Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Roninjedi

One of the Regulars
babs said:
Hey NICE find!!! ...is the felt in the Deluxe Fed all that and a steak and fries? Does it hold it's own to the felt in vintage lids in your eyes?

Well, I've only ever held one vintage felt. It was the Royal Stetson that was bought by Neil. The Deluxe has some of that same velvety feel but is a bit firmer in both the crown and brim. I imagine that as I wear it, take it on and off, and as it ages it'll feel even softer. I'm happy with it, but you might ask folks who have a Fed Deluxe along with several vintage felts. Can anyone out there chime in? My head size is so large that I seriously doubt I'll find very many vintage lids in my size.

Thanks for the compliments, though! I think either a Campdraft or a Fed would be great choices. Do you prefer wide or thin ribbons? Bound edge or raw? Dimensional brim? It's all up to you!

djgo-cat-go

Practically Family
Mr. Paladin said:
My new Whippet came Saturday and it is superb! The seller's description was great and it fits like a charm. I would have posted it sooner but...I was busy with the newest grandson! New Whippet and new(est) grandson all in one!

WhippetHudson001.jpg

I think this Whippet and I are going to get along just fine!

Mr.Paladin, that is a wonderful hat! Congratulations! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks to everyone who commented ont he hat & boy!

Maam, I was shopping at the Outlet yesterday for four but this sizes all seem too large for everyone except the 4 year old. I'll take him down soon and try some on. This one will have to wait a while I'm afraid.

Marvelgoose, that caption was a riot! It was also probably VERY true! And I like that Nostalgia. I saw two like it at the Outlet yesterday but they were not clean enough for dress use.

sproily

Practically Family
Hey,

I got this from our local recycling center, and as every piece of clothing there, it was free.

63068154.jpg

88894717.jpg

77196558.jpg

10892670.jpg

The size tag is paper and the make is something I didn't find with google nor have ever heard I'm thinking 60's.

Atleast it's older than I am!

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Roninjedi said:
Well, I've only ever held one vintage felt. It was the Royal Stetson that was bought by Neil. The Deluxe has some of that same velvety feel but is a bit firmer in both the crown and brim. I imagine that as I wear it, take it on and off, and as it ages it'll feel even softer. I'm happy with it, but you might ask folks who have a Fed Deluxe along with several vintage felts. Can anyone out there chime in? My head size is so large that I seriously doubt I'll find very many vintage lids in my size.

Thanks for the compliments, though! I think either a Campdraft or a Fed would be great choices. Do you prefer wide or thin ribbons? Bound edge or raw? Dimensional brim? It's all up to you!

If you really like that Fed Deluxe, and think the felt feels great, then when you get the urge for additional styles/colors of hats, buy more Akubras.

But never under any circumstances buy (or even touch) a 1940's Borsalino, or 3x Beaver Stetson. I would even stay away from '50s Royal Deluxe Open Roads.

(I love my Fed Deluxe, so no virtual beatings allowed)

MarkL

One of the Regulars
Beautiful sterling, Pete!

That hat is perfect on you, Pete, and the bash works well. You made a great choice in that hat!!

NY_Confidential said:
one of my Adam Pacesetters from Johnnyphi

"Sterling Silver" color

Do you guys like the teardrop bash it has? I was thinking of rebashing it to a center dent/forward dent? I think I'm a bit too slim to pull off this teardrop.

1000958m.jpg

billysmom

One Too Many
Champ Homburg

Another eBay impulse:

Champ.jpg

Champ-liner.jpg

Champ-Sweat1.jpg

Champ-Sweat2.jpg

Champ-Sweat3.jpg

And finally, I couldn't help but drag out my vintage gray fox/red fox coat 'cause they're a natural pair:

Champ-and-fur.jpg

The felt's nice, the condition's great and it's something completely different! I can't believe how much fun I'm having with these lids! :D :D :D

Sue

kaosharper1

One Too Many
billysmom said:
Another eBay impulse
And finally, I couldn't help but drag out my vintage gray fox/red fox coat 'cause they're a natural pair:

The felt's nice, the condition's great and it's something completely different! I can't believe how much fun I'm having with these lids! :D :D :D

Sue

Wow. Where do you keep them all?

billysmom

One Too Many
kaosharper1 said:
Wow. Where do you keep them all?

I'm considering duplicating Garrett's closet ... Since a large part of my collection came from there, anyway. ;)

Seriously, I have a couple of antique armoirs with lots of shelves and I stack the ones in boxes on top.

Sue

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
billysmom said:
I'm considering duplicating Garrett's closet ... Since a large part of my collection came from there, anyway. ;)

Seriously, I have a couple of antique armoirs with lots of shelves and I stack the ones in boxes on top.

Sue

You and Garrett have such beautiful vintage hats! I have mine displayed on two metal 5-hat racks that nail to the wall - it's almost like art, and takes up very little room. Even my hat-disliking girlfriend likes the 'art' aspect of the displays, and has suggested that I get two more racks.

I would love to see a 'top 10' from you and Garrett - you guys could almost do it purely with pre-1940 hats?

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
billysmom said:
Another eBay impulse:

Champ-and-fur.jpg

Sue

That is a very nice combo, maam. The look is great! :eusa_clap

cptjeff

Practically Family
High Pockets said:
:) I couldn't turn this one down last week!

I listed it in the "Classifieds" a few minutes ago. I bought it for the liner but couldn't bring myself to dismantling it.:)

100_2638.jpg

What was it with the 70's and the camel velors with same color felt bands? What were they smoking? :p

I replaced the ribbon on a royal stetson of the same ilk with a dark brown grosgrain, they look much better that way.

billysmom

One Too Many
RobStC said:
billysmom said:
Another eBay impulse:

Nice to see a Homburg in that sort of colour - looks great!
And is that a wind trolley/button on there as well?? Again, a bit different for a Homburg, isn't it?

RobStC

That is, in fact, a wind trolley. None of my other Homburgs has one.

Sue

glittlewing

New in Town
Great Hats From All Over

After I joined The Fedora Lounge here I have seen a lot of good looking hats and have learned a lot of different things by all of the posts. Just got the Vintage Fedora 1940's Mallory 5th Avenue yesterday light tan my wife loves the look of it paid a bit more then I wanted but when you see something you like I guess you pay the piper. Very light weight felt very airy feeling reminds me of my Grandfathers summer hat he had. Seller told me it was in good shape but there is moth bites and black streaks on the top of the crown not seen in the pics and it is going to need a block and clean to hold any kind of shape even has the Wind Trolley, could be worse. This weekend was already taking a road trip to Chicago to Optimo on the Stetsonian Bogart that I got a few weeks ago so will have two in the shower and beauty shop for a bit, hay hats need a vacation too of rest and renewal.
Now to let you know my avatar pic, that's me in 1967 taken Easter time in my home town of Delavan WI saw the thread of how did you start to wear hats? After my Dad pasted away this spring Mom told me as I found that pic of me with the hat on she said I had to be like my Dad had to have my hat on all the time like my father. Dad would get a new hat I had to have one I remember Dad had his blue gray Stratoliner and My Grand Father had his light gray Stratoliner not sure where any of them went to after the years. My Grand Father wear hats all of the time as far as I can remember after all he had become balded at the age of sixteen what better way to keep from sun burning the top of his head. My Grand Father had quit a few hats I recall many of them names I see listed as vintage (wish I had some of them today) My Dad was a plumber growing up I remember him always in a straw hats in the summer time and Scottish Tams in the winter time but in the early 70s it became unpopular to wear hats for my generation so I stopped. After my Dad passed away this spring something inside of me, a spark went off and I want to find older style hats to wear again got a Beaver Brand Hat couple of months ago and started looking on line for vintage hats and in the buy sell shops around here, got about eight different hats now still trying to get a Stratoliner in memory of my Grandfather and my Dad hard to get one thou, someday maybe. Thanks all for everyone's knowledge, pics and sharing the past is never dead it just gets passed on. Gregory Littleiwng M. Smith

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
billysmom said:
Champ-and-fur.jpg

Sue

That may be the best Homburg I've ever seen.!!! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic