Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
jbucklin said:
From HATCO of course!
Photo113.jpg

Very nice color on the Chatham. I see very few green hats at HATCO's Outlet.

2manyhats

Familiar Face
My First Champ...

Well, Got this off ebay the other day and I'm a little disappointed. It's not "Deep Grey" as advertised, It's Tannish Brown with an Olive Green ribbon. I'll take a better pictures of it in the sun later. But, right off the bat I saw that there were a few VERY faint spots on it, and I was hoping that I would be able to flip the brim down and pinch the front, but the front pops right back into place, and the brim is almost like cardboard. Needless to say doesn't work.
I hope SteveAS does better than I did.
Also, there is reminisce of a wind cable that was cut off and tucked away under the bow...well, I guess I only payed $21 for it. :(
DSC04340.jpg

DSC04341.jpg

DSC04338.jpg

DSC04339.jpg

DSC04343.jpg

jbucklin

Practically Family
Mr. Paladin said:
Very nice color on the Chatham. I see very few green hats at HATCO's Outlet.

Thanks Mr. Paladin. I went into the outlet to buy the sage Chatham that's been on the floor for awhile---it is priced at 60 bucks, since it has some definite flaws. I asked the manager, David, if there were any new ones in the back room and he let me go back there with him. We found the one I bought ($100) and I am so happy with this hat that I want a Chatham in every color! Unfortunately this was the only one they had in my size.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
2manyhats said:
the front pops right back into place, and the brim is almost like cardboard. Needless to say doesn't work.

Good. Homburgs weren't meant to have flipped down brims, and when people try 99% of the time it doesn't look good.

jeffconnors

A-List Customer
2manyhats said:
Well, Got this off ebay the other day and I'm a little disappointed. It's not "Deep Grey" as advertised, It's Tannish Brown with an Olive Green ribbon. I'll take a better pictures of it in the sun later. But, right off the bat I saw that there were a few VERY faint spots on it, and I was hoping that I would be able to flip the brim down and pinch the front, but the front pops right back into place, and the brim is almost like cardboard. Needless to say doesn't work.
Also, there is reminisce of a wind cable that was cut off and tucked away under the bow...well, I guess I only payed $21 for it. :(
You have to work the pinch front into it yourself, very few homburgs come with a ready made pinch front, You could steam the pitch into it if you want a pinch.
An I also agree with dinerman. Homburgs are not made to have turn down brims.....
Looks like you got a really nice hat there, I have owned a few champ homburgs in my day and I have loved everyone. The finish on the felt is fantastic on champ hats IMHO.

W4ASZ

Practically Family
Well, I like it !

2manyhats said:
DSC04340.jpg

DSC04341.jpg

DSC04338.jpg

DSC04339.jpg

DSC04343.jpg

First, say after me, "Bah ! Homburg !" This gets the negativity out of your system.

Now accept that the Gods of daBay have presented you with a really spiffy hat for small money. Get a can of Scout hat cleaner for dark hats and work on the spots, gently, or go the naphtha bath route.

You have done well, my son, if inadvertantly.

Homburgs are great !

2manyhats

Familiar Face
Dinerman said:
Good. Homburgs weren't meant to have flipped down brims, and when people try 99% of the time it doesn't look good.
jeffconnors said:
You have to work the pinch front into it yourself, very few homburgs come with a ready made pinch front, You could steam the pitch into it if you want a pinch.
An I also agree with dinerman. Homburgs are not made to have turn down brims.....
Looks like you got a really nice hat there, I have owned a few champ homburgs in my day and I have loved everyone. The finish on the felt is fantastic on champ hats IMHO.
W4ASZ said:
First, say after me, "Bah ! Homburg !" This gets the negativity out of your system.

Now accept that the Gods of daBay have presented you with a really spiffy hat for small money. Get a can of Scout hat cleaner for dark hats and work on the spots, gently, or go the naphtha bath route.

You have done well, my son, if inadvertantly.

Homburgs are great !
Wow, I had no idea it was a Homburg, Thanks guys for the support! I can't wait to wear it to college! Just got to let it air out and then clean it. "Scout hat cleaner"? Thanks W4ASZ.;)

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
2manyhats said:
Just got to let it air out and then clean it. "Scout hat cleaner"?

Try steam and brushing first. Or use a hat sponge. Scout is nasty stuff. And while some have reported good results, I myself don't think it's any good. ;)

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Oh yea! do an advanced title search for cleaning. You will find plenty of threads dealing with this topic! ;)

SteveAS

Practically Family
2manyhats said:
But, right off the bat I saw that there were a few VERY faint spots on it . . .

Light foxing is certainly not uncommonon these old hats. Have you tried brushing the hat to minimize the appearance of the spots?

2manyhats said:

Thanks. I won't be in my office to receive the hat until Monday, so time will tell . . .

2manyhats

Familiar Face
SteveAS said:
Light foxing is certainly not uncommonon these old hats. Have you tried brushing the hat to minimize the appearance of the spots?

Thanks. I won't be in my office to receive the hat until Monday, so time will tell . . .

I have to get a brush, but I was going to try that. And, I can't wait to see your lid.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Dobbs Homburg

4888680542_970aa4bfcb_b.jpg

4888635902_4713311ac9_b.jpg

4888037497_f3b4dd5784_z.jpg

Large dimensions. Color is really in the undefinable zone.Charcoal/gray/green/brown/putty. Rusty-brown edge binding and black ribbon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany