Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wesne

One of the Regulars
That Champ looks great, Bolthead. As for the Bianchi, the felt looks really nice and soft, but I think I have to agree with you on that fan. It certainly has panache, though. Maybe too much panache. :)

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Wesne said:
That Champ looks great, Bolthead. As for the Bianchi, the felt looks really nice and soft, but I think I have to agree with you on that fan. It certainly has panache, though. Maybe too much panache. :)
I agree Wesne, this'll be my 1st Bianchi, I've been wanting one and I like the look of the color and style of this felt....luckily for me I just acquired some really nice grosgrain recently, so maybe I'll even change the width & color, who knows? [huh] That straw is called a "Sea Spray", it's in a Champ box only.....that's what I get out of the ad anyway. I never heard of this hat, has anyone else? :rolleyes:

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Wesne said:
That's a South African surplus field jacket. Here's a picture from a few years ago that shows more of the jacket. No hat though. :eek:

porch.jpg

Nice. I like it, could tell it had some British influence to it.

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Got this hat several days ago on ebay for $28. My first Cavanagh.

It came today, in great shape. A little dusty, it appears to have never been worn. Liner and sweatband are in perfect condition (maybe too perfect, it's still a little stiff). Brim is 2 1/2", open crown is 5". Original price was $21.

Grayish/tan color with a dark green ribbon. It has a raw edge turned to a pencil curl. No edge binding and no evidence that there was any. I've seen a few hats like this before but don't know what style they are.
Fedora? Homburg? Hybrid? What time period?

Anyways, here are the pics of it as it arrived.

Cavanaghhat001.jpg

Cavanaghhat002.jpg

Cavanaghhat003.jpg

Auction:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260237296965&ssPageName=ADME:B:EF:US:1123

bolthead

Thunder....

Very nice Cav you've acquired there.....:eusa_clap

Here's that Dunlap that I posted yesterday, well it arrived today.....nice little Summer Lid. My very 1st Stingy Straw, if you can believe that.....:D

Dunlap1.jpg
Dunlap2.jpg

DOUGLAS

Knox 15 Tom and Jerry Black

DSCN7196.jpg

DSCN7198.jpg

DSCN7199.jpg

DSCN7204.jpg

DSCN7205.jpg

DSCN7201.jpg

DSCN7202.jpg

DSCN7197.jpg

DSCN7210.jpg

The hat has a nice smokey Black color because of the felt and the ribbon is a fantastic Blue to Green cast.

Maguire

Practically Family
Well since i've never posted any hats here at all this is what i've got- my three grey fedoras first.

this first one is probably my only "good quality" fedora. It's one i got when an old neighbor passed away. He was almost 100 so i'm assuming it was old. It looks good quality, certainly better then the other ones so here goes:
DSCF0815.jpg

DSCF0816.jpg

DSCF0817.jpg

DSCF0818.jpg

Maguire

Practically Family
the other two are ones i bought (the third, brown fedora, i bought recently too but its too dusty to take a picture of right now. cheap but honestly one of the better ones i've bought.)

this here i got for 30 bucks from village hat shop.com i believe.
Its a jaxon crushable pinch front.
DSCF0819.jpg

DSCF0820.jpg

DSCF0821.jpg

This hat is honestly my least favorite of the bunch, it just has a goofy look to it, and the brim and hat is thick.. too thick it seems. It just doesn't look like a fedora to me. The brown one i own is a jaxon c crown, cost the same amount but looks much better (despite the same complaint.. too thick) Also the lining can be seen, both under the band and on the actual brim and it really adds to the cheapness aspect.

My oldest fedora, i bought several years ago and its very beaten up looking now, i believe i got it from hats.com or hatsinthebelfy.com. Its the "gangster" style fedora.. cost 30 as well (thereabouts) but it was the closest to what i liked and although its a mess now, its probably the fedora i was most pleased with.

DSCF0823.jpg

DSCF0824.jpg

DSCF0825.jpg

It is horribly out of shape. I dread the responses from these, as i'm sure most of you are used to better quality than this. Perhaps you may see me as a poser and exile me from your community :(

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
Maguire said:
... I dread the responses from these, as i'm sure most of you are used to better quality than this. Perhaps you may see me as a poser and exile me from your community :(

You, sir, are not a poser! Posers don't risk themselves by showing everything they've got.

Your Knox is probably from the 1960-1975 period. A good hat, of course.

The Jaxon is wool, and as you surmise, of lesser quality than the other two. But, if it fits, you can still get some good out of it. One thing that would make it look better would be to let the ribbon cover those stitches in front. Pull the ribbon down, then tack it with a stitch, or two, from inside the crown. It's an easy sewing project. Do be sure your thread matches the color of the ribbon, and that your stitches are on about the same level as the factory ones (same space between the top and bottom of the ribbon). If the ribbon is "puckered" (doesn't lie flat), you can dab cold water on it, all the way around, till the entire ribbon is saturated. When it dries, it will lie flat.

The shape of the Bailey is also an easy fix. You can use steam to reshape it. However, the easiest and most rewarding way, for most beginners is to dunk the entire hat in cold water, until it is saturated. Then, shape it exactly the way you want it. Hang it to dry, so that it will hold that shape while drying. It's also a good idea to try it on, from time to time, while it is drying. Once dry, it will hold the shape it dried in. Drying time is usually 2 1/2 to 3 days.

Good luck, and welcome to the Lounge. :) :eusa_clap

Maguire

Practically Family
J.T.Marcus said:
You, sir, are not a poser! Posers don't risk themselves by showing everything they've got.

Your Knox is probably from the 1960-1975 period. A good hat, of course.

The Jaxon is wool, and as you surmise, of lesser quality than the other two. But, if it fits, you can still get some good out of it. One thing that would make it look better would be to let the ribbon cover those stitches in front. Pull the ribbon down, then tack it with a stitch, or two, from inside the crown. It's an easy sewing project. Do be sure your thread matches the color of the ribbon, and that your stitches are on about the same level as the factory ones (same space between the top and bottom of the ribbon). If the ribbon is "puckered" (doesn't lie flat), you can dab cold water on it, all the way around, till the entire ribbon is saturated. When it dries, it will lie flat.

The shape of the Bailey is also an easy fix. You can use steam to reshape it. However, the easiest and most rewarding way, for most beginners is to dunk the entire hat in cold water, until it is saturated. Then, shape it exactly the way you want it. Hang it to dry, so that it will hold that shape while drying. It's also a good idea to try it on, from time to time, while it is drying. Once dry, it will hold the shape it dried in. Drying time is usually 2 1/2 to 3 days.

Good luck, and welcome to the Lounge. :) :eusa_clap
I appreciate the suggestion, i'll get working on the bailey, maybe i can get it back in action after all this time.

As for the knox, i figured it was, as it looked like something from that era. It's definitely a nice hat, if i could find a hat like that with a wider brim i'd be quite pleased. I'll look into doing what i can with the jaxon. It certainly could be worse!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24