Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

GoldenEraFan

One Too Many
Homburg I recently picked up. 1950's?
CIMG3654_zpsdd79ab12.jpg

CIMG3655_zpsf502207c.jpg

CIMG3656_zpsf204cf18.jpg

The only clue to the maker of this hat. Narrows it down to manufacturer names that end in "O".
CIMG3658_zpsb8537849.jpg

CIMG3659_zpsbb62dec3.jpg

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
That's a Hat Corporation of America product from the '50s or '60s. So, either Dobbs, Cavanagh, or Knox most likely. The "O" is a zero, as that's the last digit of the price, xx.00.

Probably not a Cavanagh, as it doesn't have the frayed bow.

Brad

Last edited:

GoldenEraFan

One Too Many
That's a Hat Corporation of America product from the '50s or '60s. So, either Dobbs, Cavanagh, or Knox most likely. The "O" is a zero, as that's the last digit of the price, xx.00.

Probably not a Cavanagh, as it doesn't have the frayed bow.

Brad

Thanks for the info! What signifies it as a "Hat Corporation of America" product?

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for the info! What signifies it as a "Hat Corporation of America" product?

The labels and tags. This '50s Cavanagh of mine shows the same factory labels and tags, with the interior price tag torn similarly to yours. I was trying to find a photo of an intact interior price tag, but I don't have one uploaded at the moment.

Mine has the early-'50s oval size tag, while yours has the later gold size tag.

50sCavHom4.jpg

Brad

Last edited:

randooch

I'll Lock Up
It pleases me no end that all these great old hats are finding loving homes, like inanimate (or maybe postanimate) strays. Even better that they're being worn again and photographed for all of our admiring eyes.

Keep up the good work, gents!

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Some Bowlers (Derby, Melone) had removable liners. Here is a very early 1900s JHS Melone with both a tip label and removable liner.

That's interesting, Steve! A very practical feature; I haven't seen it before but I often wondered whether it was ever done this way.

It pleases me no end that all these great old hats are finding loving homes, like inanimate (or maybe postanimate) strays. Even better that they're being worn again and photographed for all of our admiring eyes.

Keep up the good work, gents!

Same here, Randall. It's great to see these beauties being appreciated and photographed for us to see.

Last edited:
Manfred, The Lock & Co Hatters is a great find. It definitely looks like it's a market directed design. Very unique!

Cicero, Great Bowler! Any idea on the source? Is it English?

GoldenEraFan

One Too Many
The labels and tags. This '50s Cavanagh of mine shows the same factory labels and tags, with the interior price tag torn similarly to yours. I was trying to find a photo of an intact interior price tag, but I don't have one uploaded at the moment.

Mine has the early-'50s oval size tag, while yours has the later gold size tag.

50sCavHom4.jpg

Brad

Ah very enlightening! Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy