Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

randooch

I'll Lock Up
Trotsky

Nice deep shade of blue, there, and even better with the wide black ribbon. I keep my eyes peeled for that color to no avail. Wear it in good health!

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Mr. Paladin, great Resistol. Looks like a Whippet's got nuthin' on that hat.

Florida Marlin, way to show me up, bud! lol That Featherweight is like a dark brown version of mine -- except yours is in great shape. Good job!

Jimmy, your JohnnyPhi Lee makes me a little jealous too!

Hoss, that "Driving Hat" is grrrrreat!! Now, to me, the best thing about vintage felt is that crinkle in the crown bash you're wanting to get rid of. :( New hats are molded to be smooth but in the old movies of the day that hat was made and sold, they looked like your hat looks now. I love it as is. You did a great job.

Trotsky, blue hats ROCK!! That's a beaut'.

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Dinerman said:
Now that I can see the liner logo, tailored edge stamping and size tag, I'm going to move my date back to early '40s- maybe late '30s.

The deep, clear stamping, the '30s liner logo, and the gold of the size tag all point to that.
Whew. It's a beaut. Look at that silk satin.

What is a "Tailored Edge"?

BobC

Hoss & da Posse said:
Thanks, Bob...She has expressed an interest in vintage hats; she was very enthused when my Johnnyphi's arrived. Not so much the hats themselves (she was a little dubious when I popped an open crown on right out in public and everything) but the idea of them being NOS and classic captivated her. She really likes the idea of dressing in vintage style for special events like our Co Christmas party. I'm looking for something along the lines of an Aussie country style hat for her to wear when we're just out and about.

I bet you'd find an Akubra to fit the bill then, and they are available practically for a song these days.

feltfan

Dinerman said:
I think that was the term they used for raw edge?
Never heard of it before. I was wondering because that 5X Clear Beaver
I have has an unusual edge- the edge is sewn and tied off.
Wondered if it was the same thing.

Yeah, yeah- I'll post pictures one of these days!

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Y'know, looking at Hoss' hat and thinking about the "Tailored" word, I wonder if that's a raw edge which has been honed through sanding to have a sharper or rounded off look than the blunted look of some raw edges.

????

feltfan

HarpPlayerGene said:
Y'know, looking at Hoss' hat and thinking about the "Tailored" word, I wonder if that's a raw edge which has been honed through sanding to have a sharper or rounded off look than the blunted look of some raw edges.

????
Now I will have to post some pictures... I have a
Cavanagh 55 cowboy hat with an edge that has been sharpened.
Takes a stiff edge, of course.

And Dinerman, the stitching is more like a Playboy's edge, if I recall
correctly (I don't have one). Edit: Don't recall if it was the same seller.

I have my camera back, so maybe soon.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
feltfan said:
Takes a stiff edge, of course.

Or just amazing felt. You could almost cut yourself on the edge of one of my Borsalinos - - and it's a roll-up!

DSC_0007.jpg

Florida_Marlin

One of the Regulars
Nice Blue Lid

Nice blue hat, Trotsky
Over the years, most of my wardrobe has been blues, but I don't have a blue hat. Yours is really nice. Regards F_M

Hoss & da Posse

One of the Regulars
HarpPlayerGene said:
Y'know, looking at Hoss' hat and thinking about the "Tailored" word, I wonder if that's a raw edge which has been honed through sanding to have a sharper or rounded off look than the blunted look of some raw edge
The "Tailored Edge" is pretty "sharp"...not blockish or even rounded. Definitely a raw edge, too. No binding or hemming. It just tapers to a fine, thin edge.

Trotsky

A-List Customer
Florida_Marlin said:
Nice blue hat, Trotsky
Over the years, most of my wardrobe has been blues, but I don't have a blue hat. Yours is really nice. Regards F_M

Thanks! She was a antique store purchase for $10. I am telling you, I am in love with the color. Goes with damn near everything I own.

bolthead

Diamanti II

I got this in the mail today. I wasn't sure is I was going to like it or not, or if it was even going to fit me because it an 1/8.
It is a tad loose but I can live with that. Turns out I love it.
I really needed a good Black, dress hat and this definitely fits the bill.
It's not too heavy, not too light, just right. The felt is amazingly soft and pliable. It melts in your hands.
I can dry bash this Lid into any crease I want to without any problem what so ever.It looks like it was never even worn and it came uncreased.
The liner is in perfect shape as well. Although the sweat is black leather, it is very thick, yet soft. It's an inch 7/8". Same as the black Grosgrain, with wind trolley.It has a 5" open crown and a brim that's an 1 5/8" with I guess you'd call it an under welt, correct me if I'm wrong though. [huh] Here's a few Pics...

BorsoDiamanti1.jpg
BorsoDiamanti2.jpg

BorsoDiamanti3.jpg
BorsoDiamanti4.jpg

Can anyone tell me what "Eulan Bayer" means on the size tag?

BorsoDiamanti5.jpg

Here's the underside of the brim, very tight stitching.....

BorsoDiamanti6.jpg

I don't know the age of this Hat, but it's definitely the newest Borsalino that I've added to my collection. (4)

carter

I'll Lock Up
Royale Deluxe Stetson Continental

I received this Stetson Continental size 7 today. I bought it for the minimum bid, $19.99, on ebay. This classic from the 50's is pristine. Now I know what my 7 5/8 Continental looked like when new. :)
10b9_1.JPG
1150_1.JPG
11f2_1.JPG
12d3_1.JPG

13b1_1.JPG

Feraud

Bartender
carter said:
I received this Stetson Continental size 7 today. I bought it for the minimum bid, $19.99, on ebay. This classic from the 50's is pristine. Now I know what my 7 5/8 Continental looked like when new. :)
10b9_1.JPG
1150_1.JPG
11f2_1.JPG
12d3_1.JPG

13b1_1.JPG
This is a lovely hat Carter. I have one in gray.

Btw, what give it the "Continental" designation? My hat notes no such name.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StrangeRay