Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

billyspew

One Too Many
I have a few to post here (Whippet, French Made Disney, Lee), But here's my first.. a Sears factory blocked light grey "stingy", won on a second chance offer from the 'bay.

3522358293_7cb6e6d37b_m.jpg

3522358297_eeff739819_m.jpg

Bill

JPMcAdara

Familiar Face
billyspew said:
I have a few to post here (Whippet, French Made Disney, Lee), But here's my first.. a Sears factory blocked light grey "stingy", won on a second chance offer from the 'bay.

Bill

Hey Bill, that is a great looking hat. Can I ask how large the brim is on that one?

JP

buzzcat

New in Town
Greetings all. New cat here to the Lounge. I stumbled onto a new vintage (I think) Trilby a few days ago and needed to know more about it. So I went out to Google and came across this forum. How cool is this place?!

So, I figured I'd dive in by tossing out a few pics of the Bianchi Trilby and see if anyone has any info on it. Such as, when it was made. That kind of stuff. This seems to be the place where that knowledge calls home. Thanks in advance to anyone who does know anything about this hat.

bianchi01.jpg

bianchi02.jpg

bianchi03.jpg

bianchi04.jpg

bianchi05.jpg

bianchi06.jpg

bianchi07.jpg

bianchi12.jpg

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
barrowjh said:
Recently, Duane (thefedorastore.com) put Beaver Brand on sale. Sale began just before Easter, and the sale prices were still in effect as of yesterday. I could not resist this 'kangaroo' color all beaver in the thin ribbon - a classic Stratoliner clone, done new, and all beaver:
051009008.jpg
Is $320 the sale price?
It's a very nice looking hat and I don't mean to knock it,
but how could it be better than a custom from Art?
"...the BEST men's dress hat made in America". Really?

I'd love to know more about why these hats are so good.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I got my new Indiana Jones Bao Straw Fedora yesterday. I wore it today while washing my car:

0512091137a.jpg

I have mixed feelings about the hat. On one hand, it looks fine, is very comfortable, is very lightweight, and very breathable - exactly what I need for the summer.

But I just cant get over the idea that it was overpriced. Now, I know that in the overall scheme of things, this hat was relatively inexpensive, especially when compared to other straw hats of obviously better quality.

But Im a street-fair shopper. I have bought things, in this case straw hats, that were twice the quality of this hat, for half the price. If I had seen this hat on a stand at a street fair, I would have hesitated if it was half the price I paid for it, simply due to the low quality of this hat.

But Ill probably wear it most of the summer at camp, and itll serve its purpose well.

dostacos

Practically Family
Penman Beaver "MARLO" hat, gray

John of Penman had a few hats that he had built then the people decided not to buy, their loss MY gain. I love this hat. it reminds me of a hat that Clark Kent wore {the OLD TV program} anyway here are some pictures

pen1.jpg

pen2.jpg

IMG_0010.jpg

IMG_0019.jpg

barrowjh

One Too Many
Feltfan -

I didn't say best (or erred if I did) - what I said (or meant to say) was that the Beaver Brand all beaver hat was the best factory made hat on the planet.

It is impossible for a factory operation to match a hand-made hat; the factory hat will always have a very consistent finish to the felt, and that is what you see in the texture of my new hat, while the hand-pounced will generally have a bit of texture/character that is unique, a finish that is often somewhere in-between the typical factory finishes. The Winchester hat body (or Art's finishing process) produces a softer felt than the Beaver Brand, and although the Beaver Brand top-end sweat band is fairly soft, it is not as soft as the one Art put in my custom hat. I did not intend to get into a comparison of factory vs independent hatter.

I saw a recent post by Major Moore indicating that he ran late on a hat order because the first Winchester body (same lite felt Art is using) tore up on the block. A factory operation depending on imported felts is not likely to take that kind of risk on a regular basis, so the lite bodies that Beaver Brand is importing are probably a little bit more reliable, a little bit tougher, and a little bit stiffer, though still VERY, VERY nice.

The price was $255 for the base hat, plus a bit for the bound edge. That was about $100 off of their regular price ($200 less than a Borsalino made from the same felts, per hearsay), and that is what made me jump to try one. I did not already have a brown thin-ribbon. For the price, a really, really NICE hat. If they offer an all-beaver in a sage / olive color, my wife will kill me . . . .
051009008.jpg

bakers44

New in Town
I hit up a vintage clothing store here, and look what I found!

Old Dobbs 20 that was still unbashed when I bought it! :D
Photo1222.jpg

Photo1219.jpg

I'm not sure it was ever worn; if it was it wasn't worn much at all.
There are a few moth nibbles, but other than that the hat's in fantastic condition; and for $10 bucks I couldn't resist!
It's a 7 1/2 so it's a little big; but I can pad this bad boy up and I'll be good!
I'm debating putting a wider ribbon on it, as I'm not the biggest fan of thin ribbons; but I can't decide if I want to change the hat or leave it in original condition. [huh]
I think I'll get used to it if I wear it enough.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Really nice score, Bakers44. May I humbly suggest that you live with it for a while -- over time, I think you will be glad to have it in its original condition. If you get a chance, could you please post photos of the liner and sweatband?

Once again, congrats!

Cheers,
JtL

carter

I'll Lock Up
jimmy the lid said:
Really nice score, Bakers44. May I humbly suggest that you live with it for a while -- over time, I think you will be glad to have it in its original condition. If you get a chance, could you please post photos of the liner and sweatband?

Once again, congrats!

Cheers,
JtL
Totally agree! Try it in it's original state for a while. That's a terrific find.

dostacos, That Penman is just outstanding!

dostacos

Practically Family
carter said:
Totally agree! Try it in it's original state for a while. That's a terrific find.

dostacos, That Penman is just outstanding!
yes John may be a newer hatter, but he does absolute first rate work, I have 2 more on order, a Rorschach for my son and a Spirit for me. {better watch what I wear with the Spirit, with my beard and black hat etc they may thing I am Jewish:eusa_doh: }

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks for the clarification, barrowjh. I was, of course,
quoting the fedora store site. I agree it's a very fine factory hat!

Bakers44, VERY nice find!

barrowjh

One Too Many
Nice score, bakers44, beautiful find, and a really great price! Thanks, feltfan & HarpPlayerGene. I just checked thefedorastore's site and the price is now $320; 'sale' prices are gone. In comparison, the sale had brought the base price down by about $65.

RBH

Bartender
bakers44 said:
I hit up a vintage clothing store here, and look what I found!

Old Dobbs 20 that was still unbashed when I bought it! :D
Photo1222.jpg

Photo1219.jpg

I'm not sure it was ever worn; if it was it wasn't worn much at all.
There are a few moth nibbles, but other than that the hat's in fantastic condition; and for $10 bucks I couldn't resist!
It's a 7 1/2 so it's a little big; but I can pad this bad boy up and I'll be good!
I'm debating putting a wider ribbon on it, as I'm not the biggest fan of thin ribbons; but I can't decide if I want to change the hat or leave it in original condition. [huh]
I think I'll get used to it if I wear it enough.
Super looking hat!!! You are lucky!!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran