Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
Thanks Ken and Stoney...I am really enjoying it so far...I can see it as a daily hat...It part of the rotation now...I have a few that may go the way of the auction block...I really like the tall crown....:D

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
HarpPlayerGene -- Wow! What a great bunch of new additions! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap Well done!

That Flagship is gorgeous, and a great score. I would love to find one of these. Your lid appears to match the "wafer edge" shown in this 1950 ad:

1950Flagship.jpg

The Stetsonian is also a stunning lid. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap Man, just amazing.

I believe that the hats you have identified as "Medalists" are actually Stetson "Eagles" -- ads from 1942 and 1943 link "vita-felt" to the Stetson Eagle model, so that may help you in dating these lids.

Cheers,
JtL

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
thunderw21 said:
You win the intrawebs for the day. Seriously, $.99? Awesome looking hat. The tall crown is nice.
99 cents, I swear!

Thanks for the feedback, guys! The chair is working out great, too. I enjoyed a whiskey and soda and a cigar in it the other night, when the desert had cooled off and a nice breeze came up.

CJ, I love that silverbelly Campdraft.

jimmy the lid said:
That Flagship is gorgeous, and a great score. I would love to find one of these. Your lid appears to match the "wafer edge" shown in this 1950 ad:

1950Flagship.jpg

"Wafer edge," so that's what they called it. Anyone know of any Stetson models other than the Flagship with that feature?

fedora4baby

New in Town
NEED INFORMATION ON A FEDORA!

Hello! I joined the Fedora Lounge in an attempt to procure information regarding a hat I purchased for my nephew (although I must confess I have had a lifelong crush on William Powell and love his fedora). I have obtained a brown felt fedora with a thick black ribbon. The hat reads Knox Custom Edge New York. I know nothing of hats, but I do know quality. The felt is very velvety. The brim is stamped Battelstein's Houston. According to my research, Battelstein's was an upscale department store in Texas in the 1950's. The brim is about 2 inces wide and the interior is satin. The hat has a tag indicating the size. On the back of the tag it has the stamp of the hatter's union I have seen a variety of Knox hats on ebay, but they look to be of lesser quality. I understand Knox became less well made as the company became more main stream. I am trying to determine the age, name and value of this hat or Knox vintage hats. Any information would be appreciated. Will try to upload photos.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Mojave Jack said:
Today was a good day. First I scored this steamer chair for a whopping $24. It had somehow gotten separated from a set, and they needed room for Halloween decorations!

SteamerChair.jpg

And I got to enjoy my new chair wearing my latest acquisition, for which I paid an even more whopping 99 cents!

That will be good ...it will get you out of that director's chair and into the real world where Chaucer readers abound....and correct spelling is all the rage....

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
fedora4baby said:
Hello! I joined the Fedora Lounge in an attempt to procure information regarding a hat I purchased for my nephew (although I must confess I have had a lifelong crush on William Powell and love his fedora). I have obtained a brown felt fedora with a thick black ribbon. The hat reads Knox Custom Edge New York.

Pictures will be the most help. 'Custom Edge' is likely the Knox name for a Cavanagh edge, which is considered desirable.

Welcome to the Lounge!

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Thrift-Store Stetson Selv-Edge

Thursday afternoon my wife called me from the thrift store to tell me she'd found an old felt Stetson there in 7 1/2. Now I'm a 7 3/8 but I didn't hesitate because big sizes are so unusual around here. I especially told her to grab it when she told me it said "Beaver" on the sweatband.

September202008013.jpg

September202008010.jpg

She said "I'm not sure if it's a stingy brim." Well, obviously it is, but I put it on when I got home, and I think it actually looks good on me! (Sorry, no pics of that, as I'm in my pyjamas and there's nobody around to take a picture anyway.)

It's got a black sweatband stamped "Selv-Edge" which I know from doing my research yesterday was originally Stetson's name for what became the Mode Edge and was later revived to denote a glued overwelt.

September202008012.jpg

Oddly, it has a purple liner, which I've never encountered before.

September202008011.jpg

It also has the initials "WDA" punched through the sweatband, which is neat, because my initials are "WDC."

September202008014.jpg

I'm assuming this hat is from the mid-sixties and nothing special, but it's in nice shape and wears well. I wore it to school the night I got it and to work the next day and have gotten nothing but nods and smiles. I guess it helps that stingy brims are "the thing" right now.

Also, for the record, it appears brown at first glance and in pictures, but under most lights it's almost a hunter green. I'm not sure what to make of that.

-Dave

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
David -- to my eye, your hat bears a striking resemblance to the hat in this 1960 ad for the Stetson "Candidate" (with a Mode edge):

60StetsonCandidate.jpg

The sweat on your lid appears to be black -- is it? Also, if you get a chance, could you post a photo of the logo on the liner?

Cheers,
JtL

carter

I'll Lock Up
David, I've always said (or intended to) that any woman who goes to a Thrift Store and comes home with a hat for her husband is a TREASURE! :)
Congratulations! :eusa_clap

David V

A-List Customer
I just picked up a straw boater with a black ribbon at an antique store in Baraboo Wisconsin.

I spotted it it on a stand and put it on. Perfect fit! Just a little of the straw broken on the edge of the rim. Hardly noticeable. And only $25! It has a vinyl sweatband with the brand name "Whitehall" printed on it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner