Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
Hückel Plume Melone (Bowler)

Hückel Plume Bowler probably 1930s. This one is in great condition.

4920776896_9ddc2c383c_b.jpg

4920177959_2b4844106b_b.jpg

4920777144_8d31eba344_b.jpg

ebb

New in Town
New Champ

eBayISAPI.dll
Picked up this hat on Ebay. It is unbelievable. Mid 50s i think. Champ, complete with wind trolly. Absolutely no wear or blemishes. I still cant believe it. I've been looking for a hat like this. And just the right size of 6 7/8 I love this hat.

Lokar

A-List Customer
This is probably the least common hat I've found: a real bobby's helmet from the UK (how it ended up in Sweden I don't know). It's fur felt, made by Christy's. It's harder than any other hat I own - puts my vintage bowler to shame. The sweatband is in quite good condition, still easily supple enough to wear without fear. Just a pity it doesn't fit me. The felt has been scratched quite badly in a few places.

The hat.

The front badge. Borough of Grimsby.

Profile shot. It has ventilation holes.

The top - which has more ventilation holes going through metal and the felt.

The under-brim and inside. No idea why the under-brim is green.

Size tag. 7 1/8 UK, so a 7 1/4 US (58cm). One size too small :(

The Christy's stamp on the sweatband.

Underneath the sweatband.

Interesting! Appears similar to a hard bowler. You might be able to stretch it one size. Apply leather conditioner to sweat and steam it up good from the outside and apply stretcher. Let it sit for a couple weeks with the stretcher at the correct size.

Lokar

A-List Customer
I've tried stretching a bowler and it's pretty difficult - if you use a hat jack (which is all I have), it makes it a size larger but also makes it a rather extreme long oval, and I have a regular shaped head.

I'd love to buy a proper hat stretcher (or just a hat block one size to small, as the sweatband is a size's worth on it's own), but I've never seen one locally and shipping to Sweden is usually astronomical (and we have some of the highest import taxes in the world).

The hat is bowler-like, it's true. The wikipedia says that they're often made of cork (or pith), which makes sense as they essentially are a pith helmet, but then covered in felt. Would explain the rigidity.

The wiki also says that the helmet with a spike, topped with a ball, is an older style that was phased out. No dates, unfortunately.

Lokar said:
This is probably the least common hat I've found: a real bobby's helmet from the UK (how it ended up in Sweden I don't know). It's fur felt, made by Christy's. It's harder than any other hat I own - puts my vintage bowler to shame. The sweatband is in quite good condition, still easily supple enough to wear without fear. Just a pity it doesn't fit me. The felt has been scratched quite badly in a few places.

The hat.

The front badge. Borough of Grimsby.

Profile shot. It has ventilation holes.

The top - which has more ventilation holes going through metal and the felt.

The under-brim and inside. No idea why the under-brim is green.

Size tag. 7 1/8 UK, so a 7 1/4 US (58cm). One size too small :(

The Christy's stamp on the sweatband.

Underneath the sweatband.

Wow! Is that ever a cool hat!

Lokar said:
I've tried stretching a bowler and it's pretty difficult - if you use a hat jack (which is all I have), it makes it a size larger but also makes it a rather extreme long oval, and I have a regular shaped head.

I'd love to buy a proper hat stretcher (or just a hat block one size to small, as the sweatband is a size's worth on it's own), but I've never seen one locally and shipping to Sweden is usually astronomical (and we have some of the highest import taxes in the world).

The hat is bowler-like, it's true. The wikipedia says that they're often made of cork (or pith), which makes sense as they essentially are a pith helmet, but then covered in felt. Would explain the rigidity.

The wiki also says that the helmet with a spike, topped with a ball, is an older style that was phased out. No dates, unfortunately.

Yes the hat jack isn't going to work in your case. If it was long oval issue (which is my case) it wouldn't be much of problem.

BanjoMerlin

A-List Customer
The chances of successfully stretching that bobby beanie are quite low. You would need to remove everything that is attached to the hat, including the brim binding, fully steam the hat, stretch it on a proper device and then replace everything. Likely the brim binding, hat band and sweat band would not fit properly. Even with the proper equipment the hat could tear rather than stretch.

Have you tried getting a large round clamp and shrinking your head?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy