Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Rlk's stack-o-hats has bumped the status of the Great Wall as the only man made structure visible from space.

And now one from the bargain bin. $4.99 on eBay. 60's(?) Andhurst stingy brim. I'm guessing Andhurst was either a dept. store or a regional clothing brand.

The felt is worn to a tiny hole at the front pinch and very thin at the back. A little hot glue and some first-aid gauze on the inside, and it should last another lifetime. With a little manipulation, you can't even see the damage at the front. Not something I would do with an expensive hat, but with a beater, why not?

I's beat up, crumpled and stained, but it does have character. I may wind up wearing this more than I do my Akubras or Stetson. ;)

andhurst3_th.jpg

some times those "beater" hats are the funnest (please forgive my grammar :eusa_doh:) to wear. because you aren't as worried if the brim is not perfect or if someone will get something on it...

And a friend gave me this straw-
d888c059.jpg
d9556183.jpg

Cool hat but just a bit too small. When I put it on the sides curl up so stretching it will most likely do the same I'm guessing :)

There's a whole lot of appeal in a hat like this one -- inexpensive, so a person doesn't fret much about it, but still a "proper" hat, with nice lines and enough brim to keep the sun off one's face and neck. I have a few el cheapo straws myself, for wear on those warm days when I know I'm likely to get sweaty. Wouldn't wanna sweat stain a Montecristi, you know.

DRB

One Too Many
I am glad you guys and gals with a lot of hats are here, otherwise it could get a little boring around here.

Johnny J

Call Me a Cab
I bought this hat on ebay couple of weeks ago. Its a Stetson Royal DeLuxe. It has some moth tracks, but nothing major. Could anyone tell me what year or decade its from? Thanks.
DSC02799.jpg

DSC02798.jpg

DSC02792.jpg

These two pics are with flash, so color looks different.
DSC02797.jpg

DSC02796.jpg

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Ok, this one is not really new to my collection. But then, in a way, it is...somehow...

Some of you will remember the adventurous story of my Louis Custom Hatters. Those who don't can still read it up here.

There really is something...hmmm...let me call it 'fateful' about this particular hat. Back in August I had a cable fire that not only did away with my telly and dvd player, it also sooted my Stetson Sovereign. I tried a couple of times to clean that nasty area on the brim but it wouldn't work. What the fire also did was that it torched the brim of my lil' Louis. :eusa_doh:

For two month I kept gazing at the damage but didn't dare to do the only possible thing which was to trim that brim! And what a brim it was! Not just your average bound or welted brim. Of course it had a Cav. edge!

Two days ago I finally decided that I was not willing to admit defeat and did what I had to do. I trimmed off the brim, put in a new sweat and replaced the ribbon. I have to say that I actually like the outcome. The brim was once 2 3/4", now it is down to 2 1/4"...

I tried to go with a deep center dent at first, which gave the hat a nice 30's look with its high crown, raw edge(!) and all but in the end I reverted back to a 4-point diamond (now that comes in as a huge surprise to you, eh?), even though this time I opted for some softer lines than I usually do. It looks less pinched that way.

Well, here you go anyway - Louis Custom Hatters Mark III or The Second Resurrection:

Louis-Custom-Hatters-Trimmed.jpg

Caution! The following image is not for the faint of heart:

This is what the Cavanagh edge looked like after I trimmed it off.

louis_burned_edge.jpg

Last edited:
Johnny J,
Very nice Stetson you got there, I like the contrasting brim edge ribbon.

Beautiful Louis Custom there Mario. I like the bash, although a center dent would look nice, but those diamonds seem to suit you.

Chinaski

One Too Many
I bought this hat on ebay couple of weeks ago. Its a Stetson Royal DeLuxe. It has some moth tracks, but nothing major. Could anyone tell me what year or decade its from? Thanks.
DSC02799.jpg

DSC02796.jpg

Some of the best felt I own is Royal Stetson Deluxe. This hat appears to be very nice as well. Looks like a keeper!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou