Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Garrett

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yes! that's where I got it from! Love that store! A western you say? gives off a pretty classic fedora look IMO.

The proportions and styling (block,flange) naturally lend itself to an older western style (boss of the plains, austral, etc). Also, that color scheme and ribbon style are commonly found on the early Stetson western models. One can snap down a brim and put fedora style pinches on most any model of hat but that doesn't mean it was designed to be worn in that manner.

Purplesage

One Too Many
Disney Fifteen

A little soiled but in otherwise excellent condition. 2 1/2" brim with custom edge with a 4 3/4" crown as shown (5 3/4 open crown) which is wrapped in a 1 3/4" grosgrain ribbon with wind trolley. The liner has a plastic or cellophane cover and the sweatband is unreeded. Not sure about the age on this one. I'm thinking late 40s or early 50s!. The unreeded sweatband is throwing me off since I don't know that many American hat companies who were using unreeded sweatbands in the 50s. I've read some discussion about DuPont "Aridex" water repellent on one of the threads that could also help date it.

photo1-292_zpsa8667e65.jpg

photo4-248_zps36ed7ce8.jpg

photo2-234_zps69e2ec61.jpg

photo1-277_zps57c9e766.jpg

photo3-219_zps1086313f.jpg

photo1-278_zps5c45a0fd.jpg

photo5-243_zps82367239.jpg

buler

I'll Lock Up
The frayed ribbon in particular was a trademark of '10s-'30s hats, along with the proportions and non-tapering crown.

Not sure what you mean by non-tapering crown, unless you are just referring to a fairly "straight" block. But I'd be careful judging a hats age by proportion. With the pictures you posted and having no tags or sweatmarks, I wouldn't want to guess the age of that hat.

Here is an example from a hat ad. What age would everyone guess this hat at, based on proportions. Hat is listed with a 4 3/4 crown and 2 1/2 inch brim.

example_hat.JPG

B

I'm guessing that the "F F" on the Disney sweatband stands for Freakin' Fantastic... it certainly is!

Ok, Buler, I'll bite... We might guess 50's by the proportions; but is it the 30's?

buler

I'll Lock Up
I'm guessing that the "F F" on the Disney sweatband stands for Freakin' Fantastic... it certainly is!

Ok, Buler, I'll bite... We might guess 50's by the proportions; but is it the 30's?

HatsRme, that is a fair guess. I'm still waiting for a few more people to play..... then I'll reveal the full ad.

B

buler

I'll Lock Up
Naahhh ... a clever man once said: "With the pictures you posted and having no tags or sweatmarks, I wouldn't want to guess the age of that hat." ;)

Ok. I have to get going. So I'll give out the answer. That hat is from the Fall of 1909. See my recent ad posting to the Schoble thread.

Tom was only 10 years off!!! Nice going.
B

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails