Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
That's right. The bigger the head the bigger the brain. Assuming of coarse that we exclude those with really thick skulls (or a lot of empty space under the hood) ... :p

Joking aside. You find a great bunch of people here. Too, evidence a powerful addiction. Enter at your own risk. ;)

BigEasy

New in Town
I have the same trouble with fitting hats as well. Different hats fit differently is my experience, so it's a crap shoot when ordering on line without being able to try the hat on.
I agree, there are a lot of folks among us with too much available space upstairs left unoccupied. I prefer to think of Melon Head as Big Brained.

matt_im

New in Town
100_1777-1.jpg
[/IMG][/QUOTE]

I'm a big fan of this one! Great choice!

Matt

CircuitRider

One of the Regulars
BigEasy said:
Melon Head. As a professor I'll take that as a compliment!
Thanks for the information. Happy to be part of the lounge.

Speaking of melon heads...wonder what those aliens with the big heads in original Star Trek would wear?lol

Spats McGee

One Too Many
BigEasy said:
As the new guy here, I have to say many of you have fantastic hat collections. I'm curious as to where I can start accumulating more great hats like yours. Purchased this Stylemaster from Everything Australian. Very nice quality it seems. Anyone own the Sydney or Squatter? How do you like them? Pros? Cons? Anyway, glad to be here and welcome any advice on where to start picking up more fedoras and which ones you recommend. Thanks.

BigEasy

It's a beauty!

Welcome to the Lounge, BigEasy! At 7 1/2 Long Oval, I'm also a member of the Melon Head Mob. That's a good-looking Stylemaster you got there. I've had two Stylemasters and have really liked them. I think you've already found a good place to start accumulating some hats: Akubra. There are some great custom hatters out there, as well. Vintage is hard to come by for those of us who are cranially endowed, though.

If you'll dig around for a thread called Akubra Overload, I'm sure you'll find some pics of Loungers in Sydneys and Squatters. While I've never owned either, The Traveling Hat, which passed through my hands, was a Squatter, and I really liked it. It was a nice bit of felt, and felt like good quality construction. It's a lot more hat than the Stylemaster, though. Bigger brim, taller crown, the whole nine yards.

theinterchange

One Too Many
Went to Wal*Mart today and spotted these camouflage cloth hats in the sporting goods department and couldn't pass one up for a work hat.

4983772512_8634778f18_o.jpg

4983186053_75a9ebe715_o.jpg

It's not that shabbily made, either. Has a fairly comfortable cloth sweatband, a center dent crown and shallow pinch front. While it's currently very outback in shape, I'm thinking of fiddling with the brim to make it a bit more fedora like... but may leave it.

Randy

panama jack

One of the Regulars
jimmy the lid said:
Sneak preview -- just arrived today from Panama Bob/Art Fawcett...

PB-VS.jpg

Jimmy,
Very nice hat. Did you purchase it from Panama Bob un-blocked and send it to Art to finish? What quality is this hat?
Still being new to all this I don't know when you purchase a un-blocked hat from Panama Bob, do you still give him your normal hat size?

Mr Vim

One Too Many
Well, I just won this on eBay, no I do not have it yet, but I though I would post a picture anyway. This is a big step for me, I am moving away from stinigy brims and into... non stingy brims. This is a 1950's Penny's Marathon 2 1/4 inch brim. I'm really looking forward to it and will post other photos.

IMG_4831.jpg

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
RobFedoraField said:
I thought they quit making that color...

Apparently, someone (I bet it was some Loungers) petitioned Sam at EA to try to get some more hat from Akubra. I think he received around 50 or so. He also told me that he is able to get some more once this stock is depleted, so who knows lol :confused:!

This was the first dry bash, it looks a bit different now:

MyEntireCollection3.jpg

This picture best represents the actual color, although a bit washed out:

MyEntireCollection5.jpg

Here's the final shape, and a decent representation of the color (it looks a bit muted in the low lighting of my basement, and of course it's a bit washed out due to the photo, but you should get the idea :rolleyes: :

MyEntireCollection14.jpg
MyentireCollection13.jpg

Who knows what's going on at Akubra these days [huh] lol!

Mr Vim said:
Well, I just won this on eBay, no I do not have it yet, but I though I would post a picture anyway. This is a big step for me, I am moving away from stinigy brims and into... non stingy brims. This is a 1950's Penny's Marathon 2 1/4 inch brim. I'm really looking forward to it and will post other photos.

IMG_4831.jpg

Very nice pickup Mr Vim, when you get it, post some pics with it on your head!

Mr Vim

One Too Many
Will do, oh and I forgot to add the price. Twenty dollars. Ten of which was shipping, but that's Alaska for you, nothing I can do about that.

Rodkins

Call Me a Cab
theinterchange said:
Looking forward to more and post tweaking photos.

Nice terrazzo by the way!

Randy
Thanks! I will try to get some up in the next few days. The terrazzo is original central Florida from 1954. I found it under rose and blue colored carpet when I bought the house.

theinterchange

One Too Many
Rodkins said:
Thanks! I will try to get some up in the next few days. The terrazzo is original central Florida from 1954. I found it under rose and blue colored carpet when I bought the house.

We've got blue terrazzo under our carpet, but from 1959. ;)

Randy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner