Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
Thank you!

I agree, I think it falls into that crossover category that treads the line between dress and western. It also fits really well and even though it's not perfect the felt has a nice feel to it, soft and moldable.

I’ve grown to like the Gay Prince style as a casual and outdoorsy style. The softness and malleability of the felt is evident in the photos.

Mighty44

One Too Many
I've been away for a week but had a recently acquired hat waiting for me in the freezer when I got home, it is my Swann Hats Gay Pronce clone. It arrived a little rough and it's certainly not perfect, some mothing and a little staining and a few small holes in the liner, but after a little cleaning and some steam I like how it looks.
View attachment 455452 View attachment 455453 View attachment 455454 View attachment 455455 View attachment 455456
Looks great—perfect crease and brim. Very old Hollywood!

I've been away for a week but had a recently acquired hat waiting for me in the freezer when I got home, it is my Swann Hats Gay Pronce clone. It arrived a little rough and it's certainly not perfect, some mothing and a little staining and a few small holes in the liner, but after a little cleaning and some steam I like how it looks.
View attachment 455452 View attachment 455453 View attachment 455454 View attachment 455455 View attachment 455456 View attachment 455457 View attachment 455458
Looks like a heck of a hat. Don’t see too many Swan Hats pop up… much less one in a Gay Prince style

I don’t wish to appear to be argumentative, but I really don’t see that hat as western at all.

Maybe casual is a better word? The whip-stitch doesn't scream dress hat to me. But just my opinion. :)
The Gay Prince style might not be western in any traditional sense… however.. that whipstitch brim does give off some Sherif Woody from Toy Story vibes. On mine I had replaced the binding thread.. and used a bit thicker thread. I had it double threaded to match the original but with the thicker thread it SCREAMED Sheriff Woody.. so I pulled it out and went single thread.

48616F00-E9CF-4954-9CB3-E0656344A294.jpeg

Late 1950s Mallory Aristocrat Quality
Extra Light Grey/Tan Felt
Approx 4 1/2 crown as shaped
1 3/4 Black Grosgrain Ribbon
2 3/8 Brim with 3/8 Contrasting Binding

I took on this Mallory Aristocrat as a project. Looking past how dirty, stained and moth nibbles it showed in it photos.. (including one that appeared to go right through the front of the crown) … I saw one of my favorite brand hats… a Mallory (though it was listed as Vallory) in a very cool color combo. I thought it would make a nice project to clean up. The first thing I noticed, what I had assumed to be a hole in the crown was actually some stuck on crud. I was able to scrape most of it off and diminish its appearance. I then gave it probably the heaviest brushing I had to do to date (read: SCRUBBING) and was able to clean it up fairly well without going deeper. What you see here was just brushing… airing out in the sun and reshape by hand.

I was originally estimating based on the size tag and sweat… mid to late 1950s. I did find a sheet of newspaper folded up behind the sweat. Unfortunately they had cut the date off the paper. It was mostly help wasted ads… but I did find an obituary section with Nov 1959 listed. Which would maybe give some credence to the later end of that guess.

It can still use further cleaning to possibly remove some of the discoloration. There are some moth divots here and there… but nothing too drastic. I am actually amazed though I was able to get it in wearable condition with just brushing and sun.

92D3C3D0-0EA8-439A-A930-3E88AF6D68F7.jpeg

026D0F34-C63E-45CE-A457-20CB7CCC4227.jpeg
107BD3E0-D626-4C45-A722-C0BA3D9493E0.jpeg
60C44093-C592-4883-BA81-C85678A7C130.jpeg
89D1C3EA-2FCF-4022-947F-DA3DDA64B1DB.jpeg
14492B50-9E62-4A67-B043-48CA9576B50F.jpeg
E8124AB5-CA02-4759-AAD9-1C1716F21A9E.jpeg
2A2A63AC-3D49-411C-8714-DBEF8991BBDF.jpeg
E331E71C-F7B1-4170-B7A9-1386E13668E9.jpeg

Maybe casual is a better word? The whip-stitch doesn't scream dress hat to me. But just my opinion. :)

It's funny. I've always thought of the Gay Prince style as something more dressy.

My personal opinion is that if a guy showed up in any small western town wearing that hat, there would at least be some snickering, if not outright displays of amusement.
Now you all had me curious. Decided to take a look at some 1940s Gay Prince ads. Looks like they referred to it as a Town or Country hat. Which I would assume a sort of dressy casual hat for city slickers to wear on the weekend out of town.

8C423E50-19DD-4CCB-B288-5D298213A445.jpeg

interestingly though it looks like they were originally using “game bird” colors which I believe were heathered felts. I think Alan has a heathered GP. But all the ones I have found have been single color sueded type finish.

StoryPNW

Practically Family
Now you all had me curious. Decided to take a look at some 1940s Gay Prince ads. Looks like they referred to it as a Town or Country hat. Which I would assume a sort of dressy casual hat for city slickers to wear on the weekend out of town.

View attachment 455670

interestingly though it looks like they were originally using “game bird” colors which I believe were heathered felts. I think Alan has a heathered GP. But all the ones I have found have been single color sueded type finish.
Very cool ad, roughly what time period were the GP models started? 30s or 40s?

My personal opinion is that if a guy showed up in any small western town wearing that hat, there would at least be some snickering, if not outright displays of amusement.

I work in a small western town (population less than 2,000) where cattle ranching is the biggest industry and no one here would give the hat a second thought. I don’t see it as a western hat, but I’d feel perfectly hatted for a day of quail or dove hunting; both big local outdoor pursuits.

Mighty44

One Too Many

View attachment 455670

I think you’re right on—a weekend hat for guys who wear something more formal for work. Great ad—starting to think I might need one of these things! :rolleyes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko