Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
I have to add congratulations, Does the liner have an oilskin cover on it? I'm not totally sold on the idea of it being 20's yet...
Also on the note of it being beaver, highly unlikely, there is no evidence of UK hat manufacturers using beaver. All the evidence I've found on the Denton hat industry (where Dunn's where made) point to the fact they were rabbit with the lower quality ones using rabbit /wool mix.

I am doing more digging on Dunn at the moment, but the theory put forward about the G.A. Dunn & Co name being used before GA's death and then Dunn & Co. afterwards seems to be false as I've dug up adverts using the name Dunn & Co. from around 1915 and G.A. Dunn adverts from up to the 60's. Seems to have been a brand thing, the only G.A. Dunn hats you normally see are the higher quality ones.

I do agree that the style is very 1920's though (at least in terms of US fashions), but Britain's styles evolved in a different (often slower) manner.

Again congrats, looks great on you.

Thank You very much Billy! I really appreciate it. The liner does appear to have an orange-ish/yellow-ish oilskin liner. After some discussion on the lounge, I would agree that the hat is most likely a very fine rabbit (or other blend of fur felt) and not beaver at all. It was very interesting because the felt responds like beaver, but as Robert and several others have discussed, the certain type of bounce back or pliability could be attributed to the use of the certain type of shellac that was used at that time. After examining the hat more closely, I really think it dates to the mid to late 30's. It most definately has 20's styling, but as you said, styling evolved slower in the UK. After reading through some other threads and looking at some other Dunn's, I would agree with you that the hat isnt 20's. I would really like to find out more about G.A. Dunn & Co. Every Dunn hat that ive handled has been very good quality and the workmanship is always very nice. Was G.A. Dunn sort of like the "Stetson" of the UK?

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Knox Vagabond.

12.jpg

Details here: http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?40409-quot-The-Society-of-Vagabonds-quot/page10

billyspew

One Too Many
Thank You very much Billy! I really appreciate it. The liner does appear to have an orange-ish/yellow-ish oilskin liner. After some discussion on the lounge, I would agree that the hat is most likely a very fine rabbit (or other blend of fur felt) and not beaver at all. It was very interesting because the felt responds like beaver, but as Robert and several others have discussed, the certain type of bounce back or pliability could be attributed to the use of the certain type of shellac that was used at that time. After examining the hat more closely, I really think it dates to the mid to late 30's. It most definately has 20's styling, but as you said, styling evolved slower in the UK. After reading through some other threads and looking at some other Dunn's, I would agree with you that the hat isnt 20's. I would really like to find out more about G.A. Dunn & Co. Every Dunn hat that ive handled has been very good quality and the workmanship is always very nice. Was G.A. Dunn sort of like the "Stetson" of the UK?

I'm working on the info!

Dunn was a men's wear shops, one of the few who woud have a shop in every large-ish town in Britain. They were particularly know for hats and tweed. Going to be in Denton this weekend and hoping to get away from friends on the Saturday to do a little digging on the hat industry there.

Thank You very much Billy! I really appreciate it. The liner does appear to have an orange-ish/yellow-ish oilskin liner. After some discussion on the lounge, I would agree that the hat is most likely a very fine rabbit (or other blend of fur felt) and not beaver at all. It was very interesting because the felt responds like beaver, but as Robert and several others have discussed, the certain type of bounce back or pliability could be attributed to the use of the certain type of shellac that was used at that time.

I wouldn't say beaver is softer and more pliable than rabbit / hare. It is definitley more dense and durable but not always the best for certian finishes. Beaver is usually more pricey although there are also very expensive rare exotic wild hare varities.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
I wouldn't say beaver is softer and more pliable than rabbit / hare. It is definitley more dense and durable but not always the best for certian finishes. Beaver is usually more pricey although there are also very expensive rare exotic wild hare varities.

Have you ever had a hat that was composed of some of the rare varieties of wild hare?

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
1950's Stetson Royal De Luxe

Heres my new Stetson Royal De Luxe that I received on Saturday from ebay. It looks like an Open Road, but doesnt list it anywhere. The auction pictures made the hat look like a very light blue, but its actually a very white-ish grey. As you can see from the pictures, I couldnt get the hat to photograph with the same color in any picture. But if I had to describe it, I would say its a snow white with grey undertones....overtones........uh....some sort of tone. Anyways, the condition is fantastic. I can honestly say, the sweatband is the nicest ive seen on a 1950's Stetson. Its soft, smooth, pliable, and smells like a new car. There is no store logo on the sweatband, just the Stetson markings. I would be shocked if the hat was ever worn. I was hesitant to buy a Long Oval hat because ive never had one before. I must say, this is the best fitting hat Ive ever had. I think I must be a long oval because most 7 hats fit just fine, but the front and back always seem snug. With this 7 Long Oval, I actually sweat less in the hat because the leather is not pressed up against my skin. Im very happy to have figured this out. I can still wear 7 and 7 1/8 just fine, but if I have a choice now, 7 Long Oval it is. THIS is my Texas hat for sure. I love this high crown and the thin ribbons are really growing on me. I still loves my WAR's but the TAR's are creeping up in my collection. I still have to take pictures of that Lee Bon Voyage I won about a week ago. Heres some pics:

1950sStetsonOpenRoad2.jpg

1950sStetsonOpenRoad1.jpg

1950sStetsonOpenRoad4.jpg

1950sStetsonOpenRoad5.jpg

1950sStetsonOpenRoad3.jpg

1950sStetsonOpenRoad6.jpg

1950sStetsonOpenRoad7.jpg

1950sStetsonOpenRoad8.jpg

1950sStetsonOpenRoad9.jpg

1950sStetsonOpenRoad10.jpg

Josh,

That is a spectacular hat. I am a big fan of the TAR's myself and that is an excellent specimen,
even though it doesn't say OR, it is a dead ringer for one. Great color and looks at home on your head. Congrats on that one, should be a great Texas hat!

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Not that I am aware but some of my old Velours might. I have a friend that does so I will have to track down some photos.

That would be neat to see what kind of differences there are between wild Hare and "regular" rabbit. I still love those Seal Velours that you have, Steve. The sheen and texture just look amazing.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Josh,

That is a spectacular hat. I am a big fan of the TAR's myself and that is an excellent specimen,
even though it doesn't say OR, it is a dead ringer for one. Great color and looks at home on your head. Congrats on that one, should be a great Texas hat!

Thank you very much, hatophile! I really appreciate it. Ive just been calling the hat an open road, so if its not actually one, I will always think of it as an open road in spirit. LOL.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Monday is European Hat Day.

3 hats purchased over a 5 week span arrived today.

Oxford Blue(France)
5506442131_40944e313a_b.jpg
5506443943_5f0f682c48.jpg

5506439827_6d8a62bf3d.jpg

Borsalino
5506956906_d6cb18f213_b.jpg
5506373561_a87e8aef22_z.jpg
5506361981_c5d5693344_z.jpg
5506968880_ef50ed840e.jpg

Hückel(Weilheim, Germany)
5506411385_02300c1230_b.jpg
5507007104_85b31b74fd_z.jpg
5507004746_4063001f1f.jpg

Last edited:

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Wow, wow, and wow. Those are great.
Is the sweat as small as it looks on the blue one, and does it fold-up along the ridges?

The Borso really ups the ante on Stetson's wafer edge.

I love the blue jay feathers in the Huckel. I've been thinking of putting some cardinal and blue jay feathers in my hats, as opposed to those odd birds often used.

Last edited:

buler

I'll Lock Up
That Huckel is just too ugly of a hat to keep. I think you should bring that with to Texas and I'll "dispose" of it for you. Seriously, great hats! The felt on that borso looks great.

B

Rodkins

Call Me a Cab
Is the sweat as small as it looks on the blue one, and does it fold-up along the ridges?

I love the blue jay feathers in the Huckel. I've been thinking of putting some cardinal and blue jay feathers in my hats, as opposed to those odd birds often used.
:arated:
That Huckel and the Borso are very sweet.

rlk

I'll Lock Up

Thanks Lefty. It is only a 1-3/8 wide sweat, but a very stiff reed and substantial felt firmness despite its light weight. Even removing the very structural porkpie crease it wouldn't fold up so it must be decorative. They are pleats that are sewn at the base rather than just a fold so like ribs.

The Borso really ups the ante on Stetson's wafer edge.
5 rows of stitching!

The Borso has a malodorous combination of mildew and general dirt on all surface so requires major congestion or a nose plug to stomach at the moment.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points