Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Redwoodjedi

One of the Regulars
bendingoak said:
Just picked this gem up a few weeks ago. It has never been worn. It's like I went back in time.

DSC_3600.jpg

DSC_3601.jpg

DSC_3602.jpg
:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

An absolute beautiful Cavanagh! Sorry I just drooled all over it. Can I have it now?;)

DRB

One Too Many
Mayserwegener, I have never seen a color like that before. That would look great with a light grey outfit.

I am not sure if I could wear that one. The color is so captivating that I would probably just set it in front of me and stare at it all day.

Too bad that it does not fit you. I would like to see that one on your noggin.

Congratulations my friend!

JoshB, Thanks! I still keep looking at it. :)

DRB, I am reluctant to wear the ones that fit. This is the first gray velour I have seen in any size.

bendingoak, Fantastic Cavanaugh and in pristine condition! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Aureliano, Beautiful Milan! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap As you know I will be at W & W tomorrow!

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
DRB said:
Mayserwegener, I have never seen a color like that before. That would look great with a light grey outfit.

I am not sure if I could wear that one. The color is so captivating that I would probably just set it in front of me and stare at it all day.

Too bad that it does not fit you. I would like to see that one on your noggin.

Congratulations my friend!
That might be the most attractive of all the fuzzy hats I've seen. But it may not be simple to match it up with a color of clothes. I don't think a light gray suit is necessarily good with it--all one color isn't necessarily so wonderful. I would think any kind of dark blue, or possibly black for those who wear black, might match up better. A fit subject for experimentation.

Redwoodjedi

One of the Regulars
NDW76 said:
P1010062.jpg

P1010061.jpg

P1010060.jpg

P1010059.jpg

P1010058.jpg

P1010057.jpg

This is my new old Dobbs Carmody Fedora. It's a little snug but I hope it will stretch as it gets more wear.

Nice Dobbs ND! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap But as I understand it, as you begin to wear the hat with some regularity in your rotation, the sweat will soak into the leather sweatband and eventually shrink it. This has happened without fail on all my fedoras or hats with a leather sweatband. I highly recommend springing for two or three hat jacks to keep them stretched when not in use. They are pretty inexpensive and simple to use and I have found them to be invaluable.

Hope that helps sir!

RJ

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
bendingoak said:
I think you might be off on the era. More likely 30-40s.

I got neither at bay or vintage shop.

It's possible it's mid- to late-'40s, as that's when that particular liner (Cavanagh Hats, versus John Cavanagh, Ltd.) starts showing up. It changed in the late-'50s to drop the street address altogether. A safe bet is to say '50s, though.

Brad

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
It's sorta Vertigo. Except for the color and felt quality, some of the companies like Cavanagh and Borsalino made the exact same hats for decades with the logo or the quality of the felt being the determiner for era. The 50s hats a lot of times are just more weighty from what I've noticed as they made the transition to the harder felts that tend to be heavier which were used in dress hats of the 60s.

vertigo-1.jpg
sjff_01_img0521.jpg

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
bendingoak said:
Its funny how you don't have the hat in hand like I do but already have speculated on age , weight and almost everything about this hat.

"Weight and almost everything," including dimensions, won't tell you a thing about age with a Cavanagh, as you could buy a Cavanagh in the 1960s that was physically indistinguishable from a 1930s Cavanagh. That's how consistent Cavanagh was. The only way to date Cavanaghs with any kind of reliability is by the liner, sometimes the sweatband, and the tags inside the hat. That's why I'm confident in my estimate.

Brad

bendingoak

Vendor
Brad Bowers said:
"Weight and almost everything," including dimensions, won't tell you a thing about age with a Cavanagh, as you could buy a Cavanagh in the 1960s that was physically indistinguishable from a 1930s Cavanagh. That's how consistent Cavanagh was. The only way to date Cavanaghs with any kind of reliability is by the liner, sometimes the sweatband, and the tags inside the hat. That's why I'm confident in my estimate.

Brad

but you haven't seen under the sweatband nor are you able to read what's on the sweatband. You are assuming what the sweatband has on it.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
bendingoak said:
but you haven't seen under the sweatband nor are you able to read what's on the sweatband. You are assuming what the sweatband has on it.

Actually, I'm not even going by the sweatband, as it's irrelevant in this case. The liner tells us just about everything we need to know. The tags under the sweatband might be able to tell us if it's late'-40s or if it's definitely '50s, depending on the style.

Brad

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Brad Bowers said:

Brad
Above sweatband also appears of the 40's-50's type.

Early 1960's Cavanagh with felt as light or lighter than any other I have and of equal quality. Recently acquired not sure if I showed it in this thread.
Shortest Cavanagh Edge brim I can imagine at 1-5/8".
4712810060_eb5065e1c1_b.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy