Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tony from Tulsa

New in Town
It's hard to make out from the photo. Can you get a straight on and side screen shot? Also your summer straw looks fine to me.
I can. These are the best I have. Man, it's hard to get a good picture of a movie from a tv. Thanks for the help.
morganfreeman2.jpg

morganfreeman3.jpg

And I did find this one at the Hollywood Hat Lounge. They list it in brown, but I cannot get them to send me pictures of it in brown. I've sent 2 emails and called them twice, and still nothing. So I'm not sure that's the way to go. Anyway, I really like this one, and it looks like a pretty close match!
photo.png

buler

I'll Lock Up
Sunday drive

Drove 3.5 hours to Door County today. Looked at many antique malls/shops. Saw lots of junk. But found 3 hats at 3 different places, all my size. Left to Right, Mallory, Portis Flat-top, and Resistol Kitten Finish.

B

door_county.jpg

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
And I did find this one at the Hollywood Hat Lounge. They list it in brown, but I cannot get them to send me pictures of it in brown. I've sent 2 emails and called them twice, and still nothing. So I'm not sure that's the way to go. Anyway, I really like this one, and it looks like a pretty close match!

The one you've found looks like a Dorfman wool hat. I had one similar for a while. It's shorter and more tapered than the hat in the film.

If I were you, I'd look on Ebay for a vintage stingy, or take a look at an Akubra like the whippet: http://hatsdirect.com/cgi-bin/products.cgi?view=50&returncat=Fedora+Hats&returnpage=1 (not to be confused with the Vintage Stetson of the same name)

Tony from Tulsa

New in Town
The one you've found looks like a Dorfman wool hat. I had one similar for a while. It's shorter and more tapered than the hat in the film.

If I were you, I'd look on Ebay for a vintage stingy, or take a look at an Akubra like the whippet: http://hatsdirect.com/cgi-bin/products.cgi?view=50&returncat=Fedora+Hats&returnpage=1 (not to be confused with the Vintage Stetson of the same name)

Thanks, buddy! That is a cool hat. I assume you can roll the front up a bit? I prefer that look. Sorry, I'm new at this. Thanks for the help!

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Drove 3.5 hours to Door County today. Looked at many antique malls/shops. Saw lots of junk. But found 3 hats at 3 different places, all my size. Left to Right, Mallory, Portis Flat-top, and Resistol Kitten Finish.

B
IMG]http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s73/mrsony/door_county.jpg[/IMG]

Great day.

Alex

Practically Family
Welcome Tony!
I'd second searching eBay. Looks like the one Freeman is wearing has:
1) a ribbon that is the same color as the rest of the hat.
2) a shorter brim, 2" or less
3) a decent sized crown, not too much taper

the_shawshank_redemption-1042.jpg

There are many other stores to purchase fedoras from in this style. I'm sure the other loungers have good recommendations.

Last edited:

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Wow, Josh! That hat suits you so well!

Josh, The Rosemont looks fantastic! I like this one best of your recent batch from Johnnyphi although they are all very nice.

Another good match for you.

Thanks Guys!! I love this Rosemont. The crown height, shape, and flange are just what I look for in a hat. It fits so well and with the un-reeded sweat, it literally feels like I'm not even wearing a hat. The felt is extremely light. Thanks again!

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
Thanks, buddy! That is a cool hat. I assume you can roll the front up a bit? I prefer that look. Sorry, I'm new at this. Thanks for the help!

You want a brim that is bound with ribbon or has a Cavanagh edge which is a sewn edge. cavanagh edge primer
I wear a lot of my Milan summer hats with the brim up as brim up is a more casual look to me. A stingy brim hat works best for the brim up look if you want to go with that look on your hats.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up

B

door_county.jpg

Excellent haul, Bill!! I've never been to Door County, but Ive always wanted to go. Everyone keeps telling me its just beautiful. You found 3 gorgeous hats. That Resistol seems to have a really nice tall crown.:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Justin B

One Too Many

B

door_county.jpg

If I wasn't fairly certain you wear a bigger size than me I'd be mad that you found a kitten finish....

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
perhaps if enough buyers requested it, a sizable firm would produce a modern cav edge body- any thoughts on this?

Myself and many other hatters have tried to pressure the felt and hat companies to produce them, even at a premium price, but the answer has always been an unequivocal "Not at any price." I've even tried to convince Gary Rosenthal at Hatco to make them, to no avail. The only way I can see to get them made is to convince a Chinese company to make them, but that I won't do.

Brad

InsolentPuppy

A-List Customer
This new-to-me Mallory XV arrived courtesy of Douglas and the US Postal Service.
My cheapo camera wasn't able to capture its' color properly. It a moss green with brown undertones, but not as brown as in the photos. This one's going to get a lot of use once the temps drop.

malloryxv2.jpg

malloryxv.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou