Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

carter

I'll Lock Up
Subvet642 said:
The ribbon is a nice touch, well done! On my monitor, it reads as turquoise, but I'll bet the sage looks terrific. I have a black Woolrich of similar design with a thin leather band that i've never liked (the band, that is.). Could I get away with a wider ribbon? How wide, and what color would you recommend?

You could definitely get away with a wider ribbon. I'd say as much as 23 lignes. I have a 4X Stetson Muleskinner in a Chamois (rust) color with a 3 1/2" brim and a 5" crown that I am working on converting to a fedora. It'll have a 2 5/8" brim bound with 12 ligne ribbon and the thin ribbon will be replaced with a 23 ligne almond ribbon. Now I need to figure out the bow. Off to the tutorial threads.

Try a grey ribbon on your black Woolrich.

panama jack

One of the Regulars
GWD said:
I picked this one up last week on ebay, it appears to be new, I can't find any evidence of use. It doesn't have a name but it looks similar to a Playboy.

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

I'm a little perplexed as to the date of this hat. It looks to me like early '50s, Jimmy can you confirm? Obviously this hat was pre-creased at the factory

That's a real beauty. Congrats.

UWS Cowboy

One of the Regulars
RBH said:
Cowboy, that looks nice on you. What is the width of that brim?

Thanks, and the brim width is around 39-40. I read some posts from a couple years ago which mentioned the bad quality of modern Stetson hats. Anyone know if they've fixed this problem? I don't have any vintage hats to compare this one to of course, but it seems to be fine. I don't doubt that it's not as good as an older hat, but it still seems to be of good quality.

warbird

One Too Many
He means the width of the brim from the crown break to the outer edge. I think it is 2 1/2". Looks like the Sovereign something I forget. I have a grey one like that.

They may have fixed an issue or two, but their felt is still not as good on the fedoras as it used to be, just isn't. However, it will wear well and should last a good while. I don't wear mine on terribly rainy days and have never had a problem with it. It's a great entry into the fedora world and you can wear it with casual or dress clothing. Enjoy!

UWS Cowboy

One of the Regulars
warbird said:
He means the width of the brim from the crown break to the outer edge. I think it is 2 1/2". Looks like the Sovereign something I forget. I have a grey one like that.

They may have fixed an issue or two, but their felt is still not as good on the fedoras as it used to be, just isn't. However, it will wear well and should last a good while. I don't wear mine on terribly rainy days and have never had a problem with it. It's a great entry into the fedora world and you can wear it with casual or dress clothing. Enjoy!

Ahh ok thanks for the correction, haha. It's right under 2 1/2. Glad that it should last a while, I've worn it in light rain but wouldn't in a downpour. I guess most mass produced hats aren't as good as they used to be? I have heard good things about Akubra though.

Subvet642

A-List Customer
carter said:
You could definitely get away with a wider ribbon. I'd say as much as 23 lignes. I have a 4X Stetson Muleskinner in a Chamois (rust) color with a 3 1/2" brim and a 5" crown that I am working on converting to a fedora. It'll have a 2 5/8" brim bound with 12 ligne ribbon and the thin ribbon will be replaced with a 23 ligne almond ribbon. Now I need to figure out the bow. Off to the tutorial threads.

Try a grey ribbon on your black Woolrich.
Thanks! I was thinking grey, but I thought it might be too obvious. Also, an almond ribbon on a rust colored hat sounds nice. I'd like to see it when it's done.

randooch

I'll Lock Up
Ribbons

Subvet642 --

I'd follow Carter's recommendations. He's forgotten more than I'll ever know.

(I was just going for the thinnest ribbon I thought might work, as an experiment.)

ken100

Familiar Face
Thanks RBH

Im just excited that I can now post pics, Im going to add a fairly inexpensive cuenca (forget how to spell it) panama from a few months ago, lives mainly on my boat.
CIMG1454.jpg

carter

I'll Lock Up
randooch said:
Subvet642 --

I'd follow Carter's recommendations. He's forgotten more than I'll ever know.

(I was just going for the thinnest ribbon I thought might work, as an experiment.)

shakeshead Thanks but that's not the case. Actually, I've forgotten more than I've ever known. Now, where were we....hmmmm.... :confused:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR