Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Well, I was rather pleased that the mystery Stetson 25 I bought on eBay was delivered today.

This is the one that was stuffed into a Stratoliner box which forced the brim to look more like a western than a fedora

smugshot_5784902-L.jpg

While I really don't need any hats at the moment, I made a minimum bid and won!

The hat that arrived is still a bit of a mystery, but I really like it.

Firstly, the Strat box must be tougher than it looked - the seller shipped it just wrapped in a layer of paper. Rather amazing that it arrived in one piece.

Here's how the hat looked after doing nothing but snapping the brim and adding the pinches

smugshot_4423521-L.jpg

I'm not sure that is is really a Stetson 25 or even if it is a Stetson at all. It does have an Stetson 25 liner, but there are no markings on the sweatband (there are a few loose stitches on the sweatband, but otherwise the hat is in super shape) and not a single label to be found. Whatever the origin, the felt is good quality, at least as good as Stetson 25s I've owned and I really like the ribbon and the blocking. The general quality of the finishing is excellent.

The fit is perfect - one thing I was worried about - and the hat just feels right.

smugshot_9609341-L.jpg

Very happy with the deal.

Last edited:

Purplesage

One Too Many
Knox Fifteen Tom n Jerry

This Tom n Jerry has some of the softest lightweight felt I've come across. I've seen Tom n Jerry fedoras in different renditions but haven't come across one with the spiral stitching on the band, which I think adds and interesting touch. Not sure if there is a spiral brim thread on the lounge! In any case save for a couple of very shallow surface moth nibs the hat is in great condition. It has a 2 3/4" raw edge brim with 14 rows of spiral stitching and a 5 3/4" open crown with is wrapped in a 1 5/8" grosgrain ribbon. The inside of the hat has a cellophane liner cover. On the block order tag there is some handwriting which looks like "Everdale". I don't know if that is the hat color or the name of the customer. I'm thinking this one is from the late 40s but maybe someone else can give me a more precise date.

photo4-11_zps48e1cb31.jpg

photo1-32_zps8825d6bd.jpg

photo3-106_zps4b55ca4e.jpg

photo3-105_zps94f735f5.jpg

photo4-108_zps4a8285c7.jpg

photo4-127_zpsca1f933d.jpg

photo1-193_zps65781d5b.jpg

photo3-116_zps74a54674.jpg

photo1-194_zpsd23ceee7.jpg

photo5-134_zpscf77a576.jpg

Looks nice, David. From the first pictures, it looked like a sweatband and ribbon replacement during renovation. Perhaps the other parts are original. Wears great.

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Thanks, Alan. It was make sense that this was an Open Road style S25 with the ribbon and sweatband replaced. The ribbon work is not badly done, but it doesn't quite look like the originals from Stetson.

I've been thinking of getting a wider ribbon on one of my OR's and I really like this size ribbon on the hat.

P-Haze - that's just a super Tom n Jerry. I hope that if you sell it you price it way out of my currently limited hat budget so I don't have to try and buy it.

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
Well, I was rather pleased that the mystery Stetson 25 I bought on eBay was delivered today [...] Very happy with the deal.

I'm happy to hear the deal went so well, David. Nice, it was not was a hard taco-shell after all. Always go for the wind-trolley! Congratulations :)

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Thanks, Ole. Yep, the wind trolly came through - this is one of my best eBay deals for quite a while.

A hat I think I'll be wearing a lot.

frenchgentleman

New in Town
Here is my new hat, a brown beaver fedora custom made by Pauline Brosset. It is almost identical to the gray one I have posted a few months ago, except for the felt color:
p1060041-42b2dec.jpg

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Thanks, Richard, Roger, Mike. This one was quite a score.

FrenchGentleman, nice to see one of Ms Brosset's hats here. I remember seeing a fantastic Panama posted that she had made last summer - was that yours too?

frenchgentleman

New in Town
Thank you, splintercellsz and DJH.

FrenchGentleman, nice to see one of Ms Brosset's hats here. I remember seeing a fantastic Panama posted that she had made last summer - was that yours too?
Yes, you have a good memory! It is the Panama she has made for me last summer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran