Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up

Attachments

• 05EB51D0-0C00-4751-B830-92EB4E23CA25.png
    05EB51D0-0C00-4751-B830-92EB4E23CA25.png
    4.3 MB · Views: 48
Swann hat manufactured by the Swann Abram Hat Co., Louisvillle, KY. Not a lot of information or many hats out there that I’ve seen in regards to this co. Some American Hatter info from the 1880’s indicating they were in operation and a few other bits and pieces. Saw an ad from 1895 and an order card published in 1942 for “Victory Hats”. Saw a few writings that they were the first with the Kentucky Derby hats but I’ve found no examples. Nothing beyond the 1942 example. The former hat factory is now the Grady Hotel. A 51 room boutique spot near downtown Louisville. The lounge is called the Wild Swann. The only other hat I’ve found was a Clear Nutria fedora RLK had for sale in 2013.

This particular hat is also in Clear Nutria and is as black as a hole. Dimensions are 3 x 6 OC with a shoestring ribbon. Slight flange. The felt is a western weight that is very dense and fairly thin with a nice smooth finish. The brim is firm but workable and the crown is also firm but has that clay like malleability I associate with 7X CB’s and such.
View attachment 424015 View attachment 424016 View attachment 424017 View attachment 424018 View attachment 424019 View attachment 424020 View attachment 424021 View attachment 424022
cont.
That is splendid find, Greg. Wonderful looking hat and with the box as well. Interesting that it has what looks like a clear plastic (or cellophane?) covering on the crown patch for such an early hat.

A few new hats came in this week. One was sent right along and will be posted in due time. Here are the others.
First one.
Laubin Grand Luxe Chiné Loden fedora in the colour Corneille (a mixed grey). Size 56 with the overwelt brim at 6cm and the crown at just under 9cm at the center dent. A fairly low crown on this one which had me thinking sixties or seventies. But the Laubin factory closed in 1955, so it must be from the early fifties. Weighs 105 grams. I really like the ribbon and bow on this one.

laubin corneille_01.jpg
laubin corneille_02.jpg
laubin corneille_03.jpg
laubin corneille_04.jpg
laubin corneille_06.jpg
laubin corneille_07.jpg
laubin corneille_08.jpg
laubin corneille_10.jpg
laubin corneille_11.jpg
laubin corneille_12.jpg

Monte

A-List Customer
Swann hat manufactured by the Swann Abram Hat Co., Louisvillle, KY. Not a lot of information or many hats out there that I’ve seen in regards to this co. Some American Hatter info from the 1880’s indicating they were in operation and a few other bits and pieces. Saw an ad from 1895 and an order card published in 1942 for “Victory Hats”. Saw a few writings that they were the first with the Kentucky Derby hats but I’ve found no examples. Nothing beyond the 1942 example. The former hat factory is now the Grady Hotel. A 51 room boutique spot near downtown Louisville. The lounge is called the Wild Swann. The only other hat I’ve found was a Clear Nutria fedora RLK had for sale in 2013.

This particular hat is also in Clear Nutria and is as black as a hole. Dimensions are 3 x 6 OC with a shoestring ribbon. Slight flange. The felt is a western weight that is very dense and fairly thin with a nice smooth finish. The brim is firm but workable and the crown is also firm but has that clay like malleability I associate with 7X CB’s and such.
View attachment 424015 View attachment 424016 View attachment 424017 View attachment 424018 View attachment 424019 View attachment 424020 View attachment 424021 View attachment 424022
cont.
I think I've seen a lot, and then this gem is gets some light shed on it. A 3/8 no less. Very nice. Thanks for sharing the hat and the research.

Third one.
Panizza Super Castorino short haired velour in the colour Dattero ( a deep brown). Size 56 (according to the label, but it's bigger than that, certainly a 57) with the overwelt brim at 6,5cm and the crown at 11cm at the center dent. The felt is fabulous on this one and it has two vents on each side. I think the "castorino" refers to the finish and not the felt. Weighs just 110 grams, which is lightweight for a velour.
panizza dattero_01.jpg
panizza dattero_02.jpg
panizza dattero_03.jpg
panizza dattero_04.jpg
panizza dattero_06.jpg
panizza dattero_07.jpg
panizza dattero_08.jpg
panizza dattero_10.jpg
panizza dattero_11.jpg
panizza dattero_12.jpg

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
Third one.
Panizza Super Castorino short haired velour in the colour Dattero ( a deep brown). Size 56 (according to the label, but it's bigger than that, certainly a 57) with the overwelt brim at 6,5cm and the crown at 11cm at the center dent. The felt is fabulous on this one and it has two vents on each side. I think the "castorino" refers to the finish and not the felt. Weighs just 110 grams, which is lightweight for a velour.
View attachment 424253 View attachment 424254 View attachment 424255 View attachment 424256 View attachment 424257 View attachment 424258 View attachment 424259 View attachment 424260 View attachment 424261 View attachment 424262
Some great new finds, Stefan. The colour of the Panizza is striking.

Looking forward to the day you find a Tirard in my size :cool:

The Shoe

One Too Many
Second new one. Also French and more about it in the French hats thread.
Tirard Ragondia in bleu. Size 56 with the raw edge brim at 6cm and the crown at 10cm at the center dent. Unlined it weighs 100 grams on the nose. I'm thinking forties on this one.

View attachment 424235 View attachment 424236 View attachment 424237 View attachment 424238 View attachment 424239 View attachment 424240 View attachment 424241 View attachment 424242 View attachment 424243 View attachment 424244
Love the colours on this one...like a brightened up version of the Homburg I got from Brent recently.
Not sure why, but the vents on the Panizza don’t appeal to me.

Love the colours on this one...like a brightened up version of the Homburg I got from Brent recently.
Not sure why, but the vents on the Panizza don’t appeal to me.
Thanks, Gary. I can see your point about the vents; it's what kept me quite a while from pulling the trigger on this one. I dislike the metal ones on hats and the style it brings to a hat will not be my favourite, but these plastic or celluloid ones om this hat don't bother me that much.

The Shoe

One Too Many
Thanks, Gary. I can see your point about the vents; it's what kept me quite a while from pulling the trigger on this one. I dislike the metal ones on hats and the style it brings to a hat will not be my favourite, but these plastic or celluloid ones om this hat don't bother me that much.
I think that rightly or wrongly, I associate vents with work hats. They don’t bother me at all on my Akubra Cattleman. But this is a really nice looking fedora that will never be a yard work hat for me. I love the colour, shape, ribbon and bow, but the contrast of the vent rings draws my eyes to my least favourite aspect of the hat.

I think that rightly or wrongly, I associate vents with work hats. They don’t bother me at all on my Akubra Cattleman. But this is a really nice looking fedora that will never be a yard work hat for me. I love the colour, shape, ribbon and bow, but the contrast of the vent rings draws my eyes to my least favourite aspect of the hat.

As a rule, I don’t care for these types of vents either, but in this case it’s a period correct feature and I don’t mind it at all. I think they soften the vibe and make it more of a casual hat and less of a dress hat.

Oh my days, Greg. What a great find.
Thank you, Steve. You've been making some notable finds of late.
That's a beaut, Greg. The finish looks great.
Thanks, Jim. If not for you, this one likely would have gone unnoticed by me. Lately, I've limited my searches to particular Stetson's I'm interested in. As it was, I had no plans to go as deep as the auction did but as time went on and I was able to find out a little more about the hat company and obsessively studied the pics, the more I came to realize it was as you said; "right up my alley", especially after it came in as a 3 x 6. Really enjoying this one. And the finish is fine.
WOW very nice!
Thank you, sir.
High quality all the way!
Jack, I couldn't agree more.
I love everything about it! Other than it’s not my size and I don’t own it …

Congrats again Greg!
Thank you, Bob. There's always a way to own it. Sorry about the size. Not.
That is splendid find, Greg. Wonderful looking hat and with the box as well. Interesting that it has what looks like a clear plastic (or cellophane?) covering on the crown patch for such an early hat.
Thank you Stefan. Nope, no cellophane. Likely the lighting. Onionskin type fabric. Seems to be the same material as the vapor barrier behind the sweat.
I think I've seen a lot, and then this gem is gets some light shed on it. A 3/8 no less. Very nice. Thanks for sharing the hat and the research.
Thank you very much. I thought I had at least a passing knowledge of most vintage US hat manufacturers. For most I was able to say, 'yeah, I've heard of them.' Not so with this co.

Thanks, Jim. If not for you, this one likely would have gone unnoticed by me. Lately, I've limited my searches to particular Stetson's I'm interested in. As it was, I had no plans to go as deep as the auction did but as time went on and I was able to find out a little more about the hat company and obsessively studied the pics, the more I came to realize it was as you said; "right up my alley", especially after it came in as a 3 x 6. Really enjoying this one. And the finish is fine.

I was a little gobsmacked at the final price - I figured the obscurity would keep it down. Wonder who your competition was?

Maybe it’s just the face pareidolia that’s freaking me out!
View attachment 424317
Oh, right! Pareidolia! Yeah, that's...ummm...nope, all I see are two itsy bitsy vents. Strangely, while I don't normally care for vents on hats I find these visually appealing simply because the color/hue stands out a bit on what is otherwise a rather monotone hat. Beautiful color(s), but I prefer a bit more contrast and those silly little vents are just the ticket.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk