Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
Great looking Stetson Fifteen, Nathan. As Stefan and your good self point put, Lego is definitely not just for kids. Hope your fine motor-skills soon come back.
Thank you Steve. I started building with Lego about 6 weeks ago and it has really helped improve my cognition and motor skills. Some of these Lego sets are darn expensive, though, and cutting into my hat budget!

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
Thank you Steve. I started building with Lego about 6 weeks ago and it has really helped improve my cognition and motor skills. Some of these Lego sets are darn expensive, though, and cutting into my hat budget!
Hopefully, though, your health will be better in the long run. Plus, as long as you save the Lego boxes and instruktions, you can sell them on and add a bit to your hat budget :)

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
Hopefully, though, your health will be better in the long run. Plus, as long as you save the Lego boxes and instruktions, you can sell them on and add a bit to your hat budget :)
It’s true that Legos seem to be an investment - by which, I mean one can expect to be able to resell them. I don’t actually have that many sets yet and I am focused for now on sets that I would lIke to keep. I also find I get more benefit from building my own creations rather than following instructions so I am purchasing used bulk legos, which are much cheaper.

But there are a few sets I would like to own now that are priced in the excellent quality vintage hat range!

wsmontana

A-List Customer
It’s true that Legos seem to be an investment - by which, I mean one can expect to be able to resell them. I don’t actually have that many sets yet and I am focused for now on sets that I would lIke to keep. I also find I get more benefit from building my own creations rather than following instructions so I am purchasing used bulk legos, which are much cheaper.

But there are a few sets I would like to own now that are priced in the excellent quality vintage hat range!

If you get into Lego Mindstorms you can get into programming and robotics as well as building. You buy one set and download literally 100s of projects with instructions. Or, you can go freestyle and come up with your own creations. There is a large investment up front but it might be the way to go if you see yourself wanting to buy many individual sets of classic Lego.

Any way you go, I do wish you the best in improving your health and in enjoying yourself along the way.

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
If you get into Lego Mindstorms you can get into programming and robotics as well as building. You buy one set and download literally 100s of projects with instructions. Or, you can go freestyle and come up with your own creations. There is a large investment up front but it might be the way to go if you see yourself wanting to buy many individual sets of classic Lego.

Any way you go, I do wish you the best in improving your health and in enjoying yourself along the way.
As a kid, my very last Lego set was a technic set. I was unaware of Mindstorm until now, thank you.

And thanks also for the well-wishes. Today I am reconstructing an Akubra Fed IV: the sewing involved is even more taxing than Legos but hopefully that much more therapeutic.

Pellie

One Too Many
Today the Borsalino Bubani came in. Beautiful hat, longhair and a great grey color.
It needs a bit of steam, but it's in a mint condition.
I think early '70's.
20230902_185746.jpg
20230902_185755.jpg
20230902_185532.jpg
20230902_185541.jpg
20230902_185548.jpg
20230902_185555.jpg
20230902_185608.jpg
20230902_185643.jpg

Last edited:

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
This is an interesting one. Borsalino knock off under the name of Bartosino. Lords hat in black. Size 58 with the brim at 5,5cm and the crown at 11cm at the center dent. Quite a decent and stylish hat actually with a nice hand to the felt. A bit soft in the crown. The sweatband is very nice with a blue stitch sewn in. Petersham ribbon though. Weighs 118 grams.

bartosino_1.jpg
bartosino_2.jpg
bartosino_3.jpg
bartosino_4.jpg
bartosino_5.jpg
bartosino_6.jpg
bartosino_7.jpg
bartosino_8.jpg
bartosino_9.jpg

A Borsalino I got to resell (hence the different background for the pics). I'm kind of doubtful it is actually made by Borsalino though. The felt feels rough to the touch and there is no Borsalino label. Very lightweight at 72 grams and likely meant to be a roll-up. Size 59 with the stitched brim at 5cm and the crown at 10,5 at the center dent. So just to be complete.

borsalino ruvido59_01.jpg
borsalino ruvido59_02.jpg
borsalino ruvido59_03.jpg
borsalino ruvido59_04.jpg
borsalino ruvido59_06.jpg
borsalino ruvido59_11.jpg
borsalino ruvido59_12.jpg

The best of the lottery hats so far.
Mayser spezial homburg in black, Size 57 with the bound brim at 6cm and the crown at 10,5cm at the center dent. What can I say? Very attractive homburg with a great hand to the felt. There was a newspaper behind the sweatband with a 1969 date on it. Could be a little earlier though. Weighs 138 grams. Do I need another black homburg. NO! But if you twist my arm and sell it for €10 I can't say no. Sold originally by C. Heimbach in Hamborn, Germany. That would be Carl Heimbach and that is all I can find about him.

mayser spezial homburg_01.jpg
mayser spezial homburg_02.jpg
mayser spezial homburg_03.jpg
mayser spezial homburg_04.jpg
mayser spezial homburg_05.jpg
mayser spezial homburg_06.jpg
mayser spezial homburg_07.jpg
mayser spezial homburg_08.jpg
mayser spezial homburg_09.jpg
mayser spezial homburg_11.jpg

This is an interesting one. Borsalino knock off under the name of Bartosino. Lords hat in black. Size 58 with the brim at 5,5cm and the crown at 11cm at the center dent. Quite a decent and stylish hat actually with a nice hand to the felt. A bit soft in the crown. The sweatband is very nice with a blue stitch sewn in. Petersham ribbon though. Weighs 118 grams.

View attachment 544209 View attachment 544210 View attachment 544211 View attachment 544212 View attachment 544213 View attachment 544214 View attachment 544215 View attachment 544216 View attachment 544217
Great shape to that one

The Last Best Cowboy Hat. Custom made hat with a 4 ½” raw edge brim. 6 ½” open crown. 100% beaver. Leather hatband and stampede string with a bone or antler slider. Despite the name of the company, I’d place this hat in the bottom half of custom western hat makers. It’s a decent hat, and it’s much better than than the fist hat I received made by this company, but it’s nothing special and there are a lot better options if you’re buying new.
IMG_3514.jpeg
IMG_3515.jpeg
IMG_3516.jpeg
IMG_3517.jpeg
IMG_3512.jpeg
IMG_3509.jpeg
IMG_3507.jpeg
IMG_3510.jpeg
IMG_3508.jpeg
IMG_3511.jpeg

Continued:

IMG_20230905_181054346_Original.jpeg

Willoughby - Forest Green Heather
4 3/8 Crown as shaped
1 3/4 Dark Green Grosgrain Ribbon
2 1/8 brim with triple stitched over welt

I received an offer to purchase this Willoughby hat, that I had seen “bobbing in the ‘bay” for a bit, for just $16 and I could not say no to that deal. Right out of the box two things were apparent. First any concern I had about size was eliminated when it fit perfectly on my head and second.. the color of the felt was a much deeper darker green than in the photos. What appeared as a lighter heathered green or maybe a bit teal was actually darker forest green heather felt and a very dark green grosgrain ribbon. Quite happy about that as it is unlike anything else in my collection.

The felt is fairly dense and somewhat stiff with a medium hand to it. The 2 1/8 brim is nicely finished with a triple stitched over welt. There is no liner but I suspect it likely had one originally as there is no crown tip logo and the felt does not feel to be of the lighter weight summer composition. The 2 1/4 in sweatband is of the reeded variety taped in the rear seam and sewn in through the front side of the band with a single thread. My only other Willoughby has an unreeded sweat.. but I suspect this hat is older based on the depth of the sweat imprint. But I don’t have much else to go on with no tags under the sweat.

IMG_20230905_181141150_Original.jpeg
IMG_20230905_181121879_Original.jpeg
IMG_20230905_181159891_Original.jpeg
IMG_20230905_181416520_Original.jpeg
IMG_20230905_182150513_Original.jpeg
IMG_4506.jpeg

Here you can see the single line of thread tacking the sweat
IMG_20230905_181404173_Original.jpeg
IMG_4508.jpeg
IMG_4509.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads