Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DocMustang

One of the Regulars
Crumple up some newspapers & place with the hat in a large trash bag & close tightly. Let it sit for 2 to 3 days. The newspaper will wick the odors out. I did this on a vintage OR that came from a heavy pipe smoker. Worked like a charm...HTH

I will have to label such a bag with large letters "VALUABLE HATS INSIDE! DO NOT THROW OUT" and likely hide it in our second garage to keep my wife from throwing it out! Even still I should start said project the afternoon following weekly trash pick up just to make sure!

jwalls

Vendor
009.JPG

I don't think you guys have seen many of this color!

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Mystery Stetson

I think that's a good guess. The reed and spacing of stitching reads more 50's vintage to me... will be interesting to get your take on it when it arrives, Josh.

Well, I got the "Mystery" Stetson today and I was quite surprised. First off, the sweatband is a replacement and not a good one at that. It was a pretty crumby sweatband and the stitching was pretty bad as well, but its holding up pretty good as of right now. The felt was dirty but sooooooo soft to the touch and its EXTREMELY lightweight. When I took the hat out of the box it was so flimsy that I couldn't hold the hat any which way without it pretty much falling in on itself. It was like the stiffener was totally de-activated. The only Stetson markings are the Block/Depth/Finish tag and whats ever left of the orange re-order tag. After examining the hat, it really looks like a Playboy to me. The brim edge binding doesn't look original. Not only is the edge binding a slightly different color than the ribbon, but after close examination, the ribbon that was used for edge binding was sub par to the ribbon used to make the bow. I honestly don't think the edge binding is original. The stitching and quality of the edge binding doesn't look like any factory Stetson work that Ive ever seen. I did a little work tonight on the hat and surprisingly it came out pretty good. I steamed the hell out of the hat and the felt stiffened right up. The stiffener re-activated, but the felt is still easy to mold and shape. I stiff brushed the felt and soft brushed it just to get all the surface dirt off. The biggest challenge was re-flanging the brim. I don't have any flanges, so I had to literally reshape the brim with my own two hands. Whats funny is that as soon as I heated the brim with steam, the felts memory fell right back into place and the original flange style from many years ago came out again. The hat seems to have had a high rear flange and a flatter front, which is usually a tell tale sign of a 1930's hat. The hat needs some work, and the felt isnt perfect, but I actually really like it.

Heres the "BEFORE" auction photos:

MysteryStetsonauctionpicture1.jpg

MysteryStetsonauctionpicture2.jpg

MysteryStetsonauctionpicture3.jpg

Here's the "AFTER" pictures:

DSC05662.jpg

DSC05663.jpg

DSC05670.jpg

DSC05668.jpg

Tenorclef

One of the Regulars
P J Powell 'The Wincanton'

This is my new green felt which I got for fathers day. Its a P J Powell trilby model 'The Wincanton'. The shape, finish and fit is very good. Certainly on a par with my Christys Epsom.

PJPowellTheWincanton.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy