Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Interesting Gamebird, for sure! It has a 1940s factory label, but the coach logo (though not in gold, very unusual), which I've always thought to be an early-'50s logo. Best guess puts it circa-1950, then. This Gamebird ad from November 1949 looks a lot like it, so I may have to revise the use of the coach logo. Note that the ad also touts the Individu-Ovals, which your hat is, if you look at the fraction to the right of the 7 1/4 on the factory label. That type of sizing doesn't show up very often. You may very well have a 1949 model Gamebird there.

Brad

1949 Dobbs Gamebird.jpg

Last edited:

John Galt

Vendor
Not sure of the age of this one! It's in great shape; 5 3/4" open crown and 2 3/4" brim with guild edge.

photo1-3_zpsfbd73c38.jpg

It's a beauty, and reminds me of my Stetson Railbird. That is not really surprising when one considers the lawsuit between Dobbs (or parent) & Stetson over the use of the term "Railbird" for the latter's hat. Per the opinion, "Railbird" and "Gamebird" were synonymous terms.

This has always struck me as odd because I took Stetson's use of the term to refer to a race fan rather than an actual bird, and the "Railbird" as a sports hat rather than a hunting hat like the "Gun Club" which seems to actually directly compete with the Gamebird in the same niche.

Last edited:

Twinblaze

New in Town
Here's the fedora and panama I've purchased over the last year. Nothing too fancy since I don't exactly have much disposable income, but I like them.

file.php

file.php

PERFECLY done, Twinblaze! BOTH lids! Great proportions for you, Sir. Well chosen, and worn like you were born to wear a hat. You are off to a stellar start!!

P.sage, that may be one of the most beautiful, pristine peluche I have ever seen.

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
Interesting Gamebird, for sure! It has a 1940s factory label, but the coach logo (though not in gold, very unusual), which I've always thought to be an early-'50s logo

Brad, I have a tawny Gamebird Fifteen with the coach logo in gold. I always thought it to be a 40s hat, but I'm not quite sure of the factory label period ... my knowledge about the "Cavanagh-family" is not nearly as extremely substantial as yours. I can take a couple of pics, if you would like to give a guess on the age(?)

Purplesage that gamebird is a stunning hat. That felt is loaded with character, and it appears to be in practically new condition. What a score.
Twinblaze those are a great couple of looks. Congrats on the hats and welcome to the lounge.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
That's a good looking Bradford TJones. Did it begin its life as a western. I think I am going to start trolling the bay for an old silverbelly myself to repurpose. I'm pretty inspired by TPD's Roy Rogers crease. I love western with the older style crowns, there used to be so much more variety. About all I ever see around here are cattlemans, or the thrashed out Toby Keith style straw (lots of these actually, I guess 'cuz they go so well with flip-flops and t-shirts).

I too see a lot of hats with cattleman crease. On some of my hats I changed it to have more variety.
I don't like the trashed look of Keith hats.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Brad, I have a tawny Gamebird Fifteen with the coach logo in gold. I always thought it to be a 40s hat, but I'm not quite sure of the factory label period ... my knowledge about the "Cavanagh-family" is not nearly as extremely substantial as yours. I can take a couple of pics, if you would like to give a guess on the age(?)

Yes, I'd be glad to take a look, Ole. I can't remember the last time I saw a non-gold coach, or if indeed I've ever seen one. I don't have one documented in my files. If I don't save images I tend to forget what I've seen. I'm thinking the one above is transitional, as all of the gold ones I've seen were '50s.

Brad

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
Brad: That's kind of you, thanks. Then mine is probably a 50s too, but I'll try to get a couple of pics up tomorrow.

Purplesage: Sorry, I got carried away by Brad's always interesting historical points and completely forgot to mention your fantastic lid. Quite rude! It's in very fine condition and looks extremely soft. I'm also very intrigued by the color-combo of the felt and ribbon :)

Twinblaze: Welcome. Great and well worn hats you are showing. Nice to see that some in the younger generations prefer a nice looking hat. Don't worry about the quality of your hats. As your income grows, you'll be able to buy vintage and maybe even bespoke hats. That will on the other hand easily result in a frightening diminished disposable stash of money ... but there you go. "You're damned if you do - and you're damned if you don't" [huh] :D

Yes, I'd be glad to take a look, Ole. I can't remember the last time I saw a non-gold coach, or if indeed I've ever seen one. I don't have one documented in my files. If I don't save images I tend to forget what I've seen. I'm thinking the one above is transitional, as all of the gold ones I've seen were '50s.

Brad

This is what my Gamebird looks like inside:
Dobbs-Gamebird.jpg

Seldom seen
Dobbs-2.jpg

DOBBS-Gamebirdmixtures1935.jpg

CONELRAD

One of the Regulars
Purplesage, That is one of the nicest looking hats I've ever seen.

I just received my first Panama hat in the mail today, a 1950s Stetson Premier. I'd been holding out on buying a straw hat, waiting for a good deal.

IMGP1494.jpg

It's got a full three inches of brim!

IMGP1486.jpg

It's slightly faded and has a very small crack on top of the crown, but ultimately, I think it's in very good condition, and it's just the type of Panama I was looking for.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner