Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
My new Falcon Park lord's hat. More pics in the Falcon Park Hattery thread.

012copy.jpg

My restored P. & C. Habig Wien Velour arrived from Optimo today. Rather than a black ribbon I had them put on a blue one. I have never encountered a pre 1940s P. & C. Habig solf felt so very rare. I think this one might actually be from around WWI. More details in the German - Austrian thread.

7068896673_b9ec20eaa4_b.jpg

6922816756_3925a6e076_b.jpg

7068883049_d03663de3d_b.jpg

6922804930_025b51986a_b.jpg

Last edited:

DNO

One Too Many
More thrift store luck. Today I found a beautiful 7 ¼ long oval grey fedora made for Eaton’s department store. It’s flawless and very comfortable. The fur felt is wonderfully soft and quite thick. No stains, no mothing…nothing! (Won’t mention the embarrassing low price.) 2 1/4" brim...just about my favourite size.

eaton.png

eatonside.png

eatoninside.png

Birkdale was the Eaton's store brand name for men's wear.

This hat has a system for holding the leather sweatband that I’ve never seen before. The system was patented in Canada by Otto Blaine Carter in 1935. (Carter patented the same system in the U.S. in 1934.) Basically he used 5 very slim metal buttons fastened to the hat to which the reeded sweatband attached. Until I looked up the patent number stamped on the sweatband, I didn’t even notice the buttons! His idea was to make the sweatband easily replaceable by the hat owner.

Here's the patent notice:

carterstamp.png

And one of the five buttons:

button.png

In addition, I found the drawing that was attached to his patent application in 1935:

patentillustration.png

And an ad from April 1957 originally in the Ottawa Citizen:

OttawaCitizenApril1957.png

And finally, the happy new owner (despite the grim visage) with the hat!

onhead.png

Obviously, Carter's system didn't really catch on but it's not a bad idea. Has anyone else ever encountered this sort of buttoned-in sweat?

Last edited:

Chepstow

I'll Lock Up
My new Falcon Park lord's hat. More pics in the Falcon Park Hattery thread.

Jeff, cool. That is a great looking Hat and the shape looks really good. My Congrats.

My restored P. & C. Habig Wien Velour arrived from Optimo today. Rather than a black ribbon I had them put on a blue one. I have never encountered a pre 1940s P. & C. Habig solf felt so very rare. I think this one might actually be from around WWI. More details in the German - Austrian thread.

Steve, wonderful work. Looks like new. Good Idea with the ribbon color.

More thrift store luck. Today I found a beautiful 7 ¼ long oval grey fedora made for Eaton’s department store. It’s flawless and very comfortable. The fur felt is wonderfully soft and quite thick. No stains, no mothing…nothing! (Won’t mention the embarrassing low price.) 2 1/4" brim...just about my favourite size.

David, what a great find. He looks really good and a low price for a beautiful hat. Congrats to the new one.

Mr. Lucky

One Too Many
Made in Czecho Slovakia between the WW's,

P1040212.JPG

Its a moderately lightweight felt despite the velour finish, which is quite spectacular. More to come...

So it was YOU that snagged that one off Etsy! I hesitated - went to cross reference the punti size, came back and it was gone! Good for you!

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Stetson 3XB Last Drop

More recent than I thought it would be, judging from the embossment of the Stetson logo, but still a decent hat. Nice & thick Western felt with a stiffer brim.

P1060358.jpg

P1060364.jpg

P1060361.jpg

P1060366.jpg

P1060363.jpg

P1060362.jpg

P1060359.jpg

buler

I'll Lock Up
This hat has a system for holding the leather sweatband that I’ve never seen before. The system was patented in Canada by Otto Blaine Carter in 1935. (Carter patented the same system in the U.S. in 1934.) Basically he used 5 very slim metal buttons fastened to the hat to which the reeded sweatband attached. Until I looked up the patent number stamped on the sweatband, I didn’t even notice the buttons! His idea was to make the sweatband easily replaceable by the hat owner.

Here's the patent notice:

And one of the five buttons:

In addition, I found the drawing that was attached to his patent application in 1935:

And an ad from April 1957 originally in the Ottawa Citizen:

And finally, the happy new owner (despite the grim visage) with the hat!

Obviously, Carter's system didn't really catch on but it's not a bad idea. Has anyone else ever encountered this sort of buttoned-in sweat?

Yes, we've seen a few on the lounge. I posted one in the Disney hats thread. I believe they also show up on some Cavanaghs.

B

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elzbthy