Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ManofKent

My Mail is Forwarded Here
American Legend from ebay after a little work on the dents and crease:

Pleasantly surprised by the quality - sweat isn't great (appears to be reconstituted leather) and the liner is a little garish, but the felt isn't bad - a bit stiff out of the box, but softens with a little work and is decently pounced. It fills a hole in my colour rotation (if the photos aren't clear it's just on the light side of navy, but much darker than french blue), and I was impressed enough to order another in Maroon.

Beaver Brand before tweaking the crease and crown:

Colour is silverbelly (a bit lighter and greyer than the photo suggests). Passable quality - sweat is pleather, and I suspect this is the cheapest grade of fur felt they offered - pouncing is okay. It's no worse than many modern production hats and perfectly wearable, but not great. No complaints for $40 (extra cheap because it had a couple of marks on the brim, that brushing removed).

John Galt

Vendor
Nice work gentlemen!

Aaron, I presume you'll wear it until it is dry? It will conform best that way (and may yet shrink a bit if you don't).

"Faint hat never won fair lady."

Orangegrad

Practically Family
Richard - yours appear to be similar to mine in terms of quality and the material of the sweats - and the same prices too. Great hats to use when raking, mowing the grass, etc. Not high quality, but as you say, passable.

Nice color on the first one, too.

ManofKent

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Richard - yours appear to be similar to mine in terms of quality and the material of the sweats - and the same prices too. Great hats to use when raking, mowing the grass, etc. Not high quality, but as you say, passable.

Nice color on the first one, too.

Thanks - the American Legend one isn't bad (apart from the cheaper sweat I'd put it almost on a par with Akubra, albeit with a lighter weight (and closer pounced) felt), definitely a big step up from the Beaver Brand one, but from what I can gather Beaver Brand had a number of price points, and I suspect this silverbelly one was near the bottom. I think when ordering these old stock hats it's a bit of a lottery as to what quality of hat you get.

KingOfTheRoaring20's

New in Town
Hello Loungers, I picked up this 1940's Stetson Whippet from my local Hatter today. I had it stretched from a 7 to a 7 1/4 and he did a remarkable job. I found this hat at a flea market crumpled up on a blanket...I knew I had to save it. For $15 this has turned out to be one of my best looking Stetsons.

John Galt

Vendor
Hello Loungers, I picked up this 1940's Stetson Whippet from my local Hatter today. I had it stretched from a 7 to a 7 1/4 and he did a remarkable job. I found this hat at a flea market crumpled up on a blanket...I knew I had to save it. For $15 this has turned out to be one of my best looking Stetsons.

Great purchase & it looks good on you! If you decide you want more Stetsons, you can sell it for 35 times what you paid for it and buy a batch of them!

Last edited:

Lotsahats

One Too Many
Fantastic work, Richard! For the price, the hats certainly do the trick. Personally I wouldn't have bit at full retail, but at this discount, it was hard to go wrong.

Aaron, I presume you'll wear it until it is dry? It will conform best that way (and may yet shrink a bit if you don't).
Ah, good advice! I didn't, but Tuesday being my day off, I might play around with it again.

A

Orangegrad

Practically Family
St Regis Royal Deluxe Stetson

This one arrived in the mail this morning. Appears to have not been worn before. Amazingly clean for a 60 year old hat. I won this as an ebay auction, but I wouldn't be surprised if the owner is a Lounge member. I'm happy.

IMG_2268.jpg

IMG_2267.jpg

IMG_2266.jpg

IMG_0380.JPG

IMG_0379.JPG

Orangegrad

Practically Family
Having purchased a number of 50s Stetsons and Mallorys recently, I now really appreciate vintage fedoras much more than I did several months ago. The felt is quite different from what we find today.

John Galt

Vendor
This one arrived in the mail this morning. Appears to have not been worn before. Amazingly clean for a 60 year old hat. I won this as an ebay auction, but I wouldn't be surprised if the owner is a Lounge member. I'm happy.

That's a beauty!

Orangegrad

Practically Family
That's a beauty!

Thanks, guys. This one really is special. As a friend who dropped by mentioned - I may be making an unintended religious statement with the beard and black homburg. But I'll wear it anyway - with my bow tie...and my jeans...and my roper boots...

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Very beautiful, Andy! Doesn't look a bit orthodox on your head to me.

I had to go back and get this homburg this afternoon. I just couldn't let it sit there among the riffraff.

Resistol melorol stingy homburg with extra thin brim binding and a back bow. The color is a velvety dark brown. This hat is classy but has attitude.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1381259458406.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1381259458406.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 96
  • uploadfromtaptalk1381259484919.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1381259484919.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 111

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member