Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
Bingles said:
I have admired all of you who have had the chance to order such wonderful custom hats, done by Art or Optimo (to name a few).

I have always owned wool felt hats since they were in my price range as well as the most common on the internet. For the upcoming Fall/Winter season I decided I would treat myself and get my first fur felt hat. To my great surprise, I found out we have an award winning custom hatter right here in Buffalo.

Today I stopped by to meet the Custom Hatter of Buffalo, Gary White. I spent over and hour in his store as he showed me all the fascinating tools of the trade as well as sharing so many wonderful stories of his passion of hat making. As a History major and lover of hats, I could have stayed there for hours more chatting with him. I felt right at home, and Gary helped me design just what I was looking for.

The feel of 100% beaver fur is amazing!! So much different than wool!!! I decided on a gray thee point pork pie hat, with black band and matching trim. It should be ready sometime in October, and will go for a fitting again before it is completed. I'm so excited and look forward to showing off my custom lid when it is ready.

Keep us posted on how the fitting goes. And we'll all be expecting pictures come October!

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
After placing my order a mere 13 months ago this arrived today...

p1013037kp4.jpg

p1013040mw4.jpg

p1013027qr6.jpg

AlanC

Steve creased it. That's his Crystal Skull bash. I figured best to let him do it since he knows better than anyone what it's supposed to be like.

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
:eusa_clap Nice lid Alan. So..............I know it must have been worth the wait, but what do you think about it. Good fit and finish, etc

AlanC

It's stiffer than I expected, that would be the thing that would jump out first to me. I understand they soften over time. I won't be sitting on it to speed that up, though. The sweat is sewn in neat and smooth, there's a slight wrinkle in the liner (very minor quibble). The front brim has a slight crease in it from where it was snapped down, I suppose. Again, not a significant issue. The bow and ribbon work looks very nice.

If I were going to judge head to head, I would give the nod to Art on finish. That's not meant as a knock on the AB in any way. It also might not be a fair comparison as I've done multiple hat projects with Art (and his are the only custom hats I have) so his work in my benchmark. I've only had this hat a few hours.

The fit on this is the slightest bit loose, but I also just had a haircut a few days ago (and all it is is just a 'hair' off). Of course, all Steve had to go on was my self-measurement. I'm nitpicking, but trying to give honest first impressions.

The main negative is that it's in the 90s here and I'm not wearing heavy felt for a few more months.

It's a fantastic hat. I have no regrets in ordering it or waiting for it. I have a Traveler Gray on order with Steve, too, and now I can focus on anxiously awaiting it! :)

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
Thanks for the fair assessment Alan. You certainly have a piece of movie history and a wonderful looking one at that. I know what you mean about Arts work. My PB custom doesn't stand a chance compared to a VS, though I image the AB is a fairer comparison than a PB[huh]

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
Awesome hat there, Alan! Also, you should plug yourself for photo shoots in your spare time, those photos there look nice! :D

The warmer months of summer are also the big reason in that I'm not enjoying my newer felt hats (err, new to me). Give it some time and we'll all be back in the felts again!

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
ScionPI2005 said:
Awesome hat there, Alan! Also, you should plug yourself for photo shoots in your spare time, those photos there look nice! :D

The warmer months of summer are also the big reason in that I'm not enjoying my newer felt hats (err, new to me). Give it some time and we'll all be back in the felts again!

Move to the Pacific NW and you can wear felt ALL YEAR LONG!:D :D :D :D

oh.................................and a rain coat

AlanC

ScionPI2005 said:

Thanks! In light of what you said I'd like to offer to take pictures of any 7 3/8 hat for free. Just PM me for my address and I'll snap those photos...eventually...;)

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
handlebar bart said:
Move to the Pacific NW and you can wear felt ALL YEAR LONG!:D :D :D :D

oh.................................and a rain coat

I get you there. Even here in the "Sunshine State" it's been so rainy each afternoon/evening that I'm gettin' good play out of certain felts which I'm willing to wear in the summer heat. The Panamas are great for this temperature but they just don't do as well in the downpours! Which is fine by me; even though I love my straws, I'd not like to limit to them exclusively for the majority of each year.

indycop

I'll Lock Up
AlanC said:
It's stiffer than I expected, that would be the thing that would jump out first to me. I understand they soften over time.
I have not been wearing mine all that much and it has still softened up quite a bit. I will be wearing the mess out of it this week since I am leaving for Tennessee in about 4 hours but I think of the felt as not really thick but dense if that makes any sense.

It looks great with the CS crease!:eusa_clap

MrFusion

One of the Regulars
Nice AB Alan!
I have one on order myself. I might get it in time for the cooler weather but no rush. I knew going in it could take awhile. ;)

Any chance of getting a picture or two of the liner and sweat? Oh, and one with you wearing it? :)

AlanC

Here are a couple of pics of the interior. I'll try to get some pics of me wearing it, too. On the inside of the sweat Steve has written in my name and other details of the order, which is nice.

p1013043ar4.jpg

p1013045vn4.jpg

MrFusion

One of the Regulars
Really nice! :eusa_clap
I look forward to seeing it on your noggin!

Did Steve sign the sweat too? Just curious as I have seen a hat where he had signed the sweat.

AlanC

MrFusion said:
Really nice! :eusa_clap
I look forward to seeing it on your noggin!

Did Steve sign the sweat too? Just curious as I have seen a hat where he had signed the sweat.

Yes, it's dated, then says "Handmade for [me] by Steve Delk" with his name signed. Then off to the side it says "Indy 4". That's all handwritten and is on the reverse of the sweat behind the Adventurebilt imprint.

MrFusion

One of the Regulars
Very nice!
It's a beautiful hat, Alan. The Traveler Gray you have on order with Steve is the other AB I would like to get but it sounds like Steve has enough work for quite awhile now!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn