Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
Chapellerie De Luxe

Velour finish. Unsure of age, but I think pre-40s. Beautiful condition. There are labels behind the sweat, but they are to torn to read...

udabaza4.jpg

ejepe6yd.jpg

ady6yves.jpg

4ehaqy6a.jpg

4y4a4ane.jpg

atezysu7.jpg

zyqehave.jpg

de5y7ere.jpg

Q: Alan if there is nothing to suggest that the middle Borso is a pre-50s hat, what evidence is there that would exclude it from being a pre-50s Borso? The OPS tag seems to be pretty decisive in dating a hat within a three year window but the middle Borso does not have an OPS tag and the features are certainly characteristic of a 40s era hat. Maybe our resident Borso experts would know! It really doesn't matter to me if it was pre or post 50s, I'm most interested in factual data to improve my knowledge base.

We are totally on the same page in our interests. The middle hat - a Borsalino Gorasgu which you felt might be 1940s or earlier is a hat made for the American market. We have quite a few of these posted in the Borsalino Brotherhood thread. It is an iconic style circa 1950.

Remember that American stores were devoid of Borsalino hats during the war years and the years immediately following as the factories and production capacity were rebuilt. So there is a pretty tight window where this logo imprinted label might appear on imported hats... late 1940s - mid 1950s. Without an OPS tag or dated sales slip, there is very little that can narrow down with certainty a post war Borso with this label. There are precious few examples of 1930s U.S. market Borsalinos on the lounge. Some clues might include an earlier logo label with a separate size sticker next to it... wider sweatbands... unusual liner markings.

So I would say there is no evidence to disqualify the hat from being 1940s, as long as we are talking about the last couple of years of the 1940s. During the years where this label was used and even in the years after the logo disappeared from the label, Borsalino quality was very consistent and very high.

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
Thank you Alan! It's a pretty nice hat. I am still trying to find out which crease best suits it. Hmmm. I just wish I could tell more on it, but it seems to be a mystery. The only labels it has are those seen on the liner.

Some Random Bloke

New in Town
This just arrived this morning. I was so excited I took it into work and will sport it to corporate lawn bowls tonight. (My company hat is too small).

Akubra Stylemaster. My first fedora and first quality hat in 20 years. I went with the grey for versatility and safety, and because I wanted it in a hurry.

I had an Akubra felt bush hat in my early 20s but don't remember what happened to that. Then another by a company I don't recall (Statesman?) that I think has since closed. It got thoroughly beaten up and I left it as a cultural prop for a volunteer organisation I was with.

Got it from Everything Australian. I was worried about sizing but I think it's fine. A little rounder than my head - does it take long to adjust to your head or is something I can do to help it?

2u3amupu.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Purplesage

One Too Many
Your brown Foxhound Looks exactly the same as mine Garrett except the color in my size as well.

Sharp looking velour Justin.

Last edited:

Landman

One Too Many
I might investigate but I don't know were to start. Don't know any signatures...

Joao, if the hat came from the USA then those signatures are probably professional rodeo cowboys or country western stars. It is very common here in Texas to see people get their hats autographed at rodeos by the contestants and the musical entertainers.

nigeloscar

One of the Regulars
Finally it have arrived. I was already thinking it was lost or on his way back to Down Under.
My first Akubra from down there, the other side of the world and I love it!
ak01.jpg

ak02.jpg

ak03.jpg

ak04.jpg

ak05.jpg

ak06.jpg

ak07.jpg

ak08.jpg

ak09.jpg

ak10.jpg

It was posted on December, 23th and only arrived at the customs house by January, 25th. Where in the world has this thing been for 1 month...
I'm late to the party on this one - but my friend - I love the sombrero on you ! You might just have convinced me to get the credit card out!! I've admired this hat from a distance for just too long now...

buler

I'll Lock Up
Morning! Just another plea to remove all but one picture when you reply to a post with multiple pictures. Please!!!!!!!!!!!! I beg you. For my (and many others) sanity.

Thanks!

B

Justin, Thanks! Is it serrated on the bottom (like the top)? It appears to be . If so it looks like it could be a J. Hückel´s Söhne (JHS) paper label.

Last edited:
Yes it is serrated as well as the other label. Any ideas as to the possible age? Any crease ideas as well? I can't find one that really works

The format looks like a JHS label (see below) but can't say for sure with most of it missing.

4710378246_d584e38082_b.jpg

It looks like it could be the 1930s range as you suggested. What does it look like with a center crease (not super deep), more forward smaller side dents (not a tight pinch) and snapped?

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
A great big thanks to John Galt for the Knox 15 Westlite. The sweat and liner are very clean. Given the "Oilskin" covering over the liner's logo, I'm guessing early 1950s (?) I did some tweaking to the crown and raised the height to 4 1/2 at the pinch, squared up the sides, and put a C-crown crease in it...I also tweaked the brim and gave it more of a snap brim...I salvaged a thin ribbon from an old OR I had that I'll be putting on this Knox. What a great gift! Thanks again John G....

x7ut.jpg

Knox 06.jpg

Knox 09.jpg

Knox 10.jpg

Knox 11.jpg

Knox 12.jpg

Knox 13.jpg

Knox 14.jpg

Last edited:

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
The format looks like a JHS label (see below) but can't say for sure with most of it missing.

4710378246_d584e38082_b.jpg

It looks like it could be the 1930s range as you suggested. What does it look like with a center crease (not super deep), more forward smaller side dents (not a tight pinch) and snapped?

I hear you. It does look like that label, style and font wise.

It looks ok. I believe it was flanged for the brim up, and snapping it does not hold at all. Center dent for sure, but the pinch throws it off. It seems like the crown is more squarish in shape. I will just have to put some time into playing with it

TJ, very nice!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran