Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
There is always a first time... well I was expecting a Resistol Stagecoach but this was what arrived...
royal01.jpg

royal02.jpg

royal03.jpg

royal04.jpg

royal05.jpg

royal06.jpg

royal07.jpg

royal08.jpg

Seller mixed hats and send them to wrong buyers. Box was not good so it arrived in this condition. Waiting to know if the other person wants to exchange hats (seller says it will pay postage). Since it is a 57 (7 1/8) it does not fit my head. If it would fit I might keep it since it have a 3 1/2" brim. I didn't know Stetson made hats in Spain. Spanish weird names... "silverbilly" and Westem"... maybe silverbelly and Western?

LonnieW

New in Town
Outlet Store Open Crown Fedora

The danger of living in the Dallas area is the ease of visiting the Outlet Store in Garland. Stopped by today not looking for anything, but just to check things out. I ended up with the hat here.

It was in the 7 1/8 rack, as was so marked. But it caught my eye as I walked by it, partly due to the fact it had an open crown, and as it turned out it fit my 7 1/7 LO head almost perfectly. Looking further, there was absolutely no stamping on the sweatband except what you see. The tag had no model name on it. I have no idea what it might have been intended on being. I do think the band is gosh awful...puke brown. Maybe I can do something about that down the road.

If anyone has any ideas about what it might have been, other than a "generic" Royal Stetson or such, I'd be interested in knowing.

But I do know this....to my hands it had the best fur in that part of the store; it was stunning. I'm no expert, but I walked over to the western hats and there's no doubt the feel is better than the 20Xs, and believe it was as good or better than the 30Xs. I showed it to one of the guys doing the shaping, who did a double take when I handed it to him.

The crown has just about the stiffness of a western hat, but the brim is more flexible like expected on a fedora.

I don't know what the issue is with the hat, that caused it to be out there....it all looks good to me, except perhaps the rippling on the brim edging. But for the $59 tag I thought it was a good buy for my purposes.

desg47.jpg

atotjm.jpg

30hoeg7.jpg

2nw1q2c.jpg

Purplesage

One Too Many
Borsalino Grand Prix Marca Columbo XXX

I couldn't pass up this Borsalino velour which is in pristine condition. 2 1/2" brim with raw edge; 5 3/8" open crown with 1" grosgrain ribbon; oilskin liner cover and reeded sweatband. I tried to get some decent photos with my IPhone but velour is difficult to photograph to really capture it's beauty. I'm thinking this one is from the 40s and is a European market model. Seems the European Borsalinos I own have reeded sweatbands whereas the others made for the American market have unreeded sweatbands!

photo4-231_zps88c634b8.jpg

photo2-290_zpsd4edd9ef.jpg

photo1-297_zps29ae6248.jpg

photo5-293_zps2015b29e.jpg

photo1-362_zps6a014b07.jpg

photo2-244_zps0228e97b.jpg

photo5-253_zpsdb39a9e0.jpg

photo1-337_zpsf31eb947.jpg

photo1-300_zps4d4f9959.jpg

Roan

One of the Regulars
Just got this old Crofut & Knapp homburg this week. It's a little dirty and the sweatband is coming loose but, it's nothing I can't fix myself and I got it for a very reasonable price. Anyone have an idea on the age?

DSCN0433.jpg

DSCN0431.jpg

DSCN0430.jpg

DSCN0429.jpg

DSCN0428.jpg

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Just got this old Crofut & Knapp homburg this week. It's a little dirty and the sweatband is coming loose but, it's nothing I can't fix myself and I got it for a very reasonable price. Anyone have an idea on the age?

DSCN0428.jpg

Nice catch! It's no older than May 1943, as that's when that particular C&K liner tip was first put to use. It continued up until through 1960s, though by then it had a plastic liner tip protector. It's either from the 1940s or 1950s, it just depends if it has aHCA 1940s or 1950s factory label underneath the sweatband.

Brad

Roan

One of the Regulars
Nice catch! It's no older than May 1943, as that's when that particular C&K liner tip was first put to use. It continued up until through 1960s, though by then it had a plastic liner tip protector. It's either from the 1940s or 1950s, it just depends if it has aHCA 1940s or 1950s factory label underneath the sweatband.

Brad

Cool, thanks Brad! I'll try to get a picture of the inner label tonight after work. By the way, how does one tell the difference between a 40's label and a 50's label?

- R

The danger of living in the Dallas area is the ease of visiting the Outlet Store in Garland. Stopped by today not looking for anything, but just to check things out. I ended up with the hat here.

It was in the 7 1/8 rack, as was so marked. But it caught my eye as I walked by it, partly due to the fact it had an open crown, and as it turned out it fit my 7 1/7 LO head almost perfectly. Looking further, there was absolutely no stamping on the sweatband except what you see. The tag had no model name on it. I have no idea what it might have been intended on being. I do think the band is gosh awful...puke brown. Maybe I can do something about that down the road.

If anyone has any ideas about what it might have been, other than a "generic" Royal Stetson or such, I'd be interested in knowing.

But I do know this....to my hands it had the best fur in that part of the store; it was stunning. I'm no expert, but I walked over to the western hats and there's no doubt the feel is better than the 20Xs, and believe it was as good or better than the 30Xs. I showed it to one of the guys doing the shaping, who did a double take when I handed it to him.

The crown has just about the stiffness of a western hat, but the brim is more flexible like expected on a fedora.

I don't know what the issue is with the hat, that caused it to be out there....it all looks good to me, except perhaps the rippling on the brim edging. But for the $59 tag I thought it was a good buy for my purposes.

It's probably a prototype for the new vintage line. I found a Stetsonian (no mark) prototype at the outlet this past December.

Purplesage

One Too Many
40s Royal Stetson

Got this Royal Stetson from Scott last year. It's too nice a hat not to post. I guess the color is a golden brown and it has a 2 7/8" brim (Didn't know Stetson made that size of brim) with light blue binding and a 5" crown as shown (5 3/5" open crown) which is wrapped in a 1 3/4 " brown grosgrain ribbon with wind trolley. Inside it has an oilskin crown tip cover and reeded sweatband. The lining is a little stained but otherwise the hat is in excellent condition. It reminds me of a Whippet I use to own without the Whippet labels. The felt on this hat is actually better than the majority of Whippets I've owned.

photo1-363_zps0129ec03.jpg

photo2-292_zpsa4c37822.jpg

photo5-295_zps6399559e.jpg

photo4-292_zps8d7362d9.jpg

photo5-297_zps4435eb45.jpg

photo4-294_zps8c8c82cd.jpg

photo2-295_zps339232cc.jpg

photo1-367_zps5ae2478b.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members