Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
thunderw21 said:
From this week.

50sStRegishomburg001.jpg

50sStRegishomburg002.jpg

Very nice St. Regis, T-21. I have one as well and have been very pleased with it. Classic hat!

The Elizans

Familiar Face
Some recent additions...

Hello everyone,

Not been around on the lounge for a long while… Thought I’d share some recent acquisitions with you.

This G.A. Dunn & Co British Hat has a velour body made in Czecho-Slovakia; the spelling Czechoslovakia like this means it can be dated between the end of 1938 and early 1939. It has a long nap fur, but the hairs are upright like velvet. The fur is about 4mm thick making it a very heavy lid! I paid £60.00 GBP for it in a local second hand shop, a bit on the expensive side but too nice to pass upon, especially as it is in my size (what luck!) and quite rare.

100_5465.jpg

100_5468.jpg

Next is this Walter Barnard & Sons olive/gold-coloured number. Not heard of this maker before finding this one, but the inscription inside denotes that the company was the appointed royal hatter between 1924 and 1936 thus including the reign of the ubiquitous Edward VIII ‘inventor’ of the Prince of Wales collar and associated with the popular plaid style, POW check. It is quite racy for a British hat with a shark-gill type band. It makes a nice change to the usual gray and brown hats I find. It also cost only £7 from ebay, so a bargain too!

100_5476.jpg

100_5478.jpg

100_5479.jpg

This near-mint Scott’s & Co is from around 1952/53; the inscription on the liner being “Hat makers to the late king George VI” after whose death in 1952, Scott’s continued to be the royal hatters for successor to the throne, Elizabeth II. Amazingly, the hat was originally sold to a Mr. Arnold Woolfe Esq. of 4 Oakfild Road Gosport, Hampshire; which is the town where I live now! It is in almost perfect unworn condition and is a nice piece to add to the collection.

100_5480.jpg

100_5486.jpg

Finally, which I am sure will interest you all the most, is this 1930’s American Berg. Judging by the proportions, the raw edge and the unreeded sweatband, I’d say is was an early one too. It is very tall and in a rust brown colour. Anyone that can tell me more about this Berg hat and the company that made it, I’d love to hear from you. It is a US 7 1/8, I couldn’t resist stretching it to a UK 7 1/8 and it gets quite a few compliments whenever I wear it out!

100_5470.jpg

100_5471.jpg

100_5472.jpg

Lots more hats bought over the last 12 months, I will find time to upload some more soon. One day I'll do a thread of the whole collection (there are 100+) until next time, happy hatting!

The Elizans

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
The Elizans said:
Finally, which I am sure will interest you all the most, is this 1930’s American Berg. Judging by the proportions, the raw edge and the unreeded sweatband, I’d say is was an early one too. It is very tall and in a rust brown colour. Anyone that can tell me more about this Berg hat and the company that made it, I’d love to hear from you. It is a US 7 1/8, I couldn’t resist stretching it to a UK 7 1/8 and it gets quite a few compliments whenever I wear it out!

Beautiful Berg, and quite rare!:eusa_clap

F. Berg & Co. was an Orange, NJ, hat manufacturer known for soft hats, as most of the Orange companies were. Frederick Berg founded the company in 1864. In 1926, F. Berg & Company moved to Norwalk, CT, and in 1929 they were acquired and merged into Cavanagh-Dobbs, Inc., to become a subsidiary known as Hodshon-Berg (Hodshon was another acquisition). Hat Corporation of America continued to manufacture the Berg brand until 1972.

I've see very few Berg hats, and none as old as yours, so I can't tell if it was made before or after the acquistion by Cavanagh-Dobbs, but it's right around there in age, '20s or '30s.

Brad

The Elizans

Familiar Face
Berg hat

Thanks Brad!

You're spot on with the Hodshon-Berg thing; I've inspected the sweat and that detail is present along with Made In New York.

I bought this hat in the UK, so I wonder when it travelled over the pond? It is one of the nicest hats I have, so I shall be sure to look after it and enjoy wearing it (occasionally) too!

All the best,

T.E.

Cool1

New in Town
Ragged But Right: Stetson Genuine Panama

I cannot for the life of me get the images to load so that they are visible on the site. if someone could clue me int o a greater degree than the info on the FAQ, I'd be most grateful. I've some shots of a "Royal Stetson" by John B. Stetson Genuine Panama that I found at a garage sale about 15 years ago, but I can't figure out how to share them with you guys.

It was a little ragged then, and considerably more so now, but it's still a beauty. Barbecue, blues and beer make the blemishes fade; it's summer in South Téjas and the time is right.

Best,
C1

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Cool1 said:
I cannot for the life of me get the images to load so that they are visible on the site.

Copy and paste the IMG code from your picture server into your post. We will all see it that way. Welcome to the Lounge! ;)

Cool1

New in Town
Trying again

zetwal said:
Copy and paste the IMG code from your picture server into your post. We will all see it that way. Welcome to the Lounge! ;)

Okay, here we go again: here are links to some pics of a Royal Stetson Genuine Panama I picked up in a garage sale about fifteen years ago.

It was a little ragged then, and considerably more so now, but it's still a beauty. Barbecue, blues and beer make the blemishes fade; it's summer in South Téjas and the time is right:

P8210072.jpg
P8210073.jpg
P8210074.jpg
P8210075.jpg

Picard1138

One of the Regulars
Direct from Village Hatters, Long Beach, CA

Picked up a few hats today from Village Hats in Long Beach, CA. I was there for the Redbull Flugtag event, and happened to find myself jammed up against the wall to this place, so I figured I'd give it a try. I found a couple of nice hats at a good price.

My casual warm weather attire is generally a 1950s summer get up; short-sleeved Hawaiian or "bowling" shirt (preferably silk, but poly will do if the shirt is nice enough), slacks, and a variations of shoes. Usually I go with Sperry docksiders during the day, but I would change to a nicer loafer at night. I desperately needed a straw hat. I found this in the sale bin for $25. It's sort of a no-name, or at least there isn't one in the sweatband or size tag, but it looked really good with what I was wearing and I just couldn't pass it up for the price *EDIT* I found out the name: it's a Golden Gate Milan Pork Pie, made of braided toyo in "toffee" color:

44558_683949213236_10516577_38263759_8345868_n.jpg

44716_683949308046_10516577_38263767_851941_n.jpg

The second hat I got today is the Stetson Chatham. I have a few Stetsons that I bought for costumes over the years; one for my cousin's "old west" themed wedding, and one wool felt fedora for a film noir I shot once. I didn't like the cut of the brim of the wool felt, so I never really gave Stetson a second thought. However, I found this fur felt hat for a very good price, I just love it, and it fits and looks just right:

45677_683949318026_10516577_38263768_3220886_n.jpg

45622_683949337986_10516577_38263770_1440573_n.jpg

41189_683949377906_10516577_38263774_132553_n.jpg

Enjoy, gentlemen.

-Max

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Apparently, these are my cap finding clothes. I was wearing the same thing when I found my other cap, at the same thrift store, for the same price - $2.49. I don't think it's all that old, but I like that it's full without being too full.

DSC_0002-3.jpg

DSC_0010-2.jpg

DSC_0004-3.jpg

DSC_0009-2.jpg

Cool1

New in Town
New Block on Stetson Range

Hope these images load. For some reason I've been having trouble with that on Photbucket. In any event, I took my Stetson Range in for a new block this afternoon: a sort of retro thing, they almost got it, but it's gong to need a little work yet. Love this old hat. It's seen a lot of Texas with me. Hope y'all are enjoying a relaxing Sunday afternoon. Too hot here to do anything else:

The sweet bird of youth was sittin' on my shoulder yesterday,
But she's always changin' partners and I always knew she'd up and fly away.
- Guy Clark, "Ramblin' Jack and Mahan"

P8220077.jpg
P8220078.jpg
P8220079.jpg

Best,
C1

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot