Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
That hat looks great rclark. I've been toying with the idea of getting one myself (straw season down here in AL lasts a lot longer than beaver season). Does it have any kind of wire or reinforcement in the brim to help keep it's shape?

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

rclark

Call Me a Cab
Thanks MOK. It is straw season this weekend with temps in the mid to high 70's but then its back to felt with a cold, rainy week in the forecast.

dh66, no, there is no reinforcement in the brim. I think it will need a little steam tonight to get it the brim to my liking.

rclark

Call Me a Cab
Nice, RC, I have one also, but certainly not wearing it now. Maybe in a couple of months?

Yes, I saw the photos of yours and comments that you posted and that helped seal the deal for me. Thanks for your contributions to this forum on all of your hats! It really helps a neophyte like me navigate the world of hats.

Rick

Purplesage

One Too Many
I think this $25.00 Dobbs was money well spent. Of course one man's junk is another man's treasure. I know it's a Dobbs because the logo is visible under the aged oilskin although it's difficult to see, I'm pretty sure this is not the original sweatband as it has no markings and it's a bit thicker then the ones on the Dobbs I own. The sweatband seam is taped in back so maybe it was replaced long ago or maybe not. It had a gaudy bandana wrapped around it that was barely held on by a small safety pin which I promptly removed. The felt is in great shape so all it really needs is to be cleaned and have a new ribbon put on. Maybe someone here would hasten to guess when this one was made. Dick Tracy wore a yellow fedora right! Of course no one knows if it was a long hair. I would like an opinion if I should remove the oilskin which is cracked in a couple of places and you can't really see the logo behind it since it is so yellowed. Looks like all the tags that normally would be behind the sweatband have been removed or fell off at some point. I took a gamble it would fit and it does. Feels like a 7 1/4 on the large side. The color is really brilliant outside, particularly in the sun. It has a 2 6/8 brim with welted felt edge and a 4 3/4" crown as shown (5 3/4 plus open crown).

photo2-347_zpsb3fcfaaa.jpg

deec956b-0fab-4d3c-9f23-a8d030144af5_zps3fc1105a.jpg

photo3-325_zps4e31c42e.jpg

photo1-452_zps717aaba1.jpg

c2971976-1dae-45d6-b0fc-1757310cc806_zps5759b29b.jpg

Example of what the logo looks like under the oilskin.

cc25a31f-0528-451f-92f5-375b80ef0de7_zps34331a02.jpg

Rogera

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Here are some new acquistions due to the diligence of my wife's treasure hunting yesterday. The Stetson appears to be early 60's. Boths hats are in great shape, VERY dusty.

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
1920s Stetson Select

This one was about to be sent off to star in Boardwalk Empire, but I just happened to swoop in ;)

y3y5ypej.jpg

bedeseje.jpg

More photos in the pre-1940s Stetsons thread

Last edited:

Thunderball

One of the Regulars
Last week I received my black Premier Stratoliner from Del Monico Hatter. I also received a Banjo Patterson and Rink from Everything Australian. The Akubra 62cm hats fit just right. The Stetson 7-3/4 / 62cm is loose.

ManofKent

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Nice trio Thunderball. I've generally considered Akubras (with the exception of the Fed IV) to be on the generous side so it's interesting to hear the Premier Strat is slightly large.

---
A new Akubra Homburg for me - more photos and details in the Homburg thread:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112