Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for the comments, all. I'm really enjoying this one so far-- wore it all day today, and it's conforming nicely. A 3 3/8" brim sure isn't little, but somehow I feel totally comfortable in it-- more comfortable than my 2 1/2" silver belly Beaver Brand C crown. Not that you asked, but here's a shot of it dried, and in natural light.
lodengreenwesternhat003.jpg

Took my kids antiqueing today, bought a little Penny's Marathon Milan for my 4 year old son. the price was right, but it needs a new pug. He had a ball wearing it for an hour or so, and hasn't given it another thought since-- good thing it happens to be my size ;)

T Rick

Practically Family
Tony, to me, that appears to have much more taper than the one Morgan was wearing in the flick. I suggest you continue the search ;).

Bowlerman, whoa! I missed something, that hat looks great! Off to a previous page to see what I missed.

Last edited:

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks for the advice, Ed and everyone. I did some more research and came up with this little number. It knocked the wind out of me. What do you guys think of this one? It looks to be a pretty close match to the fedora worn by Morgan Freeman in "Shawshank Redemption". It's the classic English Trilby by Christys. 4" crown, 2-1/4" brim. It's out of my price range, but I think I may have just moved my price range up!
christystrilby.jpg

Go to top secret hats. They will beat any US price I've seen for Christys'. Even with the added shipping you come out a c-note to the better. That appears to be an EPSOM model in the Peatwood color... my .o2

Last edited:

Dronak

Familiar Face
New Hat

Here's the one I got earlier this week that prompted me to search for hat etiquette and find this forum:

A possibly better picture can be found on the Wilsons Leather web site -- look for the Wilsons Leather Fedora if this link doesn't work. I bought it in a store and not online, but it's the same hat. Although they label it as a fedora, I think it's actually a trilby based on info I have in a book and saw on the web.

HatsEnough

Banned
Actually, Mr. Dronak, a trilby is just another name for a style or category of fedora. What most people think of as a trilby was a 1960s(ish) era configuration -- short brim often severely turned up at the back in a near vertical manner.

But leather... yikes! Most of us shudder at that material! Most of us are fur felt folks. You couldn't pay me to wear a leather fedora. We don't get many leather aficionados around these parts. But you'll find all types here, just the same. We have quite a contingent that are trilby lovers, another group that wouldn't touch a fedora with a brim under 2-1/4 inches, some that like only German makers, some that only like Stetson, some that go for westerns (though this is a smaller group, to be sure), some that.... well, you get the picture.

So, welcome to the board. Read a lot of the older threads and you'll eventually get a whole history lesson in fedoras, bowlers, and top hats. I know I did when I first started lurking here.

Looking forward to getting to know you.

Dronak

Familiar Face
Thanks. Actually, that was the impression that I got from what I read, that a trilby is a type of fedora. Given that this hat does have a rather short brim that's turned up in the back, I think it fits the trilby classification.

As for the material, well, I didn't really know what was common until after buying this. And it's not really that I'm a big fan of leather either. I've been looking for a hat that my wife would like on me for a while. She generally didn't like the ones I've tried on in stores before, so when we saw this and she agreed it looked OK, I bought it. I didn't want to miss the chance or have her change her mind or something. Maybe in the future I can get a more common felt one, but I doubt my wife will agree to another purchase right now, so I think this is going to be my main hat for a while.

Thanks. I have been looking around the forum and expect to find a lot of info here.

Two hats arrived yesterday... here is a somewhat unconventional Gay Prince. Perhaps a travel variation, it misses some of the signature features of the popular Dobbs suede finish GP. More pictures and info on the Dobbs Diner thread.

gaylight2.jpg

gaylight8.jpg

gaylight10.jpg

gaylight1.jpg

Neophyte

Here is the turquoise Stetson "The Buckaroo" that I got off the 'bay. This is only the second Buckaroo I've ever seen, aside from JimmytheLid's. Felt is soft and malleable, and it has a cool 1-ply ribbon. This model differs from Jimmy's in that it also has significant curl to the brim.

StetsonBuckaroo6.jpg

StetsonBuckaroo4.jpg

StetsonBuckaroo1.jpg

StetsonBuckaroo2.jpg

StetsonBuckaroo3.jpg

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Wow Neo, that is a cool hat. I've not seen that model at all until now. I really like the colour.

Is the brim edge welted? Hard to see from the small photos on my phone. Looking forward to seeing pics of you wearing it.

Neophyte

No, except for the kettle curl the edge it raw. I have a pic of me wearing it. I don't much like the color, but I absolutely love the shape and brim!

In the end, I couldn't get a well-lit pic that wouldn't reflect too much off my skin and the hat, so keep in mind that everything in this pic is much darker in reality.

StetsonBuckaroo5.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou