Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
I wore my newer Portis Amish bowler today in a downpour. What a piece of junk! The color ran on it! I am glad I paid next to nothing for it---it was worth exactly what I paid. It was my rain hat. I never noticed the color run like that before but it sure did today. I sure hope it was dirt but I am sure it wasn't----on a black hat.
I guess I will go back to my Dobbs and Borsalinos from the 40s-50s. The color on those never runs. Lesson learned.[huh]

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Depending on how it was made, it was either cheap power finish, or crappy dye. I bet it was dye. Inferior felt bodies can be made to look better with the application of dye AFTER the felting process.

Good thing the color matches your hair color....hahhaaaa.a.

Depending on how it was made, it was either cheap power finish, or crappy dye. I bet it was dye. Inferior felt bodies can be made to look better with the application of dye AFTER the felting process.

Good thing the color matches your hair color....hahhaaaa.a.

Yep, cheap dyes or powder to even out the finish is likely the cause. This hat was likely made in the 60s-70s---when the hat industry was losing brainpower and craftsmanship. They are probably related closely.
I just went and looked at it under bright light. The color has gotten slightly lighter. Fortunately the felt didn't soak through or the hair color thing might have fixed some gray. :p It isn't blotchy so you are right. The dye job stunk.
I guess I can relegate it to the costume hat pile--for sun but not the weather.:rolleyes::eusa_doh:

coble

A-List Customer
Well, you wear them well, JB-- keep on getting those Akubras! Been enjoying your modern Borsalinos too lately. I especially like that "Film."

I got my Borsalino yesterday. It's kind of amazing. Basically impeccable condition, with a light striation on the top of the crown that disappears when creased. I don't know what that is.
This is a conservative hat for me in terms of color, with a 2 inch cav-edged brim and rather wide black ribbon. It's a very light and warm grey, though in direct sunlight in almost goes silver belly. The felt is pretty darned awesome, and I dig the wide grey sweatband. Enjoy!

0052copy.jpg

0062copy.jpg

0042copyr.jpg

003copyt.jpg

0032copy.jpg

0043copy.jpg

010copyk.jpg

004copyt.jpg

anyone know what that handwriting says on the label inside the sweatband?

bucklin, very nice Akubra, i still haven't aquired one of these. I spoke with the hat designer who made all the hats for the movie Australia a few months ago about getting something made from her out of an Akubra, but haven't gotten their yet. Love the lid, really like the way you did your brim, very simple, and your pinch isn't really tight, i like that look. I like the pinch looking just like yours, very clean.

nice one jeff, love the color. See you still have no beard, while mine is coming back hahaha. It does have a silverbelly tone to it in the sun, looks good on you, its always nice to have a change.

-posting my new hat i designed tomorrow from sunbody hats. Off to my experiments, figuring out a new color technique for sunbody hats. Its funny i work 9-5 but since the owner asked me to take some roughed up straws home to figure out something new with coloring the hat, which will be a trade secret when i'm done, its like work never ends, but can i actually say working with hats all day is work, Nope. I'm having a blast.

you guys are looking great in your new lids.

Chepstow

I'll Lock Up
Today was flea market day for me.
I visit two flea markets near my home town. The results, three Homburger, one of them a really nice old Wegener. mid gray.
The other Homburgs are old but unknown Manufacturer.

wegenercolonel.jpg

wegenercolonel1.jpg

more photos in German & Austrian Hutmacher

Last edited:

jbucklin

Practically Family
Jeff and Manfred--amazing lids lads! And thanks for the compliments on my Fed IV (you too Coble). I wish I had the patience and determination to find vintage hats like you guys. I will get there eventually. In the meantime I continue to acquire the best modern-day, factory-made hats I can, the top two being Akubra and Borsalino---especially the Film. And of course, let's not forget Art. I just put in an order with him for a milan!

masiaka

Familiar Face
I just got this "custom" ;) milan Stratoliner second hand from Ale. I, of course, unboxed the hat at work... and then had to demonstrate to my dubious coworkers that owning a fur felt Campdraft and a plastic/straw Strat does not mean that I own two copies of the exact same hat. This also led me to explain that all fedoras are hats, but not all hats are fedoras. I'll make real men of them yet, but it's going to take some time... scratch that, it's going to take a lot of time. :eusa_doh: They're good guys, though. It's amazing how long they can pretend to be interested in hats.
photo2.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner