Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DRB

One Too Many
mayserwegener: The above Wegener Homburg looks like it has only been worn once or twice. Wonderful condition. You have been finding some really good ones lately.

Viktor

One of the Regulars
Stetson Whippet - my first purchase for the New Year 01/01/2011

Thanks to a FL member for selling me this gem in house.

whippet_brown_2.jpg

Last edited:

T Rick

Practically Family
Mallory Ten, it'll need a cleaning (and maybe a new ribbon), but it's a great old hat. Wore it downtown to Henry The Hatter's yesterday. The Proprietor (I think?) Paul loved the hat, and complimented me (and so you folks here) on my hat knowledge (what little I do possess has largely come from here).

Quoted me $25 to clean (by hand, so as not to removed the gold printing from the sweat band, and no lining removal) and block the hat, another $7.50 for a new ribbon. Going to try to clean the ribbon here myself first, but it may end up there yet. Really enjoyed talking hats and hat history with him, and I think he enjoyed it even more!

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Hat has a nice triple stitched overwelt, is in generally really good condition. My guess was late 50's to early 60's, Paul said he thought that was in the ballpark, leaning more towards the 50's. I need to go through some threads here to see about date details. Really like this one.

Last edited:

Canadian Cowboy

One of the Regulars
Mallory Ten, it'll need a cleaning (and maybe a new ribbon), but it's a great old hat. Wore it downtown to Henry The Hatter's yesterday. The Proprietor (I think?) Paul loved the hat, and complimented me (and so you folks here) on my hat knowledge (what little I do possess has largely come from here).

Quoted me $25 to clean (by hand, so as not to removed the gold printing from the sweat band, and no lining removal) and block the hat, another $7.50 for a new ribbon. Going to try to clean the ribbon here myself first, but it may end up there yet. Really enjoyed talking hats and hat history with him, and I think he enjoyed it even more!

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Hat has a nice triple stitched overwelt, is in generally really good condition. My guess was late 50's to early 60's, Paul said he thought that was in the ballpark, leaning more towards the 50's. I need to go through some threads here to see about date details. Really like this one.

Nice Lid,Did you go to the Metro downtown Store?
CC

T Rick

Practically Family
Nice Lid,Did you go to the Metro downtown Store?
CC

Thanks! Yes, I wanted to pick up a hat stretcher for a beautiful old Trimble I got this week. I have to admit, until reading your post, I wasn't aware there was another location (I now see they're in Southfield). No matter, downtown was nearly as close for me. I'll get out and check out the Southfield store soon too though.

Trombone

Familiar Face
Longtime lurker, few time poster-

Just found this hat at the ValuThrift nearby. I was browsing through the vintage section across from the hats and noticed the rough felt, LOW AND BEHOLD A BORSALINO!!! I don't know much about the hat other than it is a Borsalino "Silchi" made for Juster Brothers, it fits me at a perfect 7 3/8, and is in nearly perfect condition. The only less than perfect parts is the messed up bow tie on the sweatband (which I don't care, it doesn't show) and a spot or two on the liner. Could anybody tell me more info about it. Sorry, can't post pictures (can't figure out how to), but it has a weird stitched edge. It is very light grey with a rough finish and the band on the outside is felt the same color of the rest. Here's a link to the same hat on ebay

http://buy.id.ebay.com/buying/id/display/250718855811_Borsalino-Silchi-Italian-Gray-Fedora-Hat-Sz-7-38

The hat is my avatar.

What do you think?

Canadian Cowboy

One of the Regulars

Just found this hat at the ValuThrift nearby. I was browsing through the vintage section across from the hats and noticed the rough felt, LOW AND BEHOLD A BORSALINO!!! I don't know much about the hat other than it is a Borsalino "Silchi" made for Juster Brothers, it fits me at a perfect 7 3/8, and is in nearly perfect condition. The only less than perfect parts is the messed up bow tie on the sweatband (which I don't care, it doesn't show) and a spot or two on the liner. Could anybody tell me more info about it. Sorry, can't post pictures (can't figure out how to), but it has a weird stitched edge. It is very light grey with a rough finish and the band on the outside is felt the same color of the rest. Here's a link to the same hat on ebay

http://buy.id.ebay.com/buying/id/display/250718855811_Borsalino-Silchi-Italian-Gray-Fedora-Hat-Sz-7-38

The hat is my avatar.

What do you think?

Nice find!Did you pay much for it?Welcome to the lounge as well.
CC

rlk

I'll Lock Up

The hat is my avatar.

What do you think?
Welcome to the Lounge. What would you like to know? I too have a Borsalino "Silchi" sold by Juster Brothers, looks the same, but it is brown and dates to 1978. The Borsalinos of this period actually do have the production year on the sticker that is at the inside base of the crown beneath the sweatband on the side. It is a silk finish with long fur fibers some of which are drawn from the felt with a wire brush to create the texture.

Trombone

Familiar Face
I only paid...get this...$6!!! Still can't find the date stamp (not looking hard enough I guess). This is the same thrift store that I found my 50's Forsheim Wingtips. Thanks for the information rlk, this hat is quite a change from my cheap (but 1st. real) brown Scala Fedora, but I wear it most places and it has taken a recent rainstorm great, no warping, just needed to dry out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sirteen