Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bonked

New in Town
IMG_74301_zps06829cb6.jpg
Here is my newest, a Resistol Ten originally from Weber and Heilbroner. It is quickly becoming a favorite.
IMG_74281_zps1b1dfc7e.jpg

Last edited:

Bonked

New in Town
I`m pretty new to vintage hats but I`m jumping in with both feet. The Fedora Lounge is great and I enjoy the fine lids and informative comments. Here is another of my finds a Lee Rugby #2 with the bow in back. I`m struggling to date this one with the bow in the rear and no plastic liner also a translucent film behind the sweat. IMG_74331_zps9231e848.jpg IMG_74341_zps1b9e44e2.jpg

g.durand

One Too Many
gdurand, a question out of my profound ignorance, if I may: You posted a picture of yourself wearing an OR on another thread just recently and the hat doesn't have the "cattleman's crease," which I was under the impression was the only crease possible with that model. Can someone simply request a different crease from a seller? Thanks in advance.

tropicalbob--the Open Roads I have date to the late '40s to late '50s. Stetson issued many versions of the Open Road model through the years, most of which were most likely sold uncreased, or "open crown". The hats I have appear to have been sold that way. The current version, manufactured by the company in Texas that purchased the Stetson brand, issues the Open Road with a cattleman's crease, although I understand they are issuing a new version of the hat that will have an open crown.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
tropicalbob--the Open Roads I have date to the late '40s to late '50s. Stetson issued many versions of the Open Road model through the years, most of which were most likely sold uncreased, or "open crown". The hats I have appear to have been sold that way. The current version, manufactured by the company in Texas that purchased the Stetson brand, issues the Open Road with a cattleman's crease, although I understand they are issuing a new version of the hat that will have an open crown.

I'm going to give the guys at Delmonico a call and ask them. Here's the thing: I've got a 24 1/2" noggin, so I want to go with a 7 7/8. I'm all set for the Premiere Strat, but would reconsider for the Open Road as it has the slightly larger brim. How would you all describe the differences between the two hats?

Velour western

Very little in the way of markings in this old western - no store name imprint or manufacturer tags behind the 2" sweatband. Only a large United Hatters of North America label and a size label. There are some similarities to the Greentree Cheyenne hats. The ribbon feels to be silk (have to ask my wife to confirm), which if it is, would cause me to guess early 20th century rather than later. Crown is 6.5" brim - 3.5"... A fun find for $5.50.

velour1.jpg

velour2.jpg

velour3.jpg

Last edited:

bond

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Nice finds guys!
Here's a nice vintage 3x un worn in box had a cattlemans crease. Color is cream off white and one of my favorites that don't turn up too often in such nice shape. Actually is my 7 1/2 size too . Brim is 2 7/8

Old Boss Raw Edge

An early Stetson Boss Raw Edge of modest dimensions in close to original condition. It may have been sold and worn but there is no store imprint and only very faint signs that it might have worn a crease. The felt is of very good quality, light and supple (the hat weighs 3.5 ounces). Crown is 6", brim, 3". As is often the case with The Fray, the sweatband and stitching are in perfect condition allowing an easy look behind. There is no LOTXXXX stamp to be found, just a "kettle 2 1/4" stamp and some curious fountain pen ink notations. Pre 1920, perhaps early 20th C. The notations on the hat box refer to a different hat. There is an old pencil name and location - Kansas, Illinois, which in 2010, had a census population of less than 800.

oldboss1.jpg

oldboss2.jpg

oldboss3.jpg

oldboss4.jpg

oldboss5.jpg

oldboss6.jpg

oldboss7.jpg

oldboss8.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member