Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
A Lord Kent.

These birds seem to be rare but the felt on this fellow is very nice indeed.

More on the “Lord Kent?” thread.
IMG_8352.jpeg

IMG_8353.jpeg

This one has had a bit of journey, but it has made it to my doorstep yesterday. I owe a big thank you to Steve @Steve1857 and his sister for making this possible. Full story in the British Hatmakers thread.
T&W Lees arminto style western hat in natural felt colour. Size 57 with the bound brim at 8,5cm and the open crown at 15cm. One for the Mancunian Cowboys this one.

View attachment 540888 View attachment 540889 View attachment 540890 View attachment 540891 View attachment 540892 View attachment 540893 View attachment 540894 View attachment 540895 View attachment 540896 View attachment 540897

That’s my kind of hat. We don’t see them like this often.

IMG_20230819_172631011_PORTRAIT_Original.jpeg

Royal Scot - Playfellow Featherweight

Very Light Bone Colored Lightweight Felt
4 1/2 Crown with Diamond/Circle Pattern Side/Top Vents
Corded Hat Band
2 3/16 Brim with tight rolled underwelt
Unreeded Sweatband.

I purchased this hat from Scott at Fine Vintage Fedoras and Restoration through his eBay store. And I’d like to say first off… this may be the first vintage hat I’ve purchased that was perfect right out of the box. It was expertly shaped and so clean I didn’t even feel the need to brush it. So a big thumbs up to Scott who also appears to sell sweatbands and other hat finishing items in his eBay and Etsy store.

Let’s see what we have here in the Royal Scot Playfellow Featherweight. I may have found the perfect South Florida summer felt hat. The felt is a thin lightweight felt in a bright bone color with diamond pattern vent holes on the sides and a circular vent pattern on top of its 4 1/2 inch unlined crown. The brim measures 2 3/16 to its tight rolled underwelt edge approximating a sort of Cavanagh edge look. And it is neatly finished with a corded hat band design that I initially thought was black.. but once in the sun is actually a very dark brown.

As I had suspected considering its unreeded sweat seems to have shrunken ever so slightly enough to fit my 6 7/8 to 7 head.. feeling about size 7. Though I imagine it would easily return to its 7 1/8 size if tugged on the noggin of someone in that size.

I am incredibly happy with this hat that I’m sure it will get plenty of use in our hot and humid South Florida “summer” climate.. which lasts mostly year round. My only concern is dirtying up this fabulous felt. Hats like these are further proof that lesser known hat makers in this era were turning out some high quality and interesting hats. Not having seen many other examples of this brand of hat makes it almost impossible for me to date its production, but I would say it is quite reminiscent of hat stylings and manufacturing in the 1930s. Any further experience that might nail it down would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_20230819_172606686_PORTRAIT_Original.jpeg
IMG_20230819_172615571_PORTRAIT_Original.jpeg
IMG_20230819_172706301_Original.jpeg
IMG_20230819_172833730_Original.jpeg
IMG_20230819_172853345_Original.jpeg
IMG_20230819_172745897_HDR_Original.jpeg
IMG_20230819_172726836_HDR_Original.jpeg
IMG_20230819_172951522_Original.jpeg
IMG_4389.jpeg

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
View attachment 541503

Corded Hat Band
Unreeded Sweatband.

I purchased this hat from Scott at Fine Vintage Fedoras and Restoration through his eBay store. And I’d like to say first off… this may be the first vintage hat I’ve purchased that was perfect right out of the box. It was expertly shaped and so clean I didn’t even feel the need to brush it. So a big thumbs up to Scott who also appears to sell sweatbands and other hat finishing items in his eBay and Etsy store.

Let’s see what we have here in the Royal Scot Playfellow Featherweight. I may have found the perfect South Florida summer felt hat. The felt is a thin lightweight felt in a bright bone color with diamond pattern vent holes on the sides and a circular vent pattern on top of its 4 1/2 inch unlined crown. The brim measures 2 3/16 to its tight rolled underwelt edge approximating a sort of Cavanagh edge look. And it is neatly finished with a corded hat band design that I initially thought was black.. but once in the sun is actually a very dark brown.

As I had suspected considering its unreeded sweat seems to have shrunken ever so slightly enough to fit my 6 7/8 to 7 head.. feeling about size 7. Though I imagine it would easily return to its 7 1/8 size if tugged on the noggin of someone in that size.

I am incredibly happy with this hat that I’m sure it will get plenty of use in our hot and humid South Florida “summer” climate.. which lasts mostly year round. My only concern is dirtying up this fabulous felt. Hats like these are further proof that lesser known hat makers in this era were turning out some high quality and interesting hats. Not having seen many other examples of this brand of hat makes it almost impossible for me to date its production, but I would say it is quite reminiscent of hat stylings and manufacturing in the 1930s. Any further experience that might nail it down would be greatly appreciated.

View attachment 541504 View attachment 541505 View attachment 541506 View attachment 541507 View attachment 541508 View attachment 541509 View attachment 541510 View attachment 541511 View attachment 541512
Great Scott! Nice catch, Joe.

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
An A+ hat, Joe. Well done!

View attachment 541503

Corded Hat Band
Unreeded Sweatband.

View attachment 541504 View attachment 541505 View attachment 541506 View attachment 541507 View attachment 541508 View attachment 541509 View attachment 541510 View attachment 541511 View attachment 541512

Pellie

One Too Many
View attachment 541503

Corded Hat Band
Unreeded Sweatband.

Very cool. We can use ventholes in the netherlands also right now :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80