Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I hate it when that happens!!! I've had 2 Canadian Stetsons that have had discoloration around the bottom of the crown like that....

Ranch101.jpg

Here it shows in a Miller Bros' Ranch 101.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Just made an impulsive purchase that I couldn't really justify, but it seemed really neat: I happened across an old hat block in my size while antique shopping (7 1/8, though I'm an L.O. and this is not). There are a few other numbers carved into the bottom in addition to "7 1/8." I will post photos when I can take them.

It is stamped "Tangalakis Chicago."

I paid $65 for it, which seems maybe a little high to me, but it was too neat to pass up...

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Nope. The reaction penetrated the liner but not the doubled-up reed cloth. The color is lighter on the inside and the outside of the felt including under the ribbon down to the narrower reed cloth line. Weird[huh]

That IS weird... what a mystery! :noidea:

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Great hat, but it's a shame about that leather bleed-through. That's what keeps me from wearing my Casual.

Now there's a strange - and sad - coincidence. Those Rainbows really seem to be pretty rare beasts. I think I've encountered only two of them so far, this one here included. The other specimen was offered on the 'Bay last year. Beautiful light gray felt with red/rosè ribbon and binding. And it was a 6 7/8! Perfect! It had me trembling with excitement, really. But...in the end I didn't bid because the leather had bled through the felt and there were also some faint markings on the brim as well... :(

I've saved the photos, though. Looked like this (I wouldn't have kept the feather...):

dobbs_rainbow_01.jpg

dobbs_rainbow_02.jpg

Last edited:
Now there's a strange - and sad - coincidence. Those Rainbows really seem to be pretty rare beasts. I think I've encountered only two of them so far, this one here included. The other specimen was offered on the 'Bay last year. Beautiful light gray felt with red/rosè ribbon and binding. And it was a 6 7/8! Perfect! It had me trembling with excitement, really. But...in the end I didn't bid because the leather had bled through the felt and there were also some faint markings on the brim as well... :(

I've saved the photos, though. Looked like this (I wouldn't have kept the feather...):

dobbs_rainbow_01.jpg

dobbs_rainbow_02.jpg

pw004-7.jpg

I think that's this hat, Mario, which actually turned out to be a greenish color with a rust ribbon. That's the hat I got with the same discoloration as Robert's. Go figure?
By the way, turns out the feather is actually a fishing fly which is kind of cool, so I kept it.

Mario

I'll Lock Up
pw004-7.jpg

I think that's this hat, Mario, which actually turned out to be a greenish color with a rust ribbon. That's the hat I got with the same discoloration as Robert's. Go figure?
By the way, turns out the feather is actually a fishing fly which is kind of cool, so I kept it.

Greenish with a rust colored ribbon...!

Now if this is really the same hat I guess I'd have ended up slightly miffed by the rather obvious color difference. If I remember correctly, the seller didn't state that the actual color differed from the photos. Oh my...

Stetson Standard Quality Feather Weight

Ebay auction from a couple of weeks ago. The hat has some meurth cavities that were hidden behind the ribbon edges - the seller was kind enough to refund some of the cost. Otherwise, it is in nice condition - soft lightweight felt. More pictures on the Pre-1940's Stetson Dress Hats thread

ss10.jpg

ss7.jpg

interesting stitching embellishes the raw brim edge:

ss8.jpg

quatro pleating on the ribbon:

ss11.jpg

ss14.jpg

ss13.jpg

ss3.jpg

ss1.jpg

Greenish with a rust colored ribbon...!

Now if this is really the same hat I guess I'd have ended up slightly miffed by the rather obvious color difference. If I remember correctly, the seller didn't state that the actual color differed from the photos. Oh my...

That's Ebay for you. Fortunately, I liked the color, was looking for a green hat anyway.

Super Stetson, Alan, that's fabulous. Congrats on that one.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Heres is the lot of hats that I recently bought off of ebay. The man that owned these hats had great taste. 3 out of 4 of the hats have very nice and straight blocked crowns. All of the hats except for one have cavanagh edges and from what I can tell, there isnt anything less than a beaver 20 among them. The black hat is a Dobbs 30 Golden Coach, the very light gray hat is a Dobbs 40, the tan colored hat is a KC Custom Made 20, and the grey-lavender undertone hat is a Custom Made 20. These really are exceptional hats.
DSC05318.jpg

DSC05317.jpg

Chinaski

One Too Many
Thanks, Guys!! Unfortunately, the shelf is used for other things, so if I left the hats there, the fiancée wouldn't be too happy. Ive already taken over numerous tables, chairs and shelfs in the house that my hats currently occupy. Its like the hats have taken over the house.[huh]

There would certainly be more room if she left. I kid, I kid!! Those look like some great hats, Josh.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
1950's Custom Made XX (20)

This is one of the hats from the ebay lot I bought. Some of the others have been posted in the Dobbs Diner. This Custom Made XX is just the most incredible color. Its a medium grey-lavender. Its not a long hair, but has a longer knap than usual and therefore has a great shine. Its incredibly high quality felt. The size/block label reminds me of the labels that Mallory used in the 50's.

DSC05256.jpg

DSC05238.jpg

DSC05239.jpg

DSC05240.jpg

DSC05254.jpg

DSC05255.jpg

DSC05242.jpg

DSC05243.jpg

DSC05244.jpg

DSC05249.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads