Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

marvelgoose

One of the Regulars
panting-dog.jpg

Man, my tongue is hanging out looking at all these fantastic hats!
:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
BobC said:
WOW, Scott, that is a beauty. Did Optimo redo the ribbon for you or is that original? :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Thanks everyone. That's a new ribbon - the original one might be a bit greener, but very similar. It had a bad sweat line on the front, so Tiffany suggested changing it. I've learned by now to always let the folks at Optimo do what they think's best.

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
glittlewing said:
Now to let you know my avatar pic, that's me in 1967 taken Easter time in my home town of Delavan WI saw the thread of how did you start to wear hats? After my Dad pasted away this spring Mom told me as I found that pic of me with the hat on she said I had to be like my Dad had to have my hat on all the time like my father. Dad would get a new hat I had to have one I remember Dad had his blue gray Stratoliner and My Grand Father had his light gray Stratoliner not sure where any of them went to after the years. My Grand Father wear hats all of the time as far as I can remember after all he had become balded at the age of sixteen what better way to keep from sun burning the top of his head. My Grand Father had quit a few hats I recall many of them names I see listed as vintage (wish I had some of them today) My Dad was a plumber growing up I remember him always in a straw hats in the summer time and Scottish Tams in the winter time but in the early 70s it became unpopular to wear hats for my generation so I stopped. After my Dad passed away this spring something inside of me, a spark went off and I want to find older style hats to wear again got a Beaver Brand Hat couple of months ago and started looking on line for vintage hats and in the buy sell shops around here, got about eight different hats now still trying to get a Stratoliner in memory of my Grandfather and my Dad hard to get one thou, someday maybe. Thanks all for everyone's knowledge, pics and sharing the past is never dead it just gets passed on. Gregory Littleiwng M. Smith

Thanks for sharing this with us, sir. Memories of family and the everyday sights and sounds of their lives are powerful and soothing, especially as we grow older. As you see, you contribute to the Lounge as well; keep it up and let us see your hats when they are finished at Optimo.

Mr. Paladin

mayserwegener said:
I just got this size 58cm 1961 P. & C. Habig Homburg back from Optimo. It had some ribbon / bow damage (otherwise excellent condition) so I had that replaced plus a clean and block. The ribbon width is about the same as the original which isn't common for Homburgs (more Bowler like). I think they did a great job as usual.

After Optimo

4032329977_7cb5e1e47c_b.jpg

Another beauty sir. It appears from the photos that the ribbon they replaced was of the older style with the rear edge raw & frayed. Did you have them use the seamed edge to replace it or is that just wat came with it when it returned?

Mr. Paladin

ScottF said:
This olive-green Cav Edge MacLachlan just arrived from an Optimo cleaning - same felt feel as my Knox Twenty, maybe a tad floppier. Great-feeling, very solid hat:

MacAftSide.jpg

Nice Scott, I like the color of that one and the creasing. The ribbon is spectacular; I like the style of the tied bow. Is the wind trolley button a greyish color? It appears different on my monitor.

Mr. Paladin

High Pockets said:
This one just came this morning! A nice little gray Borsalino that brings my Borsie colletction up to four! Woo Hoo!:D
b2efdffb.jpg

Looking sharp, High Pockets! The whole ensemble is nice. Great accent with the tie. :eusa_clap

Mr. Paladin

BobC said:
Garret, I believe that one is more beautiful than the first one. Wow! What color are the felt and ribbon? Man, that wide ribbon is looking good! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

:arated: Garrett, I have to agree with Bob; I think it is even better than the first one!

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Mr. Paladin said:
Nice Scott, I like the color of that one and the creasing. The ribbon is spectacular; I like the style of the tied bow. Is the wind trolley button a greyish color? It appears different on my monitor.

Thanks, Mr. P - Normally hats come back from Optimo with just a shallow center-dent pinch (you can push them out to open-crown easily). This one arrived, bashed basically as shown, and it is perfect imo. They replaced the ribbon with one that matches the felt better (the other had just a touch of red as shown below). I hadn't noticed until you mentioned it, but it originally had a wind-cord that was missing the button - it looks like Optimo replaced the cord and added a button (silvery-green). But it all works. Here's the original hat - color is a bit more accurate than the dark-background photo:

MacLBefSide.jpg

Mr. Paladin said:
Another beauty sir. It appears from the photos that the ribbon they replaced was of the older style with the rear edge raw & frayed. Did you have them use the seamed edge to replace it or is that just wat came with it when it returned?

Thanks! This is a totally new ribbon & bow from Optimo but I think it matches the original binding. P. & C. Habig used the frayed edge up to early 60s. This 1961 Habig Homburg is very close in quality to my 1940 Habig Homburg.

BobC

indycop said:
It looked like this when I got it on ebay.

BZHqqRgBWkKGrHgoOKiEEjlLmfVPLBKlGPB.jpg

But I wanted something a bit different so it took a detour and came to me today like this.:D

100_0536-1.jpg

That looks good! The brim sits just like it's suppose to. Now I'm anxious to see how mine turns out. I might get pictures tomorrow.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
indycop said:

BZHqqRgBWkKGrHgoOKiEEjlLmfVPLBKlGPB.jpg

But I wanted something a bit different so it took a detour and came to me today like this.:D

100_0536-1.jpg

Wow - that is a fabulous hat! Great choice on the new ribbon, and giving it more pinch. That's going to be a great shirt-and-tie hat.

CRH

Call Me a Cab
indycop said:

I've been watching these. Thanks for posting the photos, IC. Yours is definitely a stumbler*.

* that stylish stuff that causes them to take a stumble off their high heels

Beauty-18-Black-Heel-Ankle-Strap-Women-S-Shoes-Womens-Designer.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou