Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Kevlar

New in Town
Just purchased a vintage Dobbs Twenty at a local flea market this morning: fur felt, stingy brim fedora: 1 7/8 in. brim, 4 1/2 in. crown, 2 in. black ribbon. Color? According to the paper tag still stuck on the inside of the hatband, "oliverde," other wise known as green. Not a raw edge, but folded over into a tiny welt. There is a marking on the inside of the hatband that says "Guild Edge."

There is other information on the hatband -- the hat band has "Dobbs Twenty" imprinted on it, although the "Twenty" part is faded from wear. It also is marked "Gimbels Mens Store."

The paper tag has the hat size, 7 3/8 (perfect!), color, and price, $20. Also on it are the figures "F61."

I figure it to be a vintage 1960s hat, but will bow to the superior knowledge base of this board if a different year is suggested.

Price? $15, although the seller did mention he thought it was a "$100 hat."

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
Congratulations! It's a $20 hat, though - not a $100 hat. Had it been a $100 hat, it would have read something like "Dobbs One Hundred". $20 or $100 ... who cares, as long as it's nice and you like it ;)

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Wonderful! We see so few presentation hats from HCA. Any chance we can get some more photos?

Brad

Thanks Brad, it's in the mail and I should have it soon, so I'll take some additional pics. I do have some larger photos, and looking at them more closely, it appears to be a raw-edge, which makes more sense given that it's a western dress style. Here are some details from the larger pics - for some reason they shrink down when I upload them here.

As an aside, Muncrief only played one year with the Yankees (1951) and appeared in 2 games, pitching 3 innings.

Updated with hat history, from '1951 When the Giants Played the Game': The Yanks would be preparing to defend their crown in Phoenix, Arizona, while Leo Durocher's Giants took over the St. Petersburg Florida site. The switch was prompted by Yankees co-owner Del Webb, who resided in Phoenix and had wanted to bring his team to the Southwestern city for some time....Webb had purchased $50 cowboy hats for each player to wear around Phoenix. New York baseball writer Dan Daniel wrote of Yogi Berra: "Hopalong Berra looks especially funny, as his hat happens to be too small for him." Berra also complained that it was difficult to find a good selection of comic books in Phoenix.

Here's the team sporting their Dobbs Fifty hats:

PHX-yankees-1951_sm-500x297.jpg

Hat-Dobbs50Dtl1.jpg
Hat-Dobbs50Dtl12.jpg
Hat-Dobbs50Dtl13.jpg

Last edited:

Geno43

New in Town
This is my first post to the forum

I went to a local antique mall and was looking around for hats. I've been wearing hats for a couple of years now. I own an Akubra FedIV in carbon gray and a Garrison "Raider" fedora, but I've been wanting a vintage one for a while.

There weren't many hats on display in the shop except for what looked like a panama with a hole worn right through the crease, and a boy scout campaign hat. I did however find some hat boxes, most of which were empty. In the ones that were not empty I found a brown bowler marked size 7, and then a Dobbs Hanover Square that actually fit.

http://i.imgur.com/tZmydfn.jpg

The ribbon's a bit wonky and it had a few moth bites, but for $20 I took it. I've since cleaned it up a bit.

http://i.imgur.com/F5UzHYsl.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/F9xLwfvl.jpg

Banky

One of the Regulars
Some better daytime shots of my first (mostly) solo hat. Ribbon work done by Art as a gift while visiting our shop this week. As described in the "What hat are you wearing today?" thread a few pages back. Please excuse my screwed up collar and the dark spot in the ribbon shot is a raindrop.

Tedquinton

A-List Customer
I have always loved the hat Dana Andrews wore in 'Laura', but had given up on finding one, so ordered a custom and then as fate would have it this turned up on Ebay, with 'cav' edge and just about in my size, perhaps a tad too small but I really dont care.

The felt is incredible, really dense but very thin and takes a dry crease with ease.

I absolutely love it.

It's a Sak's Fifth Avenue, not sure if that was a maker or a re-branding.

Purplesage

One Too Many
Royal Steton Whippet VITA-FELT

Just picked up this chocolate brown Whippet VITA-FELT a couple of days ago. It's in excellent condition but did require quite a bit of steaming. It has a 2 1/2" brim with 3/8" burnt orange grosgrain edging and a 5 1/2" open crown which is wrapped in a 1 1/2" matching burnt orange grosgrain ribbon. The ribbon is a little fancier than the other whippets I own. The crown tip says Vita Felt. The silk liner is a little loose but that's an easy fix. The leather sweatband is unreeded. The red Stetson tag behind the sweat has "702 1/2" stamped on it. I guess that's the block. I don't think I've seen that number on any of the Stetsons I own. I'm thinking the hat dates from when Stetson first introduced VITA-FELT.

photo1-552_zps2bd8c4e3.jpg

photo4-432_zps97a59a59.jpg

photo3-437_zps98f8b678.jpg

photo5-475_zps1404ed2b.jpg

photo4-433_zps60535da5.jpg

photo5-480_zps295eeabe.jpg

photo1-557_zps03a33252.jpg

photo3-444_zps42f0bedb.jpg

photo1-553_zps7a99bc1a.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads