Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Certainly is a standout liner!

Following on from the hat addition posted on Friday
- this one is from the Christmas batch too:

It's a "Luxor" too: Homburg in a dark grey with dark grey binding
open crown at 13.5 cm; centre dent 11.5; curled brim 5-5.5
The felt is nice and soft but very stiff - feels like a Bowler/Melone
The Luxor logo is the same as before, but the paper label and
the overall finishing are different, which I think is due to
the manufacturing period - I guess 70s (?).

43061004ig.jpg

43060997qh.jpg

43061008xz.jpg

43061001je.jpg

43060993ly.jpg

43060986ip.jpg

43060984bh.jpg

43060983bs.jpg

Mean Eyed Matt

One Too Many
I wonder if the hats are European in origin. When I looked into the King Felton hat I found that the retailer Alf W Goodwin was born in 1891 as Alf Thoresen and changed his name to Goodwin when he emigrated to the US. He returned to Norway in 1920 but kept the name. It could well be that he set up a connection for importing hats from the US. The King Felton hat and the Luxor hats you showed all have a straight liner seam, which is a feature of most American hats, while European made hats usually have the liner seam at an angle. It's very speculative and there are exceptions of course, but it's all I've got.
Thanks, Stefan, for the input and your view of things/the thing.
This may again be one of the mysteries that we (currently - perhaps never) cannot solve.

Mean Eyed Matt

One Too Many
nice "Luxor" hats Santa brought you, Matt.
I don't think there is one, but there ought to be a Scandivavian Hats / Hatmakers thread.
Thank you, Steve, for your kind comments.
And I was wrong: when I introduced the "Italian-Pseudo-Danish" Danfelt-Homburg,
I was looking for a Scandinavian thread, but didn't find one. Maybe it's also because
these hats are so rare (for us?) and therefore a "collection" didn't make much sense.
In your opinion, has this changed and would a new thread be appropriate?

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
Thank you, Steve, for your kind comments.
And I was wrong: when I introduced the "Italian-Pseudo-Danish" Danfelt-Homburg,
I was looking for a Scandinavian thread, but didn't find one. Maybe it's also because
these hats are so rare (for us?) and therefore a "collection" didn't make much sense.
In your opinion, has this changed and would a new thread be appropriate?
I definitely think it would be interesting to start a Scandinavian Hat Makers / Hat Shops thread, Matt. In fact, I've been contemplating starting it myself after having seen your post about not finding one.

Apart from the hat makers / shops of old, there are now two very accomplished custom hat makers in Denmark and Sweden.

It would be nice to collect the old and the new in one thread.

Mean Eyed Matt

One Too Many
Only one thing for it, Matt: we need more examples and therefore hats!
:eek: My girlfriend will... Oh, why am I telling YOU!?

I definitely think it would be interesting to start a Scandinavian Hat Makers / Hat Shops thread, Matt. In fact, I've been contemplating starting it myself after having seen your post about not finding one.

Apart from the hat makers / shops of old, there are now two very accomplished custom hat makers in Denmark and Sweden.

It would be nice to collect the old and the new in one thread.
I really like the idea of bringing together the old and the new
- and also the apparent/disguised beeing from somewhere else ;)
I was already thinking about a great cheeky name today,
but I haven't come up with anything suitable yet...
So please let me know when YOU have set up one.

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
So far this year, I've picked up two ca. 1920s/30s hats. I'm so pleased to say that the newest arrival was made in February 2022.

I never thought my first bespoke hat would be ordered in Canada, nor that it would be a Pork Pie. Just goes to show, you never know.

A big thanks to Robert of Wolfbrae Custom Hatters @belfastboy for his work on this one.

Tonak heather felt. Thick, but soft to the touch
10cm crown
5.5 cm raw edge brim
2.5cm vintage slate grosgrain ribbon with frayed edge.
Blue Paisley liner with the Wolfbrae logo.
Very soft and comfortable leather sweat.

I originally wanted a Fedora style hat that could be worn brim up or down, but then changed my mind. Thankfully, Robert was into the idea.

I thought I'd be wearing this one "classic" Pork Pie style, but as soon as it came out of the box, I knew it had to be brim down. It has a sporty, "Rat Pack" look to it.

A big thank you to Robert for his openess to my wishes and not least to his expert advice and abilities as a hatter.

I can wholeheartedly recommend Wolfbrae Custom Hatters to all on the Lounge!

20220222_160506.jpg 20220222_160513.jpg 20220222_160525.jpg 20220222_160612.jpg 20220222_160659.jpg

20220222_160538.jpg

So far this year, I've picked up two ca. 1920s/30s hats. I'm so pleased to say that the newest arrival was made in February 2022.

I never thought my first bespoke hat would be ordered in Canada, nor that it would be a Pork Pie. Just goes to show, you never know.

A big thanks to Robert of Wolfbrae Custom Hatters @belfastboy for his work on this one.

10cm crown
5.5 cm raw edge brim

I originally wanted a Fedora style hat that could be worn brim up or down, but then changed my mind. Thankfully, Robert was into the idea.

I thought I'd be wearing this one "classic" Pork Pie style, but as soon as it came out of the box, I knew it had to be brim down. It has a sporty, "Rat Pack" look to it.

A big thank you to Robert for his openess to my wishes and not least to his expert advice and abilities as a hatter.

View attachment 404388 View attachment 404389 View attachment 404390 View attachment 404391 View attachment 404392

View attachment 404393
Nice looking felt. Steve and fine finishes too.

The Shoe

One Too Many

10cm crown
5.5 cm raw edge brim

View attachment 404388 View attachment 404389 View attachment 404390 View attachment 404391 View attachment 404392

View attachment 404393
Nice. Does that bow have a touch of black in it, or is it just a trick of the light?

The Shoe

One Too Many
A new Akubra arrived at our house yesterday - a Leisure Time for Etsuko.
9FCD7435-B014-4DC3-9375-824CE7A369B2.jpeg
DFAFCB11-0E60-40A1-89BC-881473B591C4.jpeg

She has been wanting to get an Akubra since seeing how my ones handled the rain. She also likes the sun protection afforded by the downwards brim both front and back. When I saw this one with feathers woven into the leather headband, I thought it might be the one.
80488780-FB39-4288-B549-2AF84BD3A862.jpeg

It was, and she’s very happy with it.
167515A9-866A-439B-B48B-784E1779EAC4.jpeg

StoryPNW

Practically Family
View attachment 404703 View attachment 404704
She has been wanting to get an Akubra since seeing how my ones handled the rain. She also likes the sun protection afforded by the downwards brim both front and back. When I saw this one with feathers woven into the leather headband, I thought it might be the one.
View attachment 404705
View attachment 404706
I'd really like to get one of these for my wife, looks really nice.

StoryPNW

Practically Family
I picked this one up from Hats by the Hundred. They had a better size and colour selection than The Hattery Katoomba. Apparently, though, Akubra stock is low everywhere.
I just started looking again, and it doesn't look like anyone has one in the sand color in her size. Looks like I will have to put my name on a waitlist.

Granville

One of the Regulars
selentino.jpg selentino selfie.jpg Selention tip logo.jpg

Just the color I was looking for and a perfect fit. Two days in the freezer, another good brushing, and I removed a spot on the ribbon with a little alcohol. White on white logo underneath main Selentino logo in tip reads "Rose" and, inside a shield, "made in Czech Republic exclusively for Selentino Hat Co." "Genuine Fur Felt" embossed on sweat band along with "cool, classic, comfortable" and another crown and ribbon logo. A little staining on the liner and some discoloration on the very edge of the front brim, but overall in great shape.

View attachment 404703 View attachment 404704
View attachment 404705
View attachment 404706
very cool

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner