Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

buler

I'll Lock Up
Would you post and outside shot, buler? I'm very intrigued by this color...

Ale, here is the hat outside. No sun today. This is afternoon and overcast.

B

berkshire_7.jpg

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Bill, the Berkshire is very cool - I love the colour.

Steve, your "new" P. & C. Habig is going to be a stunner when you have it finished

Ale, nice job on the Selco. Mission Accomplished on the grey Cav Edge!

scooter

Practically Family
New (to me) Cavanagh from a fellow lounger. I got to say, this is one very nice hat in exceptional condition. Thanks much to the seller!

new%2520cavanagh.jpg

Last edited:

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
This vintage 1930s British flat cap personally belonged to James Oviatt, the co-founder of "Alexander & Oviatt" / "Oviatt's", Los Angeles's most exclusive haberdashery in the Golden Era. As you can see by its wear, the hat was well-loved by Mr. Oviatt! At the end of his long life, James Oviatt gave it his son's best friend, Alan Kroll.

This cap was made in England by 'Ayres and Smith': Oviatt's store was the first West Coast retailer to carry the brand, back in 1912. As James Oviatt's biographer-in-progress, I have a sentimental attachment to his cap.

IMG_4855.jpg

IMG_4856.jpg

IMG_4854.jpg

IMG_4860.jpg

IMG_4851.jpg

IMG_4853.jpg

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Marc; The dimensions on the cap are great. My eye, trained by oldy movies and pics, see the fabric on the sides of the cap to be certainly styling of the 30's and extending to early 40's. I like the cap. Good fortunes in your biography pursuits.

Eric -

newturnofphrase

One of the Regulars
Knox Top Hat XL 7 3/4

7 3/4 Knox Silk Top Hat. Mint condition, not sure of the era but probably early-mid 20th century.

knox-view1-contrast.jpg

knox-detail.jpg

I'm putting more photos on the toppers thread.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Marc; The dimensions on the cap are great. My eye, trained by oldy movies and pics, see the fabric on the sides of the cap to be certainly styling of the 30's and extending to early 40's. I like the cap. Good fortunes in your biography pursuits.

Eric -

Thank you, Eric! I agree with you on the date range. It's a safe bet to say that it wasn't made later than 1940, since World War II wreaked havoc with imports.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Satin Powder Blue Homburg

P1030945.JPG

P1030946.JPG
P1030944.JPG

Sold or renovated by Milwaukee's London Hat Shop. The Satin Finish clearly was created by brushing a smoothly felted and finished body(see inside of crown). Ventilation holes too.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Really neat and unique hats recently, everyone.

Ale-- that Selco looks stellar. Exactly what you were after, minus the trolley of course?

This hat had me intrigued for a long time and I finally gave in after having a positive reaction to my first Champ-- recent lord's hat.

It's a Champ Kasmir finish-- light brown ribbon over dark brown felt (not the subtle tones like buler's recent post). I'd appreciate any advice anyone might have regarding the vintage. Some elements are throwing me for a loop. The felt is suede-ish, and rather heavy. It took a good bit of soaking to get it creased the way I wanted it.
The crown is about 4 5/8" creased, and brim is 2 1/8" overwelt (from the auction photos I thought it might be a Cav edge).
The ribbon is a 2 inch backbow.

018copy.jpg

019copyh.jpg

006copy.jpg

005copy.jpg

016copyt.jpg

Chepstow

I'll Lock Up
P1030945.JPG

P1030946.JPG
P1030944.JPG

Sold or renovated by Milwaukee's London Hat Shop. The Satin Finish clearly was created by brushing a smoothly felted and finished body(see inside of crown). Ventilation holes too.

Robert, great finds and a wonderful looking Homburg !

Really neat and unique hats recently, everyone.

Ale-- that Selco looks stellar. Exactly what you were after, minus the trolley of course?

This hat had me intrigued for a long time and I finally gave in after having a positive reaction to my first Champ-- recent lord's hat.

It's a Champ Kasmir finish-- light brown ribbon over dark brown felt (not the subtle tones like buler's recent post). I'd appreciate any advice anyone might have regarding the vintage. Some elements are throwing me for a loop. The felt is suede-ish, and rather heavy. It took a good bit of soaking to get it creased the way I wanted it.
The crown is about 4 5/8" creased, and brim is 2 1/8" overwelt (from the auction photos I thought it might be a Cav edge).
The ribbon is a 2 inch backbow.

018copy.jpg

019copyh.jpg

006copy.jpg

005copy.jpg

016copyt.jpg

Jeff, super, he looks very good. My Congrats!

Chepstow

I'll Lock Up
The Hückel Extra arrived today. A very nice warm brown and shorter brim as I thought.
The felt is stiff and malleable! No Hückel Logo on the Sweatband, maybe a special retailer Sweatband.
Handwritten Numbers on a piece fabric and stamp with 1951

hueckelextra.jpg

hueckelextra1.jpg

more photos on German & Austrian Hats

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace