Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
Bit of a backstory to this one. A few weeks ago our fellow lounger Wayne @the_imperialist posted a Berteil he won on the bay. I was approached about that same hat by another of our fellow loungers, because seller supposedly wouldn't ship overseas (except that he did anyway). It didn't work out and Wayne became the new lucky owner. But as luck would have it I knew of another Berteil that was on sale and so the hunt was on and here's the result.
Berteil fedora in blue or "bleu mattan" (matt blue) as the makers would have it. Size 59 with the raw edge brim at 6,5cm and the crown at 10cm at the center dent. High quality hat and felt as we've come to expect from Berteil. Berteil did source their hats elsewhere though and the manufacturer of this one can be traced as well. The colour "bleu mattan" is one used by Mossant, so we know this one is made by them.

berteil bleu_01.jpg

berteil bleu_02.jpg

berteil bleu_03.jpg

berteil bleu_04.jpg

berteil bleu_05.jpg

berteil bleu_06.jpg

berteil bleu_07.jpg

berteil bleu_08.jpg

berteil bleu_10.jpg

berteil bleu_11.jpg

Pellie

One Too Many
Bit of a backstory to this one. A few weeks ago our fellow lounger Wayne @the_imperialist posted a Berteil he won on the bay. I was approached about that same hat by another of our fellow loungers, because seller supposedly wouldn't ship overseas (except that he did anyway). It didn't work out and Wayne became the new lucky owner. But as luck would have it I knew of another Berteil that was on sale and so the hunt was on and here's the result.
Berteil fedora in blue or "bleu mattan" (matt blue) as the makers would have it. Size 59 with the raw edge brim at 6,5cm and the crown at 10cm at the center dent. High quality hat and felt as we've come to expect from Berteil. Berteil did source their hats elsewhere though and the manufacturer of this one can be traced as well. The colour "bleu mattan" is one used by Mossant, so we know this one is made by them.

berteil bleu_01.jpg

berteil bleu_02.jpg

berteil bleu_03.jpg

berteil bleu_04.jpg

berteil bleu_05.jpg

berteil bleu_06.jpg

berteil bleu_07.jpg

berteil bleu_08.jpg

berteil bleu_10.jpg

berteil bleu_11.jpg
Yes bleu Mattan is used by Mossant.... :)

Attachments

• 20230502_181215.jpg
    20230502_181215.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 39
  • 20230502_181321.jpg
    20230502_181321.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 37
Somewhere above I posted a large size top hat. It has come and gone, but last week my eye was caught by this.
Burton top hat. Size 61 with the brim at 5,5cm and the crown at 14cm. Allegedly this hat once belonged to the mayor of Rotterdam, but seller had no other information than that from the an who brought it in to her. If true the most likely candidate is Pieter Oud, who held the post twice, from 1938 until 1941 and from 1945 until 1952. Before that he was minister of Finance. Coincidentally born in Purmerend, only a few miles away from where I live. No way to back this claim up with evidence, but a nice thought anyway.
It is an older top hat, lined with cloth, which we don't see when Spoorenberg, the makers of Burton hats, started up the factory again post war in 1949.

Interesting to note that apparently they didn't have a sweatband large enough, so they constructed one. Top hats can't be anlarged and the sweatband is not a replacement so thisis orginal to the hat.

burton61_01.jpg

burton61_02.jpg

burton61_03.jpg

burton61_04.jpg

burton61_05.jpg

burton61_10.jpg

burton61_11.jpg

The possible previous owner of the hat mr Pieter Oud on the far left in this picture of 1933.
pieter oud.jpg

It warms my heart to see these grand hats in larger sizes. Wonderful find, Stefan.

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up

berteil bleu_01.jpg

berteil bleu_02.jpg

berteil bleu_03.jpg

berteil bleu_04.jpg

berteil bleu_05.jpg

berteil bleu_06.jpg

berteil bleu_07.jpg

berteil bleu_08.jpg

berteil bleu_10.jpg

berteil bleu_11.jpg
I want it, Stefan!

Forum statistics