Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pellie

One Too Many
Nice find, Steve. Looks like the brim curve is not as tight as one might expect from a homburg. It leans towards the camber style in that way. I like the look of that.

The height and the brim curl on this one are stunning. Great find!

Great haul, Marcel, especially the earlier Borsalinos. Now you know how a collection can quickly run into the hundreds:)
Yess, you warned me the other day via whatsapp :-D

Prince & Co Top Hat arrived today.

View attachment 423160

I'm thinking, try to bash the left side brim up rather than fix the right side down.
If only I knew how the previous owner fell :)

Luckily, I was going for the leather case.

View attachment 423161

Despite the damage, this is still one nice early 1900s Topper.

View attachment 423162
I read that bowlers and toppers were shaped using just heat (no steam). This damage could likely be corrected if the hat was heated up enough (in an oven maybe?) to bring it back into shape. That box is fabulous.

Vintage Borsalino mid 60's. The colour i think it's dark green or something, but i'm not sure. Needs a little steam and brush. Pictures seller.
View attachment 423224 View attachment 423225 View attachment 423226 View attachment 423227
It's a nice find, Marcel (certainly at that price;)). Alpestre is indeed a green, but they vary in hue. I'm sure it will clean up nicely with some TLC.

Bates Weekender. Size is 62cm or 7 3/4 US. The felt is surprisingly thin, dense, and moldable. It dry creases easily enough and it has a nice hand. I’m impressed with the felt. The raw edge brim is two inches wide and the open crown is approximately 5 1/4 inches and has moderate taper.

View attachment 423375 View attachment 423376 View attachment 423377 View attachment 423378 View attachment 423379 View attachment 423380 View attachment 423381
Nice find. Brent. Bates is a hatter of some name, but I've never handled a hat by them. The felt looks nice and thin.

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
I read that bowlers and toppers were shaped using just heat (no steam). This damage could likely be corrected if the hat was heated up enough (in an oven maybe?) to bring it back into shape. That box is fabulous.
Thanks for the tip, Stefan. I'll try baking it :)

The box was what I was after for another Top Hat, but I'd still like to save the Prince & Co.

Thanks for the tip, Stefan. I'll try baking it :)

The box was what I was after for another Top Hat, but I'd still like to save the Prince & Co.
Believe it or not but they used to do exactly that. Even had a special stove for them:
hat heater.jpg

You're living the life, Bob. You get to handle all these hats, bring most of them back to life and get to keep the very best ones: how nice is that !?

Thanks Stefan (and others for the comments and likes). I need to make the hobby self-sustaining plus I have to pay some into the "house" fund to make it appear that I'm not just doing this for my own gain.

It is fun to see and handle these hats. For some reason about 90% of the one's I've found recently have been size 7-1/8. It is great to keep one or two of the 7-1/2 LOs that I stumble across.

My wife asked why I don't sell some of the other crap we have accumulated over the decades and I said that since this was my hobby, it was fun! Selling the other stuff would just be work and I really don't want a second job right now.

Scott & Co Bowler from 1961.

View attachment 423434 View attachment 423435 View attachment 423436

Original box

View attachment 423437 View attachment 423438

Sweet letter some 12 years after:

View attachment 423439

If only it were an 8th or two of a size larger.
Trying to tweak it some.

View attachment 423441 View attachment 423440
Nice find, Steve, certainly with the box. I think I would have placed it a bit earlier than 1961, but there it is. I believe there are a few Scotts hats on Ebay UK right now, but they were pricey.

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
Nice find, Steve, certainly with the box. I think I would have placed it a bit earlier than 1961, but there it is. I believe there are a few Scotts hats on Ebay UK right now, but they were pricey.
Thanks Stefan. This one is yet another Facebook Market Place find.

Sold to me by another Brit living in Denmark :)

I look at ebay now and then, but the prices leave me leaving.

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
Believe it or not but they used to do exactly that. Even had a special stove for them:
View attachment 423433
Stefan, you are a mind of information, as if I didn't know, and I thank you for it.

I used the oven heat treatment,

20220506_212456.jpg

but went the other way to give the Prince & Co Top Hat a wings up look.

20220506_213613.jpg

Don't try this at home folks, or maybe you should :cool:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner