Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

frussell

One Too Many
Larger photos

James, I'm hoping you will be right. I've liked wearing hats since I was a toddler, and if my hat size is any indication, my son will wear a size 6 1/2 way before he gets to kindergarten. I may not ever find such beautiful Stratoliners and Lees etc.. in a 7 7/8, but I can enjoy them vicariously (and with a bit of envy) through my kid. Thanks, Frank

Last edited:

splatt

One of the Regulars
Last week at City Hatters in Melbourne Australia i purchased my first real Panama hat that was hand woven in Ecuador and it's called an 'Executive'. The weather has been pretty hot outside in Melbourne so i have really enjoyed wearing it :)

DJH

I'll Lock Up
That's just too cool, Frank. So thoughtful.

Yep, I agree - that is just a brilliant idea!

For me, a recently arrived Stratoliner in a very nice grey/green colour.

Still wet from re-shaping a tight and wonky front pinch, this one is older than the grey Strat I have and is in super shape. Finally a good home for the Stratoliner pin I got from Lefty a few months ago.

photo27-L.jpg

Last edited:

Rodkins

Call Me a Cab
Yep, I agree - that is just a brilliant idea!

For me, a recently arrived Stratoliner in a very nice grey/green colour.

Still wet from re-shaping a tight and wonky front pinch, this one is older than the grey Strat I have and is in super shape. Finally a good home for the Stratoliner pin I got from Lefty a few months ago.
Very nice, David!

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Antonin France? black Austrian Velour

P1030546.JPG
P1030538.JPG

P1030552.JPG
P1030541.JPG
P1030542.JPG
P1030549.JPG
pub032_006.jpg%25253D600.jpeg

Steve will be happy to learn that this one has an Austrian body. The two 6-1/2's have different liners and sweats but the same size tags with AF--the other says FRANCE on the tip. The felt is a little different although all the hats are about the same style and weight.

Last edited:

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Gorgeous. Is the liner not sewn in?

Its about 60% sewn in. The liner and the top edge of the ribbon are basted in place for original shipping/stacking. This one had the liner folded over a bit and the rear of the ribbon pushed down a little. They could use a steam fluff but are not dusty or otherwise damaged. They probably spent decades stacked in the original boxes.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
France Velour

The other 6-1/2 without a liner. This one had its own paper cover and was on top so is even more undisturbed.
P1030554.JPG

P1030556.JPG
P1030557.JPG

These have about 6" open crowns and brims just over 2-1/4" and quite a bit of curve to the flanging.

Last edited:

delectans

Call Me a Cab
The other 6-1/2 without a liner. This one had its own paper cover and was on top so is even more undisturbed.
P1030554.JPG

This one is quite spectacular as well. Is the velour body and pile thicker on this example compared with the first, or is the ribbon simply sewn on more tightly?

rlk

I'll Lock Up
This one is quite spectacular as well. Is the velour body and pile thicker on this example compared with the first, or is the ribbon simply sewn on more tightly?
The ribbon is smoother and tighter and the velour is fluffier as it hasn't been as compressed. The others would be similar with a brushing and careful steam. This photo is fresh from the wrapper without any work(other than soft center crease).

delectans

Call Me a Cab
The ribbon is smoother and tighter and the velour is fluffier as it hasn't been as compressed. The others would be similar with a brushing and careful steam. This photo is fresh from the wrapper without any work(other than soft center crease).

Thanks for the clarification, Robert, it is as I had thought. Congrats once again on an exceptional haul!

Steve will be happy to learn that this one has an Austrian body. The two 6-1/2's have different liners and sweats but the same size tags with AF--the other says FRANCE on the tip. The felt is a little different although all the hats are about the same style and weight.

I still can't believe your fantastic find! This one is very beautiful too! I was just wondering because there was such a big trade in Austria Velour bodies and Velour finishing machines during this time period.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Heron Fléchet Velour

P1030563.JPG
P1030564.JPG

One of two different liner/sweatband styles on some of these hats. Also could benefit from some salon time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner