Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
Alan's Peschel reminded me of this lid, which I had all but forgotten I own. Bought it several years ago at an antique fair in Portland, Oregon. Bought it right off the vendor lady's head for 20 bucks, if I remember correctly. If there's any stiffener in it, it's making itself hard to detect. Seriously, you can change its shape by blowing on it. Very plush velour finish.

Fantastic! It's probably from about the same time period. If it has a paper label would it be possible to post a photo? Thanks for posting the photos!

Purplesage

One Too Many
Pre-40s Stetson

I'm guessing this particular Stetson dates to the 30s or older. Maybe someone here would be able to pin down a more precise date as to when it was made. The lady I bought it from thought it was 7 3/8 but it turned out to be a 6 7/8. So much for being able to wear it. In any case I decided to keep it since it is a good example of the period and it's in excellent overall condition. Don't know if it ever had a liner.

photo5-499_zpsc7d8f470.jpg

photo2-348_zps4c43ec2e.jpg

photo1-249_zps57d48792.jpg

photo1-246_zps5ce78079.jpg

photo5-223_zpsdf156792.jpg

photo1-250_zps57491175.jpg

photo5-218_zps611707d2.jpg

photo5-224_zps46f36873.jpg

photo2-383_zps06b71ad2.jpg

Last edited:

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up

Considering the Expo Medal Logo says MCMXV, its no earlier than 1915 and in my opinion no later than the mid 20's or so. The VVVVVVVVVV stitching on the sweatband and off center reed tie makes me think it from the late teens/early 20's. Also, I have seen old Stetson ads with hats that use that exact same bow style from the late teens/early 20's.

hartfell

New in Town
My first Borsalino

I just purchased my first Borsalino yesterday. It's made of "Fibre di Carta" (paper). I hadn't planned on buying another summer hat since I already have two Panamas, but I made the mistake of visiting one of my local hat shops for the first time (Fedora Primo in Santa Monica) and fell in love with this hat. It's crushable, not that I will, and incredibly light. It's one size too large so it's a little "roomy" but it still fits and I don't think it looks too big. They gave me some foam strips to put inside the sweatband, which I tried, but I don't like the way the hat looks and feels with them inserted - the hat is trickier to take on and off and it seems to bulge ever so slightly along the ribbon. I have 30 days to return it if the size bothers me.

Attachments

• IMG_0538.jpg
    IMG_0538.jpg
    403.4 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_0533.jpg
    IMG_0533.jpg
    386.2 KB · Views: 112

Denton

One of the Regulars
Awesome Stetson, Purplesage. The motto on the liner, "the store with a conscience" has been running through my head all morning. I guess it is supposed to inspire confidence. For me, it inspires questions. What does this store have to prove? Is it feeling guilty about something?

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
Awesome Stetson, Purplesage. The motto on the liner, "the store with a conscience" has been running through my head all morning.

Is there a picture, that doesen't show up on my screen? I see no motto and no liner anywhere [huh]

Edit: Ahhh ... now I see it in the crest on the sweatband ;)

Per mayserwegener's request, photos of the identifying marks in that old Peschel velour I posted photos of yesterday. As you can see, the original retail purchaser got it at a real bargain price. The sweatband is indeed repairable, but I'll hold off on that until I have a bit more confidence in my ability to reattach a loose unreeded sweatband. I know it can be done. It takes a very fine needle and a steady hand and a fair measure of patience. And a loupe might come in handy.

Last edited:
That's great, Tony... thanks for posting. Many similarities to the hat I posted and also a Florida quality, whatever that might mean. Is the sweatband also 2 1/4" wide?

Per mayserwegener's request, photos of the identifying marks in that old Peschel velour I posted photos of yesterday. As you can see, the original retail purchaser got it at a real bargain price. The sweatband is indeed repairable, but I'll hold off on that until I have a bit more confidence in my ability to reattach a loose unreeded sweatband. I know it can be done. It takes a very fine needle and a steady hand and a fair measure of patience. And a loupe might come in handy.

Thanks! If it is ok I will post the photos in the German - Austrian thread and at my site.

I should have weighed the hat before bringing it home. The brim edge presents thickness from the velour finish, but my impression was that it is quite light. Will check more closely and confirm.

I was thinking "Florida" might be a lighter weight Velour. I have nothing to go on with old A.P. Velours. My 20s A.P. Velour doesn't have anything in the Quality box. It's a heavy weight Velour.

14542155447_3d09cda2d7_z.jpg

Purplesage

One Too Many
Denton I agree "The store with a conscience" is a curious motto. I guess they are suggesting their competitors don't have a conscience!!! A retailer without a conscience is not a good thing:confused:

Dobb

Familiar Face
Comments on my new Stetson Amish II

I am really excited about my new Stetson Amish II Buffalo fur felt 4X in black that is on the way from Hatcountry in PA . I have been wanting a high round crown hat with flat brim. It may be a little big for me at 73/4 , but my 71/2 Stetsons are just right and not at all loose. They get a little snug when my hair grows in. I figure a little reduction tape will do the trick. Or , it may be just fine. You never know.I've tried 73/8 Stetsons that I couldn't get on my head. I have not had this style hat before. Since it was a closeout , at half price (72.50), I had to have it. I am hoping the brim will be stiff.

Denton I agree "The store with a conscience" is a curious motto. I guess they are suggesting their competitors don't have a conscience!!! A retailer without a conscience is not a good thing:confused:

Perhaps we people living in 2014 see these things differently than folks did when that motto was adopted. These days we tend to think that that is blowing one's own horn a bit too loudly. The lady doth protest too much, etc. I'm confident that no modern dress-hat manufacturer would use the slogan "For Youthful Smartness," as Mallory did way back when.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy