Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Dinerman said:
Steam it back into shape, wear it as is. It's not every day you run across a western that's that old. I'm not going to change a thing.
Wow, is it really a Disney? I didn't know they made western hats.
I hope you'll be posting pictures of the writing on the sweatband.
Great find.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
feltfan said:
Wow, is it really a Disney? I didn't know they made western hats.
I hope you'll be posting pictures of the writing on the sweatband.
Great find.
I don't think it is. The auction says it's marked "MW", which could just be initials of the owner, but could be a hat company?
It looks like it has a fully laced sweatband that's ribbed vertically all the way around, or maybe it's a ventilated sweat? Maybe a rolled top edge to the sweatband? It looks pretty wide, too.And that crown looks like a monster, no taper, that's for sure.

GWD

One Too Many
BobC said:
That's a beauty, GWD. I'm amazed at how you manage to find these treasures. It's probably a good thing that I don't find them.

Thanks BobC, My secret is that I have Obsessive, Compulsive Disorder and I constantly scan ebay and I found this hat as a Buy it now, so I bought it then! lol

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Dinerman said:
I don't think it is. The auction says it's marked "MW", which could just be initials of the owner, but could be a hat company?
Montgomery Ward strikes again?

Looking forward to hearing about this one.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
GWD said:
Thanks BobC, My secret is that I have Obsessive, Compulsive Disorder and I constantly scan ebay and I found this hat as a Buy it now, so I bought it then! lol

That is a self-diagnosed disorder is it??....memo to self *book psychologist for 2 hours on couch*...

Two Gun Bob

One of the Regulars
It would make sense, and worth a try at the price.

kaosharper1 said:
Two Gun: Would you say this lighter felt might be good in warmer weather than an Akubra? Having just moved to Southern California from Massachusetts I thought that my hat wearing pattern would change a little and maybe I should get some lighter felts.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Dinerman said:
Steam it back into shape, wear it as is. It's not every day you run across a western that's that old. I'm not going to change a thing.

Interesting. I recently received a Stetson western that I bought for the same reason. I'll be posting pix when I finish resizing it and replacing the sweatband which was beyond saving. The liner has what I think is an earlier logo design - more like a 'shield' shape trademark. I'd like your opinions on it when I get it posted.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
It got here today. Nice felt, very soft, yet dense, but with a strange stiffness to the individual hairs in it.
Not in the best of shape, but it's got character. (and oddly enough, not a single moth bite)

6-1/2" crown
3-1/2" brim

IMG_8135.jpg

IMG_8136.jpg

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
GWD said:
WOW! I love the sweatband, are you going to try and clean it up or leave it as is?

I think I'm going to leave it the way it is. I'm leaving for Montana/Utah/Idaho in a couple of days. This hat's coming with.

ADHD librarian

One of the Regulars
another op-shop lid

I was out looking around the local op-shops with my daughter today (she is having an 80s themed party and needed Dr Martins Boots, a wide belt and a denim jacket).

Well, my eye fell upon a fur felt hat.
"The Parkchester" Exclusive to The Myer Store For Men. Superior Quality Fur Felt.

Size 7 1/8 (as it fits me I'm guessing that'd be UK size. Which indicates it is pre metric Australian sizes), stitched in liner.
Lots of moth damage to the ribbon, but only one nibble on the felt, which you can see in picture one.
Parkchester001.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
8panelnewsboy