Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
Just when I thought it would be safe to wear felt again... Straw arrives in the mail today. Nothing really special, a 10 spot on Ebay. Lee "Nassau" with a LO. I'm a sucker for when I see Long Oval, and it was right there on the sweat! This one will be a good jeans and t-shirt hat. The vintage is probably late sixties to early seventies? The store it came from was in business from the 1920s and closed in the early 80s.
29082848954_88b5b1a621.jpg
29082850594_d4a82977ec_z.jpg
29598151072_fc6666d67a_z.jpg
29598149062_f598d97cde_z.jpg
29082846274_0698bcc257.jpg

I'm guessing ca. 1960, but whatever... it's just PERFECT, Red!! Congrats.

And just so you don't feel like the Lone Ranger, take comfort in knowing I also have a Dobbs Milan from about the same era arriving early next week. In my size, I have to grab them when I find them.

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
For $40 shipped I am stoked. Bad pics but it has the hairs showing in the finish. A short hair finish? Very dark chocolate color and looks great outside too. Still trying to get better pictures. I was stunned when I opened the box from my ebay seller.

I'm guessing ca. 1960, but whatever... it's just PERFECT, Red!! Congrats.

And just so you don't feel like the Lone Ranger, take comfort in knowing I also have a Dobbs Milan from about the same era arriving early next week. In my size, I have to grab them when I find them.
I figure we will get a few more days here in the Northwest of heat before the snow flies. I'm the only one around that even has a clue that straws should have been put away for the year yesterday! I can sneak a day or two in with my straws before the end of the month.

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
It is an old hat and seeing it makes my day. The smell of paper would likely indicate rayon. Silk smells like burnt human hair. Rayon seems most common after 1910. The quality of the fringe and rumple reminded me of this hat, which is c.1905 and has a silk ribbon.

11.jpg
There just has to be some sort of "Radar" you have to find these gems....amazing.

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
Thanks Fruno! I have had some good luck since I decided to stop snapping at minnows and wait for the nice fat salmon to swim by...:)
I haven't seen Petersham on too many other men's hats either. Just one more special thing about it. Ole's post in the Flagship thread seems to indicate Petersham was used on the earliest models.

I think that for a thinner mid sized ribbon, the Petersham seems to add a bit of attractive dimensions to the ribbon and make it stand out much more...gives it some boosted texture look to it. In the mix of wanting custom hats made, some hatters have told me they prefer to not work with it, I am not sure what the objection is, but we here sure love how it looks!

moehawk

I'll Lock Up
Thanks Luv! I may just have to look for one of those boxes so I can keep it protected.
I think that the main issue with the Petersham vs. a straight edged grosgrain is just a matter of traditional use on women's vs. men's hats. I like a straight edge better but it's a very minor issue. I'm not going to mess with original equipment on a hat this nice if I don't need to.:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ayanda