Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SteveAS

Practically Family
As I posted in the ebay thread, I bought a lot of three hats for a poorly photographed and described brown Stetson. I was delighted to receive a NOS 3x in perfect condition. It's made of Suede Finish felt, which is a sort of short nap velour, which I haven't felt before. The Stetson size tag, liner, and crest dating threads suggest it's from the 1940s. It's a distinctive shade of brown, which I'm happy to add to my collection.

As received:

IMG_0462.jpg

Note the cord-type reed:

IMG_0464.jpg

IMG_0465.jpg

IMG_0468.jpg

No liner cover:

IMG_0466.jpg

After a quick dry crease:

IMG_0470.jpg

Last edited:

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Borsalino/Balbi "Hyde Park" Featherweight

5641860263_6a03beebcf_z.jpg
5641863499_906b04a9ac_z.jpg

Fluffy light and has a fabric vapor barrier as wide as the sweatband. Color is Bronzo.

Last edited:

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Great hat, but it's a shame about that leather bleed-through. That's what keeps me from wearing my Casual.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Great hat, but it's a shame about that leather bleed-through. That's what keeps me from wearing my Casual.
Dimension matches sweat, but the liner and reed cloth are between the felt and the leather and show no effect and it looks virtually unworn--can't understand it.
5646984604_ebf9918d35_z.jpg

Last edited:

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Dimension matches sweat, but the liner and reed cloth are between the felt and the leather and show no effect and it looks virtually unworn--can't understand it.
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5101/5646984604_ebf9918d35_z.jpg[/IMG[/QUOTE]

It certainly does look to be unworn. If you have any luck removing the ring, please let me know. Graham was unable to fix mine, so I'm thinking about a (very) wide ribbon.

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
5646984604_ebf9918d35_z.jpg

Maybe there was a hat stacked on top of it causing the discolor...[huh] Beautiful anyway!

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Maybe there was a hat stacked on top of it causing the discolor...[huh] Beautiful anyway!

Nope. The reaction penetrated the liner but not the doubled-up reed cloth. The color is lighter on the inside and the outside of the felt including under the ribbon down to the narrower reed cloth line. Weird[huh]

buler

I'll Lock Up
Nope. The reaction penetrated the liner but not the doubled-up reed cloth. The color is lighter on the inside and the outside of the felt including under the ribbon down to the narrower reed cloth line. Weird[huh]

Maybe an outgassing reaction from one of the chemicals involved in the leather tanning process?

B

I believe I have / had an Adam with a similar situation. I will have to take a look.

It's near the brim edge on both sides but not as pronounced (darker at bit purplish). I really couldn't get a good photo of it. This hat is NOS and was boxed for a long time.

5647578472_998a2ce572.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany