Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Hard to beat those hats!

My new Gannon was delivered this morning, I will get better pictures later. Its beaver dress weight in granite with a 5 1/2" open crown and a 2 3/4" pencil curled brim. Very nice!
View attachment 473503 View attachment 473504 View attachment 473505

I have more than enough hats in this colour scheme, but I find them almost impossible to resist. No regrets.

Barbisio Classic homburg in a grey colour called Egeo. Size 57, with the bound brim at 5,5cm and the crown at 10,5cm at the center dent. Lovely hand to the felt and really nice finishing to the hat.

View attachment 473741 View attachment 473742 View attachment 473743 View attachment 473744 View attachment 473745 View attachment 473746 View attachment 473747 View attachment 473748 View attachment 473749 View attachment 473750

Not there yet. This summer when I visited Daniele in Verona he had found a magnificent Morreton Velour hat for me. I knew Morreton as a middle tier manufacturer, but since then I keep an eye out for their hats to see if something of equal quality comes along. Took a chance on this one and what do you know?

Morreton Chamois in black. Size 56 with the raw edge brim at 7cm and the crown at 10,5cm at the center dent. It was the shape that attracted me to buy it, but the felt is fabulous. It is a chamois finish, but with a very short nap, close to a regular felt. Just about 100 grams of goodness. Interesting is that the Morreton logo on the sweatband was overstamped with the name Borsiliano.

View attachment 473751 View attachment 473752 View attachment 473753 View attachment 473754 View attachment 473755 View attachment 473756 View attachment 473757 View attachment 473758 View attachment 473759 View attachment 473760

Final one.

Solis fedora in a grey colour called "Giove" (Jupiter). Size 56 with the raw edge brim at 5cm and the crown at 10,5cm at the center dent. The felt is somewhat heavier than usual for a dress hat and it weighs in at 140 grams. The hand of the felt is outstanding however and as smooth as you can find them. It sports a really wide sweatband: at 6cm it is wider than its brim!
Reminds me a bit of the hats made by Laubin for Sools. This one is made for Fabrizi of Rome. Everything about it says pre-war.

View attachment 473772 View attachment 473773 View attachment 473774 View attachment 473775 View attachment 473776 View attachment 473777 View attachment 473778 View attachment 473779 View attachment 473780 View attachment 473781

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
That 100 looks great in its new home, Randall. Enjoy, my friend.

My Christmas present to myself is a Stetson “Beaver 100” sold and gifted by our Texan professor, Randy McCamey @Rmccamey
Worn proudly to Church this morning. Randy says he had Art Fawcett to shape it and put in a pencil curl. Looks magnificent and has taken top billing on a center hat hook in my living room. Felt so dense and smooth you may doubt this beauty was ever sold for just one C-note. I paid a bit more than that, but Randy let her go for a lot less than he knew it is worth.
Great guy, that Irish Texan!
Merry Christmas to all here on the lounge! View attachment 473906 View attachment 473909

View attachment 473910 View attachment 473911

This is a display I made of two unfortunate buck who had gotten into a fight over a female and in doing so, intertwined their horns which eventually led to their embarrassing and torturous demise.
Their half decayed bodies were found with their forevermore locked horns in a hay pasture not far from my house.
If you could look closer you would see where the deer frantically racked their racks against each other trying to break free.

There’s probably something us men could learn from this tragedy.

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
The lot was poorly described and the seller had very little desire to communicate: a gamble, but every now and then you have to try your luck.
Mirtillo 3.jpg

This was inside a black hat, probably German, invisible in the mess of photos.
I wish I had better luck with the size, but I'm happy with it. :)
Mirtillo 9.jpg
Borsalino Giuseppe e Fratelli size 55 cm or 4 french points.
Mirtillo Interno.jpg
The felt color is "Blueberry" and the model designation is "900"
Mirtillo etichetta carta.jpg
The logo used on the lining is very old, but not the hat which is relatively recent, it could be from 1974, interpreting the Borsalino paper labels as fortune tellers.
Mirtillo 2.jpg
Sold on the German-speaking market, you can see the wording on the sweatband, it has no store mark.
The felt is magnificent in terms of touch and thickness, as malleable as an old Borsalino, with high-class finishes
Mirtillo 1.jpg
The ribbon and brim edge are the same color and match the color of the felt.
These are the measurements: the brims are 6 cm, the ribbon is 4 cm high. and the open crown is 13.5cm.
Mirtillo 4.jpg
For everyone with a head that fits the size the hat is looking for a home.

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
This hat made by Cappellificio Cervo belongs to the batch of Barbisio and Cervo which have a quick and somewhat incomplete finish
Misto Cervo 2.jpg

I have a passion for Cervo production especially for hats called Bantam, they are often masterpieces of Italian production
Misto Cervo 3a.jpg
This had attracted me to the heather felt which is evidently a mixture of fur and wool
Misto Cervo interno.jpg
The logo used on the lining is very old, the original presented in 1934 for the patent, even if it is clear the hat is younger.
Misto Cervo 6.jpg
No indication of the color on the paper label, there is a label which is that of the manufacturing, intended to be removed
Misto Cervo 7.jpg
This led me even more to consider the hat, like others seen these days, a finished product in speed to be on the market.
The felt is nice, light enough to call it Bantam and the finish is good quality
Misto Cervo 4.jpg

Bantam Speciale Creazione Cervo. Size 59cm. or 73/8 in US, these are the measurements: the brims are at 4.8 cm, the ribbon is 4 cm high. and the open crown is 13cm.

Bird Lives

A-List Customer
In this period I bought a series of hats for various reasons, this and others for their beauty, knowing full well I would never have worn them, but perhaps I would have made some loungers happy, others because they were in interesting lots and some because they were my size
View attachment 472725
Barbisio unlined without any manufacturing label, size 57-58 centimeters or 7 1/8 - 7 1/4.
View attachment 472726
The sweatband is in satin and the felt is another splendid blue from Barbisio
View attachment 472727

I was lucky this fall I found two in my size in different blue and felts and this one which is different in felt finish and ribbon
View attachment 472730
The measures of this beauty: the brims are 6cm finished with a double stitched edge, the felt ribbon is 1.5cm and the open crown is 14cm.
View attachment 472734
I honestly wish it was my size, it isn't, so I hope it finds a new home
View attachment 472735
I have one very similar in a more wide size, I have to find it to compare :)
Hi Daniele,
What are your thoughts on beauties such as this that have the fabric sweats? Was it to make the hat lighter or a cost saving measure? What criteria do you use use when judging Sweatband materials?

Last edited:

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
Hi Daniele,
What are your thoughts on beauties such as this that have the fabric sweats? Was it to make the hat lighter or a cost saving measure? What criteria do you use use when judging Sweatband materials?
Hello there,
It is a good question and I try to answer using the observations I have acquired over years of observations of Italian and French production, the hats of central Europe are different in latitude and longitude. Let's start from the weather where the hat is sold and worn. A part of the Italian and French felt hats, suitable for mid-season, and almost all straw hats have or rather had a fabric sweatband. A matter of weight and practicality also add the light weight and a substantial desire to have hats suitable for "sweaty" days. The hats I've shown these days are, in my personal opinion, the result of last-minute "adjustments" to get on the market with medium-priced hats or to satisfy an urgent request. The Cervo with the Tyrolean cord is evidently a disassembled and reassembled hat with a new look, the Barbisio in blue has the same path. Of this same hat I have an equal version, three sizes larger, which has a black leather sweatband, quite low and honestly I would have preferred it in fabric. The criteria by which I judge the materials of the sweatband is consequent to the price range in which the hat was sold. I have a series of Italian hats in wool or blends from the 20s-30s-40s that have sweatbands in "unknown" leather, I mean poor quality, but sometimes the desire to save money from the Italian hat industry also gave rise to choices questionable, especially in low-priced production. I hope this helps, if you have any other questions I'm available.

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
After the presentation of the hats acquired in the lot, a "mysterious" black hat of German origin remains to be photographed and identified, we begin the series of "singles"
Durit esterno scatola.jpg
First of all, I consider myself lucky because the hat arrived in its original box with address and date August 18, 1933.
Durit indirizzo scatola.jpg
The box has signs of time, but it is here and I thank
Durit 7.jpg

Huckel "Durit" size 5 1/2 or 58 centimeters or 7 1/4 in the US sold in Toulouse - France.
Durit 9A.jpg
Felt has a very shiny short nap, is thick and malleable.
Durit interno.jpg
Unlined and finished well, it has a 2feeling" very appropriate to the years in which it was made
Durit 6.jpg
It arrives in Verona in excellent condition, perhaps a few small stitches on the back seam have melted, otherwise it has an "almost" new look, especially the interior which seems very little worn
Durit etichetta carta.jpg
The paper label identifies its characteristics and I leave the comments on the hat to Steve, the supreme connoisseur of the subject
Durit 9B.jpg

The measurements are as follows: the brims are at 6cm and the ribbon rises at 5.5cm, the fully open crown is 15cm high.
I don't have many Huckel hats and this time too the size is giving me away.

Randall Renshaw

Call Me a Cab

Mighty44

One Too Many
Striking hat, David. Congratulations.
Thanks, Joe! Hey when Stingymas is over I’d sure love to see that hat you once posted a picture of soaking wet. I think it was tan with a red or orange ribbon? Been waiting for that one yo make it through the rotation. ;)

Mighty44

One Too Many
Thanks, Joe! Hey when Stingymas is over I’d sure love to see that hat you once posted a picture of soaking wet. I think it was tan with a red or orange ribbon? Been waiting for that one yo make it through the rotation. ;)

Ha—that’s it! Saks Fifth Avenue—great looking hat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass