Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

m0nk

One Too Many
A moonstone Fed IV finally arrived yesterday. I added a c-crown crease dry yesterday when I took the first one, but have since used a touch of water and modified it to a deep diamond-crease. It fits well but I'm not 100% sure what to do about the brim; it seems REALLY wide, possibly because it's a lighter color. I didn't take before-crease pics:

Moon_Fed.JPG

Moon_Fed3.JPG

I do like the color, too, it seems slightly blueish in more light and darker grey in lesser light.

m0nk

One Too Many
Thanks. I was thinking instead of cutting, I would just sand it down 1/4 inch in the front and back and maybe 1/8 inch on the sides over time, since my cutting capability isn't all too great. Anyone else try this?

jbucklin

Practically Family
My Fed IV Deluxe always looks too wide when I first put it on, since the majority of my hats have 2 3/8" brims. But after a day or two of wearing it, it begins to look quite natural. It's the hat I'm wearing in my avatar btw.

I think it looks good on you the way it is imho. Can you post another pic or two?

Last edited:
Thanks. I was thinking instead of cutting, I would just sand it down 1/4 inch in the front and back and maybe 1/8 inch on the sides over time, since my cutting capability isn't all too great. Anyone else try this?

There is quite a bit of lens distortion in your photo making things closest to the lens (the front of the brim) appear larger. Use a self timer or have someone else shoot a photo from a little further away to give a better sense. Good advice from Billy and Steve, IMO.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Just acquired a Dobbs Golden Coach velour "Tarantula" western in a dark navy blue with thin studded leather buckle band. It arrived crumpled and beat up, exactly as in the auction photos, but bounced back to shape immaculately. What a very cool finish! I was the only bidder on this baby. Photos to come later...

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
That's pretty sweet, Rodkins!

Some quick shots of the new Dobbs Tarantula golden coach western, from outta da box to current form:
I debated leaving it as is, character and such...
dobbsgoldencoachtarantu.jpg

But decided to steam it open and put a pretty conservative center dent in there-- this pic shows the navy blue lustre next to the black brooks beaver.

Solo:

attempted to get a closeup that shows off the shiny velour finish:

coble

A-List Customer
that Dobbs has style Bowlerman. The velour looks in great condition. I think you did a good job steaming the hat. It has character before and after.

coble

A-List Customer
Here is a lovely Champ I just received from a top-notch lounger. I was playing with bashes last night. I may go with a brim down in back on this one - I will need some lounge feedback when I post some pics. This is a very nice lid.
0450dcec.jpg

c1714612.jpg

Rodkins this is a stunning Champ, i like the way you formed the hat. Its so nice you could even wear it open crown.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats