Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wolfwood

A-List Customer
Akubra Balmoral for the hot summer days...

marko_akubra_balmoral.jpg

caul

New in Town
Dobbs Fifth Avenue. Color is listed on tag as "Saber" and style as "Carlton House. It's tagged as a 7 1/8 but seems a little tight, I think I'm going to have to invest in a hat stretcher.

5846658208_f518861e9c.jpg

[
5846659738_0f81b30860.jpg

5846662592_1fa229925e.jpg

5846106503_97848a1909.jpg

DocMustang

One of the Regulars
So my wife and I were out hitting the Antique malls on Highway 98 outside of pensacola and I found these beuties tucked away inside some hat boxes. I managed to STEAL these from the proprietor for $50 for both including the hat boxes.
101_1283.jpg

First the Black Homberg:

101_1285.jpg

101_1290.jpg

101_1293.jpg

Next This one which appears to be a Fedora:
101_1296.jpg

101_1297.jpg

They will both need to be cleaned and aired out (They smell of smoke) but a couple of great finds.

deanzat

One of the Regulars
135739256.jpg

Just opened the box and popped it onto my head. Better images later, probably in the Stratoliner thread. Very happy during these first five minutes, though!

Jedwbpm

One Too Many
Hey Dean looking smart. I went to Delmonico's on Thursday and bought their last Strat from their first order. A lot of the gang here doesn't like it but they seem to be selling.
Hatcostrat.jpg

hatcostratcloseup.jpg

Jeff

JAVIER

Practically Family
Bump MY NEW WYNEWOOD

Any information on this brand, I searched but could not find much on the FL or Google... help :)

I picked this one up http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...dl54icU%3D&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT

click to enlarge pics

A couple pics of incoming conditions, and a couple after a brushing with a shoe brush (worked wonders) has a little smoky smell (advise) of eliminating that welcomed, and one pic of the inside of hat (liner has a few sweat stains but I really do not want to replace and do not want to risk hurting that hat.)

More pics once I wear it out :)

DocMustang

One of the Regulars
Can someone tell me what those numbers mean. Also I would like confirmation that I did in fact steal those hats. My wife does not belive I got a good deal. Oh they are both size 7 1/2. The black homberg has a piece of thick canvas hand sewn into the front under the sweat band. they both fit great.

Last edited:

Mulceber

Practically Family
$50 for two vintage hats in good condition with their hat boxes and in size 7 1/2? Of course that's a steal! No offense to your wife, but she doesn't know what she's talking about. -M

Can someone tell me what those numbers mean.

I don't think anyone has this information. Paper tags without the Borsalino name on the side are usually after the mid 1950s. Borsalino started putting the production year in the number sequence sometime mid to latter 1970s. I would suggest searching the Borsalino Brotherhood thread for more information.

DocMustang

One of the Regulars
If both need to be professionally cleaned then 50 isn't the final price. Right?

There are no stains, they are in great shape, I am just going to air them out to get the smoke out. Either that or take them to the cigar bar and put in some smoke of my own! I think $50 may be the final price.The grey one needs a portion of the sweat band sewn back to its underpinning but I can do that myself with some time and silk thread. When I return to Detroit I might have JoedaHat over at Henry's take a look at them and clean them up but that can wait. They are in wearable shape as is.

I had them pegged for mid '50s Based on the appearance of the boxes. One of them has a plastic/rubber strap to buckle the box closed.

Funny story, I mentioned that my wife and I were out antiquing. I am always on the lookout for finds like this but I had gotten complacsent about checking inside hat boxes. We have been to about every vintage clothing store (both of them) and antique shop (many) looking for various things. I like hats and militaria/pre-1890 firearms and edged weapons. It seemed every time I saw hat boxes they were empty. The store owners would tell me that the hats sold long ago. I had seen these boxes on a previous trip but saw that they were marked far too low to actually have the hats in them so I let them pass.

This time we had our 4 year old son with us, who had been frequently scolded for touching about every breakable item he could reach. I had just finished scolding him when he tore the lid off one of the boxes and discovered the grey hat. I may have to reconsider letting him open boxes and drawers in antique stores in antique stores in the future.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy