Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
View attachment 401936

Wormser Premier Quality Boater

3 1/2 inch Crown

1 3/4 blue and black ribbon

2 3/4 front 2 1/2 sides brim

I’ve had a passing interest in adding a boater at some point if the right one came along. This one however happened to be included with the Hopkins Panama so it kinda came in the back door. I knew going in this boater was going to need a little work to flatten its brim as the sellers photos showed a small bend. However the sellers photos did not even come close to showing how badly bent and somewhat cracked the brim was. I’m not sure if it got worse in shipping or if was just a shortcoming of the photos… as I couldn’t quite represent the damage even in my own photographs. Either way the brim was bent almost to a 45 degree angle in spots and the straw layers were separated like a Pillsbury flaky biscuit.

So my first experience with a boater turns out is in a reshaping exercise. I figured since the brim was so badly bent and already starting to crack…. I needed either a tremendous amount of steam…. Or actual get it wet to soften up the brim. I chose the later and just quickly ran both sides of the brim under the faucet which softened up the straw some. I then placed the brim flat down on the counter and slowly pressed it into a more flat shape. I then took my iron on highest setting with steam… placed a piece of parchment paper In between the brim and the iron to avoid burning the straw and worked my way around the hat pressing and flattening all the way round. Steaming out as much of the moisture around the way as possible as well. When it was done I set it out in the sun flat down on the brim to dry. Flipping it occasionally at it firmed up.

I did end up with a little bit of discoloration which is not too surprising but all and all I am very happy with the results. It might could use another ironing and maybe a dab of glue here or there for the long haul. But considering I was already figuring worst case scenario was that I steal the ribbon and sweat for another project… I’m gonna deem this one a success! “Happy Boating”

View attachment 401937 View attachment 401938 View attachment 401939 View attachment 401940 View attachment 401941 View attachment 401942 View attachment 401943 View attachment 401944 View attachment 401945
That is a super bonus Boater, Joe. Nice work on fixing the bent brim, too.

Love the ribbon and bow treatment, not to mention the crocodile teeth pattern of the straw. Always a favourite.

The Hopkins' Panama is a beauty, too. Like some other Loungers have said, I'd love one that style in my collection.

That is a super bonus Boater, Joe. Nice work on fixing the bent brim, too.

Love the ribbon and bow treatment, not to mention the crocodile teeth pattern of the straw. Always a favourite.

The Hopkins' Panama is a beauty, too. Like some other Loungers have said, I'd love one that style in my collection.
Thanks so much Steve. The Panama was not something I was really searching out… but when something like that falls into your lap it is hard to say no.

i am so surprised how comfortable the boater is…. I love the textures for sure.

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
Thanks so much Steve. The Panama was not something I was really searching out… but when something like that falls into your lap it is hard to say no.

i am so surprised how comfortable the boater is…. I love the textures for sure.
That Panama is so very desirable, Joe. Congrats on it falling into your lap and onto your head.

The Boater looks a beauty, too. And, if I'm not mistaken, it has the bon-ton ivy stitching. Nice find, too

Snowman

Practically Family
Royal Stetson Stratoliner in tan (fawn?). The first pics are as it arrived (including the stowaway near the size tag). After a little cleanup, it easily took a front pinch more characteristic of a Strat. Brim is 2 5/8” and crown is 5 1/2” open. Early ‘50s, I believe. There were no tags or labels under the soft leather sweatband. I included a pic with a Resistol silverbelly SanAntonio to show the color.
688E121D-865F-40D1-84A7-BC6A06FBC2D1.jpeg
1904A985-9B06-481F-AF3D-E3BF5FC170CE.jpeg
A9B6FBC6-B998-4E3E-876A-D7BF34A320FA.jpeg
54BC5BD1-462E-469C-A5B1-2B83F7A4CB77.jpeg

Attachments

• 68A4DD41-C1B9-437B-8258-8E49398D3EC1.jpeg
    68A4DD41-C1B9-437B-8258-8E49398D3EC1.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 100
  • 251E1627-D8C5-49B9-922B-CEA3FFD525A9.jpeg
    251E1627-D8C5-49B9-922B-CEA3FFD525A9.jpeg
    464.2 KB · Views: 89
  • A32A5E1D-1B57-4BB5-AB7B-71A865AA4668.jpeg
    A32A5E1D-1B57-4BB5-AB7B-71A865AA4668.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 50
  • 3DD41F14-D8E6-4D97-8DD9-D3A0EAB6209F.jpeg
    3DD41F14-D8E6-4D97-8DD9-D3A0EAB6209F.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 43
  • B589AA1B-E66C-4517-B77F-86DA3DD59CD8.jpeg
    B589AA1B-E66C-4517-B77F-86DA3DD59CD8.jpeg
    779.9 KB · Views: 43

The Shoe

One Too Many
Hi, first post on the new setup. I tried a boater on at Levine's in Downtown StL years ago and hated the way it felt on my head. I wasn't at all soft like a cowboy hat or especially a Fedora. I doubt I'll ever have one.
Later
That’s my concern if I buy one without trying it on first.
View attachment 401936

3 1/2 inch Crown

I’ve had a passing interest in adding a boater at some point if the right one came along. This one however happened to be included with the Hopkins Panama so it kinda came in the back door. I knew going in this boater was going to need a little work to flatten its brim as the sellers photos showed a small bend. However the sellers photos did not even come close to showing how badly bent and somewhat cracked the brim was. I’m not sure if it got worse in shipping or if was just a shortcoming of the photos… as I couldn’t quite represent the damage even in my own photographs. Either way the brim was bent almost to a 45 degree angle in spots and the straw layers were separated like a Pillsbury flaky biscuit.

So my first experience with a boater turns out is in a reshaping exercise. I figured since the brim was so badly bent and already starting to crack…. I needed either a tremendous amount of steam…. Or actual get it wet to soften up the brim. I chose the later and just quickly ran both sides of the brim under the faucet which softened up the straw some. I then placed the brim flat down on the counter and slowly pressed it into a more flat shape. I then took my iron on highest setting with steam… placed a piece of parchment paper In between the brim and the iron to avoid burning the straw and worked my way around the hat pressing and flattening all the way round. Steaming out as much of the moisture around the way as possible as well. When it was done I set it out in the sun flat down on the brim to dry. Flipping it occasionally at it firmed up.

I did end up with a little bit of discoloration which is not too surprising but all and all I am very happy with the results. It might could use another ironing and maybe a dab of glue here or there for the long haul. But considering I was already figuring worst case scenario was that I steal the ribbon and sweat for another project… I’m gonna deem this one a success! “Happy Boating”

View attachment 401937 View attachment 401938 View attachment 401939 View attachment 401940 View attachment 401941 View attachment 401942 View attachment 401943 View attachment 401944 View attachment 401945
Great job. Hard to believe it’s the same hat!
Boaters are made of dry straw, so they're obviously not meant to be soft like a fur felt hat.
However, if the liner is made right and the sweat band is of soft leather with bon-ton ivy stitching, a Boater should be just as comfortable to wear as a fur felt.
For example, this W. Woods & Co circa 1920s Boater.

View attachment 401928 View attachment 401929
Everything about that one seems just right. The only one I’ve ever tried on was the round Bunjirow. A similar experience to @1961MJS.

That Panama is so very desirable, Joe. Congrats on it falling into your lap and onto your head.

The Boater looks a beauty, too. And, if I'm not mistaken, it has the bon-ton ivy stitching. Nice find, too
I'm not sure if it does. If so I did miss it. It's quite comfortable though. I'll take a closer look tomorrow

Royal Stetson Stratoliner in tan (fawn?). The first pics are as it arrived (including the stowaway near the size tag). After a little cleanup, it easily took a front pinch more characteristic of a Strat. Brim is 2 5/8” and crown is 5 1/2” open. Early ‘50s, I believe. There were no tags or labels under the soft leather sweatband. I included a pic with a Resistol silverbelly SanAntonio to show the color.
View attachment 401995 View attachment 401996 View attachment 401997 View attachment 401998
Nice addition Snow.

Hi, first post on the new setup. I tried a boater on at Levine's in Downtown StL years ago and hated the way it felt on my head. I wasn't at all soft like a cowboy hat or especially a Fedora. I doubt I'll ever have one.
Later

If you haven’t tried one with a bon-ton ivy floating sweatband you need to before you write off boaters. The hats are stiff and don’t conform, but those special sweatbands make all the difference. You can usually find used Ponte Rialto boaters at decent prices with these sweatbands.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
straw hat.jpg
Shirt (camo) 001.JPG

Yesterday we visited our new milliner, there's much to share, but for now I have bought the straw hat shown, only mine is a dark green, I couldn't find the exact colour on their website, but the hats are identical. Cheryl, that's our milliner, is going to make a camouflage hatband with an off cut left over after Tina had made the shirt. Watch this page.

View attachment 401936

3 1/2 inch Crown

That's a nice save, Joe. Not as new maybe, but perfectly wearable. Good work.

View attachment 401995 View attachment 401996 View attachment 401997 View attachment 401998
Very nice. Good find!

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
That one is a keeper, Joe.

View attachment 401770
Hopkins Genuine Panama
Fine weave - 5 3/8 crown
Black puggaree
Pencil curl brim - 2 1/2 to curl

This very cool fine weave Panama with pencil curl brim and sort of homburg stylings along with what would be my first boater came off a tip from @BobHufford I really like the styling of this hat and it is like no other straw I have. Among my finer weave Panama this one slips right in between the Muse and The Colonel in terms of weave. I’d like to work the brim some to see if I can get it to seat a little lower instead of curling even higher on top of the edge curl As you can see in the on head shots. I do believe though this one will be getting a lot of wear in the coming months. Thanks again Bob.

View attachment 401771 View attachment 401772 View attachment 401773 View attachment 401774 View attachment 401775 View attachment 401776 View attachment 401777 View attachment 401778

How it stacks up With The Muse and Lumson and Hubbard The Colonel.
View attachment 401779

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Fabulous, I love it, Esther made me a strat look-a-like, there's no cost saving with bespoke, but you do get much the same pleasure as you would trying on any made to measure item.

Maybe the sewing fairy that I married has spoiled me.

Snowman

Practically Family
Fabulous, I love it, Esther made me a strat look-a-like, there's no cost saving with bespoke, but you do get much the same pleasure as you would trying on any made to measure item.

Maybe the sewing fairy that I married has spoiled me.
Thank you kindly, sir. I think the talents of a good seamstress are akin to those of an artist.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ