Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I've got calls and emails in to the Sandusky County Historical and Genealogical Societies to try to find out more about the store, particularly, when it closed. That will at least provide one piece of info. I found that Isaac Dryfoos, the guy I believe owned the store, on the 1890 census, listing himself as a merchant. He had one son at the time, Nathan, who was living in Cuyahoga County (Cleveland area, much too far to run a store in Fremont) at the time of the 1900 census. I'm not sure who, if anyone, was minding the store after that.

I'm pretty convinced that The Fray is just the trademarked name for the patented sweat construction. As to Chamois being the brand, who knows. Right now, I've got very little on this one.

You can see the store where I bought the hats, as well as the rest of the trip in the Antiques, Albinos, and Touchdown Jesus thread in the Steamer Trunk.

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Good grief, people! The Lounge goes down and y'all go hat nuts. :eusa_doh:

A Borso pocket hat is on my list of 'hats I'd love to have'. And Lefty, that chamois hat is amazing. I can't wait to find out more.

There is supposed to be a hat in the mail to me, which I know won't fit. Still, there's a story behind it that I'll share when it gets here.

GWD

One Too Many
Stetson Boater

This arrived a few days ago,

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

This hat is in amazing condition for it's age.

brylcreem boy

One of the Regulars
My first hat purchase today- Borsalino Panama Quito Fedora with 2 1/2" brim and Tabacco Bow Band- was going to wait and take a picture outside tomorrow, but wanted to show it off now!! The start of my collection... can't believe it took me this long to discover style......

MyNewBorsalinoHatpurchasedon8-21-08.jpg

MyNewBorsalinoHatpurchasedon8-21-1.jpg

JeffR

New in Town
Greetings folks,

First time posting in the Lounge; nice digs!

brylcreem boy: Gotta say that for the first hat of your collection you've done yourself proud. Nice!

Cheers,
Jeff

indycop

I'll Lock Up
brylcreem boy said:
My first hat purchase today- Borsalino Panama Quito Fedora with 2 1/2" brim and Tabacco Bow Band- was going to wait and take a picture outside tomorrow, but wanted to show it off now!! The start of my collection... can't believe it took me this long to discover style......

MyNewBorsalinoHatpurchasedon8-21-08.jpg

MyNewBorsalinoHatpurchasedon8-21-1.jpg
I like the hat and the shirt! Now what's the cigar?:D

feltfan

Hoo boy, wait till Douglas sees this one.

I wish I had seen it! 7 1/2, eh?

I'd guess that sweat could not be newer than the 1930s, and
more like the 20s or even teens. I would further guess that it's a
beaver blend, as hats were then, and Chamois is just a name (like
chamois bike shorts or car cleaning cloths these days). Highly doubt
there's much goat in that hat and you wouldn't want a cashmere
hat if you could get beaver.

Congratulations.

Lefty said:
Dryfoos & Bach, Chamois, $75

This one is the prize...I learned that a chamois is indeed that goat-like animal shown on the sweat.
db.jpg

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Thanks.
I thought of Douglas the moment I saw it.
3477356%3B3%7Ffp34%3B%3Enu%3D3273%3E936%3E9%3C5%3EWSNRCG%3D323399%3B888684nu0mrj

I haven't heard back yet from the emails and calls I've put out, but I found a little bit more on my own. Take a look here. It says that his store closed a few years before his death in 1887. However, it lists the business name as Dryfoos Brothers, not Dryfoos & Bach. I checked out all of his kids and didn't see any mention of a family business. They all moved to the Cleveland area soon after the turn of the century.

Apparently, it was around in 1913, according to this postcard (I've snagged the image for myself) that's in an ebay store. The caption reads: Looking So. on Front; Fremont O Flood; 3-26-13
postcardfremont.jpg

Maybe the flood killed the business. I need the History Detectives on this one.

brylcreem boy

One of the Regulars
indycop said:
I like the hat and the shirt! Now what's the cigar?:D

That would be a Ashton San Cristobal.... was a birthday present from my boss... saving that for a smoke with him. I'm working up to that bad boy.. it's much stronger than what I have been smoking to date. It sure has a nice dark,oily wrapper- one fine looking Cigar and the shirt was a b'day present too-it's made by Cubavera.

bolthead

WoW.....

Lefty and Gene.
You 2 guys made quite the haul. The big trifecta......:eusa_doh:
Congratulations to both of you, they are 6 tremendous lids, for sure, especially that Chamois.....:eek:
What I wanna know is....Gene how are you gonna squeeze into that awesome Pocket Borso? It's a size 7.....that's my size ya know.....:D

bolthead

Stetson Challenger.....

It came in the mail yesterday.
What an amazing hat. And what a pleasant surprise as well. The color, more Blue, then Gray. I'm thrilled about that. Also was the ribbon treatment. It was the "Oneway" ribbon that we spoke of in another thread not long ago. :D
I may be wrong, but if I'm not mistaken, I think it's even a Mode edge.....and the Liner is, well what can I say.....see for yourself.

StetsonChallenger1.jpg
StetsonChallenger2.jpg
StetsonChallenger8.jpg
StetsonChallenger9.jpg

I like that the little bow is Gold instead of white or black.

StetsonChallenger3.jpg
StetsonChallenger4.jpg

Even the original box is in great shape as well. I have pics of that I can post also.

bolthead

Challenger Box

Here's the Box.....

StetsonChallenger7.jpg
StetsonChallenger5.jpg
StetsonChallenger6.jpg

She even had the original plastic covering the hat.
She said it belonged to her father, but she don't ever remember him wearing it, He's passed on, but her mother who is 92 said she's thrilled that someone like myself who collects and wears vintage hats is getting this one.
She even asked if I could email a picture to her of me wearing it. I got a kick out of that. 92yrs. old, how can I refuse. lol

LordBest

Practically Family
My newest hat, my first Panama. Not the best money can buy, or even the best I can afford (had I known it at the time) but beloved all the same.
Panama2.jpg

I beg your indulgence, but I can not resist showing my Top Hat. c1900, made in Munich, silk. A bit ragged at one point on the crown, it could do with some expert restoration but some how I think top hat restorers will be hard to find in the Antipodes. Not the best picture, I am afraid.
TopHat2.jpg

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Hello Flyer and welcome!

Pretty nice Dobbs you've got on the way. I'm unfamiliar with their more recent products but the ones I've got from the 40s and 50s are fine hats indeed. They often - in my opinion - outdid Stetson in fit & finish.

Wear it well!

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
The Rutherford B. Hayes Presidential Center Library in Fremont, Ohio was one of the
several places that I contacted about the store where my recently purchased hat was
originally sold.

db1.jpg

Here's a portion of the email I received today:

The last City Directory listing for this store is the 1914 edition. Mr
Dryfoos died in June of that year so that probably was the reason for the
closing.

We have a local history book with a 2 page history of the store and Mr.
Dryfoos. If interested this can be copied for $5.00.

Send a check to my attention made out to Hayes Presidential Center.

Now I know that the hat was sold in or before 1914.

Rather than send a check for more info., I think I've got a plan for another road trip.

As to Chamois, which I'm working as the brand, I've got nothing at the moment. However, I find it interesting that on the
Beaver Brand hats page, it states that BB started off as the Langenberg Hat Co. A search of that company shows that
it's listed as a current business in a very small town in Missouri...called Chamois.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buick